musicyo steinberger models

gus87

• Members

alright, this is seriously confusing to me.

I'm interested in buying a steinberger guitar (have my eye on the GM7SA or the GM2S) but there's a lot of mixed feedback about the products the musicyo dealer sells. this site seems really against it claiming they aren't authenthick quality instruments like the old models. the reviews on this site are also very mixed, with some people liking them (click) and some people smiting them (clickie). since there aren't any dealers nearby at which i can try the product (I live in europe) so if im going to buy it i'd like at least some clarity on the general quality.

if anyone has any experience or knowledge about the music models yo who could shed some light on this then it would be greatly appreciated :).

• Members

The Spirit models are certainly not quite the original 80s Steinbergers. For example, they replace all the graphite/carbon fiber/whatever with wood. My brother has one of the Spirit basses and it is fair for $300, but I can't say the general design thrills me. There is apparently no good way to adjust intonation, and the zero fret further hinders adjustability. Relative newbie to bass that he is, he's already dissatisfied with the pickups. Plays fairly well though.

No doubt the Spirit line isn't authentic, seeing as the advanced materials were a major feature of the original models, but I wouldn't say the quality is fail. I believe the Synapse line is quite good, but I'm no expert.

• Members

I bought my GM4S from musicyo in 2003

Copyof100_0703.jpg

Great guitar, about the lowest action of any guitar I've ever played, and has better intonation up and down the neck as well, probably due to the zero-fret.

Build quality on mine is very good, output jack, volume/tone knobs, selector switch, etc are still nice and snug after almost 5 years.

I also love the fact that once the strings stretch a bit, it stays in tune for days, even weeks at a time. As a matter of fact I just picked it up the other day after it had sat in the case for two weeks (I was playing my other guitars) and it was still in tune :)

Just have my first problem with it however, the spring for the Trem-spring adjustment knob is rattling around a bit, and I cant turn the knob in either direction (didnt do it two weeks earlier). Hopefully an easy fix, but if not I have good shoppes in the area to take it to.

I love my musicyo Steinberger, and would buy another in a heartbeat if it was ever stolen, or broken :)

• Members

000_0041.jpg

That's the honey-burst finish, btw.

Oh, and I've played a pre-Gibson Newbury Steinberger once at Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI a few years ago.

The neck 'finish' on the new musicyo Steinbergers have a satin, silky smooth fell to them, The pre-Gibson one had a much more Gloss paint feel.

Also, the neck heel of the new ones is much more streamlined for easier upper fret access, the pre-Gibson one had a big bulky heel, probably similar to a bulky PRS neck heel

• Members

Also, the neck heel of the new ones is much more streamlined for easier upper fret access, the pre-Gibson one had a big bulky heel, probably similar to a bulky PRS neck heel

I don't find my GL2TA (original series) to have a particularly bad heel - the upper-fret access seems pretty good.

From my perspective the biggest difference between the original Steinbergers and the new ones is that the originals were all one molded piece of graphite composite, while the new ones have bolt-on necks.

As for adjustability, the trans-trem system has GREAT adustability, and I find it to be a LOT easier to set up than a FR or equivalent. The spring tension is a single thumbwheel adjustment, and each saddle is individually adjustable for both height and length. Unless the frets are not right, you should have no problem getting it set up to play the way you like it.

FWIW, I've been gigging mine steadily since it was brand-new, and the only issue is that the SS frets are now getting pretty well worn out, and nobody local seems to know how to change them (phenolic fretboard).

• Members

Check out this Web site. They are not angry self-important mutant leprechans who have a track record of losing contracts with major guitar manufacturers (Steinberger, PRS, G&L, etc). Instead they enthusiasts who are relatively objective about the quality of all of Ned's products.

• Members

thanks for the replies. The gm4s looks solid, low action is certainly a big plus.

I've also read the steinburger world link and they seem to know what they are talking about.

Musicyo hasn't updated their stock in over a year.

I think they are a great seller, but I think they are never going to get any new models. Just my 2 cents.

If that would be the case then that would but a pretty big bummer. Since i can't import from america (most stores don't ship internationally) there would be little options left.

Also, i've run into a guy who is selling his steinberger, and he is stating that it is a 1995 Newburgh TransTrem model with a hollow body. Does anybody know if there is a difference between these Newburgh era models and the Musicyo ones? Are they more rare/expensive?

Thanks again for the help :)

• Members

Also, i've run into a guy who is selling his steinberger, and he is stating that it is a 1995 Newburgh TransTrem model with a hollow body. Does anybody know if there is a difference between these Newburgh era models and the Musicyo ones? Are they more rare/expensive?

I thought Newburgh was shut down before '95...maybe not, but it's close, time-wise. Yes, a 'Newburgh' model is probably worth more than a Nashville model, but check the serial number against the database at SteinbergerWorld.com to be certain.

• Members

Thanks again for the help
:)

The "Newburgh"s that their selling at MusicYo DO NOT have Trans Trems. I've always wanted a Steinie and one day when I get it will absolutely HAVE to have a Trans Trem. TTs take Steinies from being another variation on strings and frets and pickups connected to some carbon-matrix body/neck (albeit innovative, but it's still a guitar and still sounds and plays like a guitar) to that next even more innovative level.

Anyway the "new" News have the Moses neck with the satin feel and rounder fretboard edges, while the originals have the glossy neck with rather sharp fretboard edges. I always liked the feel of the originals, but I haven't had a chance to play anything they made since selling to Gibson.

Archived