$25,000 EVH Frankenstrat review in GP

surfcat

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You sure do seem to think your opinions and speculations are a fact don't ya. Good luck with that chip on your shoulder.

No I'm looking at it from somebody else's perspective. You are looking at this from YOUR pocket book and not understanding the great amount of wealth that others have.

• Members

What's those arguments have to do with my comment about someone "Maybe" worrying about spending 25K on a guitar if they had 50 million in the bank?

You haven't explained why somebody who has $50,000,000 in the bank, is financially independent, and is getting over a million dollars a year in interest worries about spending 25K on a guitar?

• Members

You haven't explained why somebody who has $50,000,000 in the bank, is financially independent, and is getting over a million dollars a year in interest worries about spending 25K on a guitar?

I could only speculate why they might worry. Just like you can only speculate why they would not worry.

You sure have added a lot since the first post.

• Members
Well why don't you expand on this and explain how people with 8 figure bank accounts would consider this a "serious spending decision"

I know plenty of rich bastards that are still incredibly savvy. Often times, that kind of mentality is what got them there in the first place. But yeah, it doesn't make them an idiot if they want to spend an extremely small percentage of their money on something that the middle class wouldn't.

• Members

I don't have a problem with people paying the asking price of the guitar because no one is forcing us all to pay $25K for any guitar out there, just this one.

Now for me to look at it and say it is worth $25K, well that is a whole other thing, because for me and my income it would be a poor purchase. That's nearly half my annual salary after taxes. It would ruin me.

But if I had a ton of extra money laying around I don't think that I would buy it anyway. I've always been of the mindset that any purchase should valued based on the item's true worth, not what I can or cannot afford. I've negotiated many deals and one of the first things that a salesman will say is 'well what can you afford?'. That's frickin irrelevant. I could afford to buy a lot of {censored} for a lot of money, but I am going to pay what I think that it is worth, regardless of my financial situation.

That guitar is clearly not worth $25K when you look at it from that perspective. Total up the parts and the labor and even with very generous amounts it isn't anywhere close to that price. I think that $5-10K would have been a much more realistic price.

• Members

I know plenty of rich bastards that are still incredibly savvy. Often times, that kind of mentality is what got them there in the first place. But yeah, it doesn't make them an idiot if they want to spend an extremely small percentage of their money on something that the middle class wouldn't.

Right but who do you think would spend $25K on a frankenstein tribute guitar?

a) A 14 year old kid whose delivering newspaper in hopes of getting enough money to buy his first guitar.

b) Somebody who works during the day in an office as a janitor and at night as bus boy trying to make ends meet.

c) a wealthy baby boomer who inherited tons of money and is a huge EVH fan.

I'd say most likely C. If he can afford it and it makes him happy whose to say he's an idiot?

• Members

Well why don't you expand on this and explain how people with 8 figure bank accounts would consider this a "serious spending decision"

Here is your comment/ possible question that I first responded to.....

"If somebody has 50 million dollars in the bank, do you really think they would be worried about spending $25,000 on a guitar."

Here is my original response........"They might be"

How is my comment wrong?

• Members

Here is your comment/ possible question that I first responded to.....

"If somebody has 50 million dollars in the bank, do you really think they would be worried about spending $25,000 on a guitar."

Here is my original response........"They might be"

How is my comment wrong?

because if you are worth $50,000,000; $25,000 would be .005% of your networth.

It would be the equivalent of somebody with $10,000 in their bank account spending $50 on dinner, or somebody with $100 in their pocket spending 50 cents on a soda.

• Members

because if you are worth $50,000,000; $25,000 would be .005% of your networth.

It would be the equivalent of somebody with $10,000 in their bank account spending $50 on dinner, or somebody with $100 in their pocket spending 50 cents on a soda.

That does not make my comment wrong though. That just shows that all things considered they most likely would not worry about it from a financial perspective.

You assume a lot. You might be better off just asking someone what they mean by a comment rather then assuming what they meant and telling them they don't know what they are talking about. It makes you look silly.

• Members

This guitar -- like all the other high-ticket tribute/replica instruments -- is a luxury item for rich folks. For normal people with normal incomes, they're not even on the radar.

I could care less if some rich idiot wants to celebrate his (it's always a 'his') rich-idiot status with this -- or the Andy Summers Tele, the Jeff Beck Esquire, one of the Page Les Pauls, or anything else in that price zone, just as I could care less if his female equivalent wants to drop an equivalent amount of hard currency on a designer handbag.

It makes absolutely no difference to my life whether these things exist or not, and I can't understand why anybody would get wound up about it one way or the other.

• Members

The people who are blasting the price tag are pretending that this guitar is aimed at their target market. News Flash: If you can't afford a $25,000 luxury good, then you shouldn't get that upset; IT'S NOT MEANT FOR YOU.

Guitar companys are in it to make money, not to provide budding artists or hobbyists means of expression. Fender knew these would sell so they released them at the price point which was modeled by some Johnny Pencilpusher in the marketing department. FYI, all of them did sell.

If you want an objective approach, something worth $25,000 should (read: ought to) give that much value back to their purchaser. A Rolex Yachtmaster Watch of the same price should be made of according materials, or have high craftsmanship, which they do. They should also perform.

The real discussion here is: Should this thing be able to perform like it's price? It looks to me like what your paying for is hours of craftsmanship and memorabilia moreso than a playable uber-axe. Some people also pay hundreds of thousands for a ball Steroid McNeedle hit out of a baseball park.

• Members

Seems it came in with intermittent input jack problems and a poorly set up Floyd Rose-almost falling off and the springs rubbing the body that was audible through the amp.
:freak:
Guess if you can afford $25K you can afford another $80 to get it working at your trusty Guitar Center tech.

Sounds like they really nailed the original ;)

• Members

here's a pic of me with said guitar a few months ago, it was ridiculously detailed, it really looked like a total piece of {censored}! i didn't get to plug it in, but it didn't get on it's knees and tongue my balls which it would have to for $25,000...

Image016.jpg

i don't know why i look slightly 'tarded on that pic, i just do!

• Members

It makes absolutely no difference to my life whether these things exist or not, and I can't understand why anybody would get wound up about it one way or the other.

qft

i was hanging out at one of my vegas client's 4 million dollar house several years ago; and he was showing me his brand new S class benz he'd bought in cash a few days prior. in the corner of his garage were these 2 monstrous lanterns - they must've been 8 feet high. i was like "dude, wtf are THOSE?" and he says "oh, those are the original lamps that sat on both sides of the entrance to the old desert inn. i bought them at an auction before it was demolished." "oh yeah? what'd they run you?" "million bucks each."

people with {censored}-you-money care about 25 grand about as much as they care about anyone else's opinion what they do with that 25 grand.

• Members

Its fuuny but the parts invoved in making these relicas isnt even true to EVH's

originals. He used bass parts as well as available guitar parts. I built a closer replica in 85 and all for a whopping $250 then this $25,000 joke Fender/EVH

are trying too peddle.

And if you are a millionare youre not too savvy buying one of these at this price.

I doubt you can even resell them for half price.

Youre further ahead getting a good luthier too produce you a carbon copy for way way less.

People are Sheep though.

• Members

i didn't get to plug it in, but it didn't get on it's knees and tongue my balls which it would have to for $25,000...

For $250 you could get a person to do that for you -- I doubt a guitar could get it right, even if it did cost 25K.

I think that paying $25k for a guitar like that is absurd. Buying gimmicky, overpriced crap doesn't get any smarter just because a person has more money to burn. However, if somebody really digs the guitar, and they have the money, and they disagree with my blanket negative judgment of a guitar I have never touched, seen, or heard, who cares?

For that matter, who cares if any other poster on this board cares? Society doesn't require such quaint throwbacks as "community standards" or shared sensibilities about what constitutes a quality purchase, does it? Money makes its own morality and whoever got the $25k can do whatever the hell they want to do with it, too.

And for the record: I hope whoever bought one of those things shreds the crap out of it and loves every overpriced inch of the thing until their fingers fall off. That would make it a fine purchase, at any price.

Me, I'm going to go blow 15% of today's take on a six pack of beer and DREAM of having enough money to waste on a POS guitar like that EVH. Or maybe I should invest it and in six months I'll have enough to buy a 12 pack...

• Members

loves every overpriced inch of the thing until their fingers fall off.

It's not overpriced. Fender sold out of them. If it was overpriced, guitar center would be selling it at one of their "presidents day sales" for 50% off.

Whether you'd buy it or not is subjective but overpriced means nobody is willing to pay that kind of money for it. Obviously people are.

Archived