Sick of the ashtray on my tele, need a six saddle bridge!

Cyber_Chyld

• Members

Whilst I love alsmost everything about my telecaster, I'm getting really hacked off by the old school, 3 saddle, ashtray bridge.

Every time I play live I end up slicing my finger tip open leaving blood over my guitars (rock and roll yes, fun no!). I'm also having a hard time getting used to the intonation (or lack of it!).

So, I'd like to put a six saddle, non ashtray type bridge on it. Whilst I know a lot of people consider it sacrilidge, I reckon I'm happy to trade off any tonal 'losses' with an improvement in playability and intonation.

What are my options as regards bridges? The guitar's a '62 custom reissue MIJ tele, with the four screw bridge (through body strung).

If at all possible I'd like to avoid drilling any more holes in the guitar.

In an ideal world I'd like a 'bolt on' replacement.

I found this one on e-bay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270216982206&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

EDIT: Just found this too - http://www.sinewavemusic.co.uk/prod16gotmod.html

Looks to me like it's do the job, whaddya reckon?

• Members

There's a confusion in your post: the "ashtray" is NOT the bridge, but the removable cover found on the vintage models.

Anyway, everytime I replaced three saddles tele bridges by the six saddles ones, I lost a large part of the beloved tele tone. So, no six saddles bridges for me, but three compensated saddles ones.

• Members

There's a confusion in your post: the "ashtray" is NOT the bridge, but the removable cover found on the vintage models.

Anyway, everytime I replaced three saddles tele bridges by the six saddles ones, I lost a large part of the beloved tele tone. So, no six saddles bridges for me, but three compensated saddles ones.

Interesting, looks like this could be a bit of a journey.....

Re: Ashtray, I've just always heard them called 'ashtray bridges', but I suppose that's with regard to the 'ashtray' fitted to them originally. Hmmmmm......

• Members

That Gotoh bridge (in the second link you posted) is pretty much the standard replacement bridge for people who want to do what you're doing. I think the MIM Telecasters come with a Korean bridge that also works. I know a lot of people replace those with the older bridge, so you might be able to find one of those on eBay.

This subject has come up on occasion at TDPRI, so doing a search there could be useful to you.

The term "ashtray" is not official, and enough people use it to refer to the bridge itself, so referring to the original 3-saddle bridge as an "ashtray bridge" is quite acceptable. People will know what you mean.

• Members

MASSIVE FAIL.

A tele is not a tele without the ashtray.

My finger is not a finger when the skin is missing and bleeding.

A G chord is not a G chord when the 5th is not in tune.

See where you're coming from, but by the same token I'm getting really tired of injuring myself every time I play one of my favourite guitars!

• Members

My finger is not a finger when the skin is missing and bleeding.

A G chord is not a G chord when the 5th is not in tune.

See where you're coming from, but by the same token I'm getting really tired of injuring myself every time I play one of my favourite guitars!

I don't see how you're doing that!

lol

You're bringing your hand too far away from the guitar and hitting the strings too hard. You'll probably cut your hand on a 6-saddle as well.

• Members

I don't see how you're doing that!

lol

You're bringing your hand too far away from the guitar and hitting the strings too hard. You'll probably cut your hand on a 6-saddle as well.

No, it's totally down to the ashtray bridge. Never had any problems on any other guitar. My two gibbies with T-O-M bridges, no probs.

I pick ups the Tele, strike down on a chord and by the time I've hit the first chorus :mad:

It's just the edge of that bloody ashtray. I've thought about cutting the edge off around the base plate, but then I've still got that intonation issue.

Might try and get hold of one of those Ghotos and give it a go.

I should mention I'm quite an agressive player. I run 11s as a matter of course, and 12s on my downtuned guitars. I do smack 'em quite hard :lol:

• Members

hmm, I guess I see what you're saying.

When I play, I rest my palm on the edge of the ashtray bridge (similarly to resting it on the TOM on a paul) so there's no chance I'm cutting anything.

Well, different strokes. Just try to make sure you get brass saddles :)

• Members

MASSIVE FAIL.

A tele is not a tele without the ashtray.

Utter nonsense. A Telecaster is any guitar that FMIC (who own the trademark) sees fit to call a Telecaster. I'm sure they sell a lot more Telecasters with modern bridges than otherwise.

And it's pretty stupid to suggest that somebody's playing is at fault just because their guitar doesn't suit them in some way. If your feet hurt, would you assume that your feet were the wrong size for your shoes?

• Members

Hate to tell you this (partly because I'm an 'ashtray' bridge devotee myself -- it provides a perfect resting place for the heel of my hand), but Uncle Keef's pet Tele 'Micawber' has the 'flat' bridge, probably because since it's set up as a 5-stringer, it required a 6-saddle (rather than a trad 3-barrel) bridge.

Point being: any Tele Keef plays is a Tele. END OF.

• Members

my Callaham 3 saddle ashtray bridge is amazing

it is way comfy and the intonation is great.

they are really pricey, but i think you would like it a lot.

oh, and the sides of the ashtray are lower than other brands. i'm not a fan of ashtrays that have really high sides . . . . .

• Members

Utter nonsense. A Telecaster is any guitar that FMIC (who own the trademark) sees fit to call a Telecaster. I'm sure they sell a
lot
more Telecasters with modern bridges than otherwise.

And it's pretty stupid to suggest that somebody's playing is at fault just because their guitar doesn't suit them in some way. If your feet hurt, would you assume that your feet were the wrong size for your shoes?

your FACE is utter nonsense.

• Members

I smack em quite hard too
:cop:
But the fact that your cutting yourself is so stupid, you must be a huge retard.

so try settling down and controlling your hand when you play

Wow, did I really deserve that? :confused:

I have no desire to 'settle down' as you put it. It's called stagecraft, sometimes it just looks and feels good! Just try telling pete tonwsend to 'settle down' eh?

No windmills for you Pete, you're obviously a retard :confused:

Archived