Gibson has started to make new PAF

danuniversal

• Members

what about the dimarzio PAF p'ups? i was recomended these but they only go for 60 bucks. is this because they arent really good pups or are they just not in high demand? i plan on getting one maybe two for my les paul special.

imho, i think they are some of the best pup's i've heard, i have one in my guild elc. and it just kicks butt, very smooth, and warm.:thu:

• Members

imho, i think they are some of the best pup's i've heard, i have one in my guild elc. and it just kicks butt, very smooth, and warm.
:thu:

excellent. i did more research and review reading today so i've decided to definitely get one. which position would it be better suited for in my les paul, bridge or neck? currently i'm using the stock 490r at the neck and 498t at the bridge.

• Members

its funny all this desire for a pickup 99% of you don't even know what it sounds like. how many here have actually heard an authentic paf?

One of my Les Paul's has '58 PAF's (uncovered, unfortunately). They sound like no other pickup I own, even ones that purport to cop that PAF tone. There's an open-ness to them that I haven't heard in a modern pickup.

• Members

Just bought some 57 classics. I was under the impression that these were as close as you can get.

They're good, I have a few of them along with a few '57 Classic +. They don't sound like my PAF's, though -- they just sound like a good humbucker.

• Members

One of my Les Paul's has '58 PAF's (uncovered, unfortunately). They sound like no other pickup I own, even ones that purport to cop that PAF tone. There's an open-ness to them that I haven't heard in a modern pickup.

I bet if you measured the coils that they don't match. :thu:

• Members

Just bought some 57 classics. I was under the impression that these were as close as you can get.

The Burstbucker 1's are considered the closest available from Gibson. Both feature AlNiCo II magnets, but the BB1 is unpotted like the originals, and I believe only the BB1 is scatterwound, but that may not be true anymore. A caveat, aftermarket Classic '57's have been wax potted since they were introduced in the late '80's, but they didn't start potting the ones made for factory guitars until the mid-90's or so.

• Members

I guess that there are a lot of different opinions on what makes a good PAF and to be honest I think that it is going to depend on the listener. Getting the windings to be closer to the same amount will of course make the humbucking effect better, but from what I have read having uneven numbers of windings actually makes it sound better to some ears.

First thing to go when you start cancelling will be the higher frequencies, going with unevened numbers may actually cause it to act like some kind of filter so it would cancel some and not others. I would imagine that this would be like some kind of bandpass filter and with different frequency ranges coming out from pickup to pickup back in the day I would imagine that there would be all kinds of different sounding guitars. And with that I bet that some matched some amps better than others.

• Members

The Burstbucker 1's are considered the closest available from Gibson. Both feature AlNiCo II magnets, but the BB1 is unpotted like the originals, and I believe only the BB1 is scatterwound, but that may not be true anymore. A caveat, aftermarket Classic '57's have been wax potted since they were introduced in the late '80's, but they didn't start potting the ones made for factory guitars until the mid-90's or so.

I got'em brand new from samedaymusic.com. 57 Classic for the neck, and Classic + for the bridge. I'm replacing the stock pickups on my LP Classic.

• Members

I guess that there are a lot of different opinions on what makes a good PAF and to be honest I think that it is going to depend on the listener. Getting the windings to be closer to the same amount will of course make the humbucking effect better, but from what I have read having uneven numbers of windings actually makes it sound better to some ears.

First thing to go when you start cancelling will be the higher frequencies, going with unevened numbers may actually cause it to act like some kind of filter so it would cancel some and not others. I would imagine that this would be like some kind of bandpass filter and with different frequency ranges coming out from pickup to pickup back in the day I would imagine that there would be all kinds of different sounding guitars. And with that I bet that some matched some amps better than others.

:thu:It's totally subjective, I think many modern players would find real PAF tone bright and thin compared to the fatter, hotter HB's (including so-called PAF clones) everyone is used to.

Generally uneven coils will be brighter with better note-to-note definition, one coil overpowers the other so you get a tad bit of what happens when you have one SC more powerful than another, there is less cancellation compared to balanced, machine-wound coils (as a result there may also be a tad bit of added hum).

Archived