Strings! What kind do you play? what do you recommend?

RyanVanHalen

• Members

I play a Gibson Explorer, play tuned down 1/2 step and drop d, so C# G# C# F# A# D#

Play indie rock metal nonsense, love a brighter punchy tone, and I play through some effects and a JCM900

What kind of strings have you really enjoyed playing, what kind of strings do you think would work for me, and what would a good gauge be? I always go between 10's and 11's, but haven't really found just what I like.

Thanks! Let's discuss!

• Members

I like D'Addarios. I am not a fan of round G strings, which is generally what you get when you go up to 11's. You might try some light top/heavy bottom strings (10-13-17-30-42-52). That gets you a thicker bottom string than 11-49s while retaining lighter top strings.

After buying some Elixirs for my acoustic, I'm going to try some on my electric as well. But if you like super-bright strings, I don't think they'll work for you.

Oh, and if you're not doing it already, remember to lubricate your nut with some pencil shavings or graphite lube, wrap your strings properly to lock themselves, and set your intonation whenever you change gauges.

• Members
OK!
:)
So, Ryan's your real name, and VH is...not quite on your birth certificate?

lol not quite. It's a unique moniker I'll keep until my real name is a household name, though.

pluss.... doesn't that just flow off the tongue?

What else! I'm going to GC to buy strings today, and this is a huge help so far!

• Members
pluss.... doesn't that just flow off the tongue?

Yes, it does. And speaking of which, I had hoped you could tell us that you were actually Ed's long-kept little dirty secret... We all (most, many...) want to be his bastard child... Rock on, bro. :thu:

• Members
I play a Gibson Explorer, play tuned down 1/2 step and drop d, so C# G# C# F# A# D#

Play indie rock metal nonsense, love a brighter punchy tone, and I play through some effects and a JCM900

What kind of strings have you really enjoyed playing, what kind of strings do you think would work for me, and what would a good gauge be? I always go between 10's and 11's, but haven't really found just what I like.

Thanks! Let's discuss!

I use Ernies, Daddarios, and Gibsons. For that tuning I use 11-12-17-26-34-48

• Members

i like d'addarios. Bright enough, lively sounding, last forever. Never had a bad experience.

i used to use ernie balls but they sounded dead and would rust over in 4 weeks.

i have a set of dean markley blue steels right now and brand new they sounded like d'addarios that have been used for 4 months. Dead.

also have a set of elixirs on my acoustic which is nice because i dont play it much so those strings will last a while. However i find them very greasy/slippery feeling, as if theyre coated in lube.

• Members

I like D'Addarios. I am not a fan of round G strings, which is generally what you get when you go up to 11's. You might try some light top/heavy bottom strings (10-13-17-30-42-52). That gets you a thicker bottom string than 11-49s while retaining lighter top strings.

After buying some Elixirs for my acoustic, I'm going to try some on my electric as well. But if you like super-bright strings, I don't think they'll work for you.

Oh, and if you're not doing it already, remember to lubricate your nut with some pencil shavings or graphite lube, wrap your strings properly to lock themselves, and set your intonation whenever you change gauges.

+1

• Members

For that I'd suggest you try Dean Markley blue steels. Bright and punchy. For bass helps lend that crack of thunder sound. For guitar similiar equivalent for solid articulation and fullness of sound with little extra treble top.

Myself mainly use GHS 9's. Works perfect for me sound wise on my Warlocks. Better then other brands has tried. Bit crunchier then Dean Markley blue steels and not having the extra treble top of the Deans. Though theyre my 2nd fave string for my guitars.

If you had said wanted more smooth sound emphasis, would of said Daddario.

• Members

Hated Boomers
EB's were not bad, didn't feel very smooth
LOVE DR High Beams, Tite Fits were OK
In like right now with D'Addarios, no issues yet & they're cheap

The High Beams really made a tonal difference; high-gain rhythm stuff sounded more agressive. I haven't decided yet if it's worth the $$ to switch back, though. I may just stick with the D'Addarios.

Archived