Apple iTunes "Complete My Album" Campaign...

• Members

Apple introduced the "Complete My Album" feature Thursday on its iTunes Store. It now gives a full credit of 99 cents for every track the user previously purchased and applies it toward the purchase of the complete album.

For instance, most albums on iTunes cost $9.99 so a customer who already bought three tracks can download the rest of the album for $7.02.

Previously, users who bought singles and later opted to buy the album had to pay the full price of the album and ended up with duplicates of those songs.

Article:

http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pub&dt=070329&cat=business&st=businessd8o63d080&src=ap

Previously, users who bought singles and later opted to buy the album had to pay the full price of the album and ended up with duplicates of those songs.

... and in the end, the users had a full album in compressed crap format with duplicated files, at the cost of a CD...

To buy the entire album in digital format should mean actual savings (say, paying 8 dollars for an entire album of 12 songs), not only crediting for already purchased songs.

Songs, you can NOT listen other than your iPod and computer.

• Members

... and in the end, the users had a full album in compressed crap format with duplicated files, at the cost of a CD...

To buy the entire album in digital format should mean actual savings (say, paying 8 dollars for an entire album of 12 songs), not only crediting for already purchased songs.

I've heard if you burn the files to CD, and upload them back into your computer, you can play them anywhere.

But I personally don't own an ipod, so whaddo I know?

• Members

While I agree that the cost should be at a more reduced rate per album for compressed files, you absolutely can listen to your music elsewhere. I use iTunes, but I don't own an iPod and I almost never listen to music on a computer. I have a little Creative player I use for the gym, but mostly I listen in the car nowadays.

The key wrinkle is in iTunes purchases. Those you can't easily transfer, as Kurdy says, BUT there are ways around that. Takes a second, but it works. I'd easily say that no more than 20% of what I have in iTunes I got from them. The rest is from my CD collection, which I'm not even a quarter of the way finished in loading them up. Oh, and the Zune will load songs from iTunes, minus those iTunes purchases.

Peace

Actually I see no point with the Pro Tools + MOTU question :confused:

Ask Digidesign or MOTU when they may be joining forces, which most likely seems to be... never.

SteadyB, send me then a PM and explain me then how to use my ipod's music in other computer, other than my main iTunes machine.

At this moment, I uploead music into my iPod, then once I plug it into another computer, I then need to deledte all of its content to replace it with the host machine's iTunes library if it is not my own "base" iTunes machine.

BTW for those of you using those standard iPod earbuds, I understand why you do not care about the quality of the audio.

:wave:

• Members

I have access to three Mac's now. When I plug my iPod into a Mac it is not set up for the Mac ask me if I want to move my puchased songs from my iPod to the computer. It does NOT automatically want to wipe those songs off of my iPod.

I got the message from Apple about the new marketing push, but if I want the entire albume I usually grab a CD. For me, iTunes is handy for buying individual songs at times that I don't want a bunch of crap filler.

Robert

• Members

Maybe I have tin ears after too many years of playing, but I don't notice the difference between bought cds and itunes burned cds in my car, and I've tried buying songs I already owned and a/b-ing them. Must be me.

And I think its a fine idea, this album completion thing. When I buy the cd, in rare exceptions do i pay anyattention to the packaging or graphics. I wanna hear the music. So I DL it, put it on my ipod or burn a cd for the car (at least until iget a new stereo with a 1/8" in jack) and go. I also ripped all my old cds and now don;t have to worry about scratching them. 3 copies of London Calling later... :)

• Members

Actually I see no point with the Pro Tools + MOTU question
:confused:
Ask Digidesign or MOTU when they may be joining forces, which most likely seems to be... never.

SteadyB, send me then a PM and explain me then how to use my ipod's music in other computer, other than my main iTunes machine.

At this moment, I uploead music into my iPod, then once I plug it into another computer, I then need to deledte all of its content to replace it with the host machine's iTunes library if it is not my own "base" iTunes machine.

BTW for those of you using those standard iPod earbuds, I understand why you do not care about the quality of the audio.

:wave:

check versiontracker .com there are several freeware/shareware apps for PC and Mac that download content from an iPod.

:cool:

• Members

Ditto that.

At least my subscription service (for which I only pay about $6 a month) provides my music in a much better 160 kbps average bit rate (similar to VBR but targeted to a given bitrate).

Archived