The Police....

deanmass

• Members

For myself, it means a 2 hour road trip somewhere...

Hey... I'm flying 1000 miles north of here to see them. You got nothing on me.

Okay, okay, I'm also going to visit my girlfriend and take a little vacation, in the middle of which I happen to be seeing a Police show. But still, am I a fan or what? :thu:

w00t w00t! Police! w00t!

I'm going to mention one more thing, for some perspective. When I was in high school in the early '80s, I'd scour record shops for Police-oriented stuff. I'd have friends come over and I'd put on a 45-single of Andy Summers doing "Someone To Talk To", the b-side of the "Wrapped Around Your Finger". Or, perhaps, I'd put in a bootleg VHS copy of "Brimstone and Treacle", the 1982 movie with Sting in the villain role. In 11th grade French class, I got extra credit for translating "Hungry for You (J'aurais Toujours Faim de Toi)".

In other words, despite my long-lasting love of clasic bands like the Who and Led Zeppelin, the Police have that level of importance to me, personally. I'd never forgive myself for not taking advantage of the opportunity to see them again.

- Jeff

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm really looking forward to seeing them. My plan is that, since they are playing at Dodger Stadium, I'm gonna go down a bit early, eat in Chinatown and wander around a bit, and then go over to Dodger Stadium and park. I avoid a lot of the traffic and it's fun. I was just down in Chinatown for Chinese New Year's last weekend, which was a lot of fun, and go several times a year anyway...always fun!!!

• Members

And you still wonder why they told you you were too old for that Dj/Techno Job??
:D

Well that stuff all happens in clubs...no problem there! I wouldn't go see Armin Van Buuren in a stadium with 40,000 other people, either.

The thing is, there are a lot of different ways to see music. I just don't like the whole HUGE ARENA CONCERT thing. I've gone to plenty of 'em and always wondered why I did afterward.

• Members

I just realized for the price of concert tickets, I could get a pretty good surround system for my home and buy the concert DVD when it comes out :)

Yeah, I know it's not the same thing...but then I'll have a surround system set up, which would yield additional benefits!

And yeah, if I had the time and money, I'd like to see the Police. But I would deal with all the Big Concert Crap to see Nine Inch Nails...Ken's post confirms that.

• Members

Well that stuff all happens in clubs...no problem there! I wouldn't go see Armin Van Buuren in a stadium with 40,000 other people, either.

The thing is, there are a lot of different ways to see music. I just don't like the whole HUGE ARENA CONCERT thing. I've gone to plenty of 'em and always wondered why I did afterward.

You should come over Craig,... I'll take you to a Tiesto Clubnight in Amsterdam!

• Members

Tiesto's great, I'd love to see him live. I've always liked Amsterdam, too
:)

I've seen him numerous of times... great sound!!

Last time was 5 years ago though.

Sparebedroom is on standby here so give a shout and we'll pick you up from the airport ;)

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I'm going Saturday. I have three extra tickets to Saturday's gig at Dodger's Stadium if anyone around here is interested. They're not great seats, they're the $55 ones (well, $63 or whatever they are with TicketMaster), but hey, it's The Police and the Foo Fighters.

• Members

I talked with a friend who went to see them in Vegas (he got comp tickets, he's a famous guy). He's a big Police fan and said they were lacking a bit of the spark they had in their youth, but that they still had the magic, and Stewart Copeland is as much fun to watch as ever. He really enjoyed it a lot.

• Members

I'm going Saturday. I have three extra tickets to Saturday's gig at Dodger's Stadium if anyone around here is interested. They're not great seats, they're the $55 ones (well, $63 or whatever they are with TicketMaster), but hey, it's The Police and the Foo Fighters.

I'm going Saturday too...Field Level, Section 44, right field side (or Andy Summers side). The last time I went to a big-venue show was Prince at Staples Center in '04.

• Members

Last night my daughter and I drove up from Austin to Dallas to see 'em.

Yeah, the arena rock venue has it's drawbacks - particularly in the sound quality. The American Airlines Center echoes and reverberates like one giant kettle drum, and you could probably hang laundry on the standing waves.

The outdoor venues have so much better sound these days, but of course there are all those other drawbacks to the outdoor venues.

I dunno, putting up with the hassle is part of the investment, and unless the concert itself is crappy or someone pukes on the back of your neck, can add to the experience.

Oh, yeah, to Police. They were excellent. Sting's voice sounds as good as I've ever heard it, Copeland still snaps that left hand like crazy when he socks that mid-high tuned snare. Summer's guitar was fine - he wisely toned down or turned off entirely the echo and delays considering the sound issues in the big closed space.

They related to the crowd and seemed to get into it especially in the last few numbers. And with just three guys, it felt more live and actual - unnoticeable filler from the sampler or other prosthetic audio devices.

Wow, the crowd in Dallas is different than the crowds in Austin. $200 jeans and high heels to a ROCK CONCERT?

nat whilk ii

• Members

Saw the Police last night here in Dallas (the second of 2 shows). I don't know how were Tuesday night, but I thought they were GREAT last night. Great set list (most hits plus some lesser known songs), great performace, cool staging, sound was as good as can be expected for a cavernous arena. Thumbs way up. I really enjoyed it.

For anyone who's interested, Andy Summers played a Strat all night - no signature Telecaster. Red (kind of scratched up), aged white p/g (slightly mint green color), 21 frets, rosewood fretboard, no skunk stripe, Schaller tuners, vintage 6 screw trem, brass saddles (like on his sig Tele)...Custom Shop I'm assuming. He basically put on a clinic for chording and playing exactly what the song requires and also threw in a few tasty solos. I dug it!

• Members

I'm in the middle of reading Andy Summers' autobiography "One Train Later" and I'm enjoying it a lot. The best part about it is that he actually wrote it himself, and he is a damn good writer.

Most auto-bios are co-written by someone else.

Archived