• Members

Wildwood Flower
Billy in the Low Ground
Whiskey Before Breakfast
Red Haired Boy
Black Mountain Rag
Nine Pound Hammer
Forked Deer

All basic classics. Lot of versions of these on Itunes and YouTube.

Artists

Brian Sutton
Tony Rice
Doc Watson
Merle Watson
Norman Blake
Dan Crary

• Members

I sat in with a bluegrass band a few times just for fun at parties, and it was interesting. The guitar parts are really, really simple on the stuff they played. Just first-position chords struck in rhythm. All the solos were handled by the mandolin and fiddle player. I didn't really know the material, so I just watched the other guitar player's left hand and followed along.

My favorite bluegrass tune is "Uncle Pen" by Bill Monroe.

• Members

Not really bluegrass at all, but the same instruments. Check out John Hartford - Aeroplane and Mark Twang being probably his best.

Split Lip Rayfield is another great group. More or less traditional sound, but played with a vengence and dark lyrics. The bass player plays a bass made from the gas tank of a 63 buick!

• Members

Split Lip Rayfield is another great group. More or less traditional sound, but played with a vengence and dark lyrics. The bass player plays a bass made from the gas tank of a 63 buick!

What a strange band they were! Great sound when they were on, even if their work was a little uneven. "Flat Black Rag" is an absolute scorcher! It's really sad that their guitarist died from cancer not too long ago.

Archived