$25,000 EVH Frankenstrat review in GP

surfcat

• Members

Seems it came in with intermittent input jack problems and a poorly set up Floyd Rose-almost falling off and the springs rubbing the body that was audible through the amp.:freak: Guess if you can afford $25K you can afford another $80 to get it working at your trusty Guitar Center tech.

Otherwise, they seemed to like it. Yeah, I know, nobody's gonna really play it anyway-it'll sit behind glass at some stockbrokers house who always wanted to learn how to play....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What puzzles me about it is that the real one never looked exactly like that $25,000 relic, the neck/headstock and Floyd were being changed out at times. The original headstock looked like the one on the relic, but the original also was painted white/black, had a pickguard and a Fender trem. I believe the next neck he had on it had a black headstock & by that time he's added the red paint. There was an intermediate prototype Floyd that was on it between the non-fine tuner Floyd and the modern fine tuner Floyd, it almost looked fine tuners added to a non-fine tuner Floyd bridge, before the whale tail. anyway, the necks after the black headstock one were Kramers I think and had 22 frets.

• Members

What puzzles me about it is that the real one never looked exactly like that $25,000 relic, the neck/headstock and Floyd were being changed out at times. The original headstock looked like the one on the relic, but the original also was painted white/black, had a pickguard and a Fender trem. I believe the next neck he had on it had a black headstock & by that time he's added the red paint. There was an intermediate prototype Floyd that was on it between the non-fine tuner Floyd and the modern fine tuner Floyd, it almost looked fine tuners added to a non-fine tuner Floyd bridge, before the whale tail. anyway, the necks after the black headstock one were Kramers I think and had 22 frets.

I think one of the original Charvel necks had the big Fender headstock as well (visible on the VH 1 cover???). But yes, like Gilmour's black strat it was an ever evolving beast with the main consistent ingredient being the body.

• Members

Anybody who buys one of those is an idiot. Sorry.
:)

It's not like a PRS Dragon or anything.

No the idiot is you.

If somebody has 50 million dollars in the bank, do you really think they are worried about spending $25,000 on a guitar.

Also if you did your homework you could have gotten one for much less than 25K

• Members

Seems it came in with intermittent input jack problems and a poorly set up Floyd Rose-almost falling off and the springs rubbing the body that was audible through the amp.
:freak:
Guess if you can afford $25K you can afford another $80 to get it working at your trusty Guitar Center tech.

Otherwise, they seemed to like it. Yeah, I know, nobody's gonna really play it anyway-it'll sit behind glass at some stockbrokers house who always wanted to learn how to play....

Who made the replica's? Was it Fender?

• Members

They might be.

Well you just have no idea what you are talking about and this thread is a joke.

Again if somebody has 50 million dollars in the bank, why is it a big deal that they spend $25K on a guitar if it makes them happy?

Millionaires are a dime a dozen and there are several billionaires as well.

Now somebody who has 3 kids and is living on a job paying $11 an hour. Sure it would be ridiculous to go put a $25,000 guitar on your AMEX card but thats not who buys these guitars so your arguments holds no water.

• Members

These guitars wouldn't be made if there weren't people interested in buying them.

I look at it like buying a Custom Built classic car vs. buying an old junker and doing the work yourself--two different mindsets, but both of them are fine.

Takes all kinds in this world, and I'm not going to pass judgment. Just play what you have and be happy!

• Members

Nah, they would order the Chinese knockoff.

It's just as good. Right?

When you're paying for a $25,000 guitar, seems like you'd be paying for the name and collectibility at that point rather than the build quality and playability.

• Members

Well you just have no idea what you are talking about and this thread is a joke.

Again if somebody has 50 million dollars in the bank, why is it a big deal that they spend $25K on a guitar if it makes them happy?

Millionaires are a dime a dozen and there are several billionaires as well.

Now somebody who has 3 kids and is living on a job paying $11 an hour. Sure it would be ridiculous to go put a $25,000 guitar on your AMEX card but thats not who buys these guitars so your arguments holds no water.

You sure do seem to think your opinions and speculations are a fact don't ya. Good luck with that chip on your shoulder.

BTW...what argument are you talking about?

Archived