Paging all lefty's, why it sucks to be one...

noelio

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:cry::cry: Sob Story coming up, so get the tissues at the ready.

I was born to a poor family in the East End of Londinium ( the UK's butthole ). I am fully 100% left handed, left footed, left , left and left . But in the 1970's, left handed guitars were rare and very expensive. So I had to play right handed. I didn't have the knowledge at my young tender age to reverse the guitar.

My left ( or dominant ) hand is my fretboard hand and I became a master of the Hammer on and Pull off, because my right hand cant keep up with the plec ..........so there yer go. Poverty made me a spastic . :cry:

• Members

Just buy an SG and flip it. the SG Is the PERFECT guitar to be flipped, it has symmetrical cutaways, the controls dont get too much in the way (its really not that bad) and the cable jack is not on the side of the guitar, messing with your hand. PLUS, the strap button is in the middle of the guitar. Ive been flipping good righty SG's in to menacing asskicking lefty's for two years now and they feel great.

• Members

Neither picking nor fretting are exactly natural movements for your hands, so while it would be a little more difficult to learn right handed guitar as a lefty it wouldn't be anywhere near impossible.

I'm left handed and play right handed and I believe it has taken away from my feel and style. I started lefty and my dad said - right hand please. I did the worst thing ever - I did that same to my kid!

All right handed people who don't understand - feel free to borrow my golf clubs and play a round.

• Members

Have you considered an Edwards?

100_1999-1.jpg

100_2001.jpg

Well I'm not going to buy a real Les Paul (Gibson), thats to pricey for me. lol

I was considering a Epiphone LP but really any LP copy that sounds good is fine.

How much would that Edwards go for?

• Members

I love being a lefty.

I play right handed though
:D

That's just how I learned when I was a kid.

I write left-handed, do everything else right-handed. I kind of figured out early on that trying to retain lefthandedness as dominant was a crutch. I mean, left-handed mouses? Left-handed keyboards? Left-handed pianos? There's an awful lot of specialty gear you seem to need if you're one.

• Members

thinking about it, shouldn't the dominant hand be doing the fretting? since it is the most complicated most of the time?

That's a common point used when alluding to the fact that lefties could switch to righty. Of course, if the dominant hand is great on the fretboard and the other hand is less than stellar on the picking/strumming end, it might not be so much of an advantage.

Though not without some merit, it seems to lose credibility when you figure how many righties are playing righty and not being tempted to switch to lefty.

I'm trying to imagine a righty saying to a friend, "I'm going to start playing lefty, because my dominant hand will be on the fretboa........ What? Hold on. Then I'd have to be stuck with the small selection of lefty guitars. Never mind".

Whether the prevailing thought is to have the dominant hand on the fretboard or for strumming/picking, the overwhelming choice of righthanded guitars has the biggest influence on whether someone chooses to play righty or lefty.

• Members
Has anyone else noticed how much more ambidextrous we are compared to righty's? If a righty had to play a left handed guitar, I figure he'd be pretty stumped! There are sooo many things I can do at least reasonably well with both hands that my righty friends can only do with their right.

Thats true. The only thing I do thats dom with my Left hand, is write, draw, and play guitar. Doing anything else is natural right or lefthanded. I could probably learn to play righty, but whats the use? I've been playing Lefty for years now, why change. Plus thanks to the net, its easy to find Leftys now.

• Members

That's a common point used when alluding to the fact that lefties could switch to righty. Of course, if the dominant hand is great on the fretboard and the other hand is less than stellar on the picking/strumming end, it might not be so much of an advantage.

Though not without some merit, it seems to lose credibility when you figure how many righties are playing righty and not being tempted to switch to lefty.

I'm trying to imagine a righty saying to a friend, "I'm going to start playing lefty, because my dominant hand will be on the fretboa........ What? Hold on. Then I'd have to be stuck with the small selection of lefty guitars. Never mind".

Whether the prevailing thought is to have the dominant hand on the fretboard or for strumming/picking, the overwhelming choice of righthanded guitars has the biggest influence on whether someone chooses to play righty or lefty.

Thats how I am. lefthanded but learned right handed. My left hand is lightyears beyond my picking hand, so Im always having to work on picking runs etc. hard to do complex work with your right hand. I also play as a drummer in another band and I do play open handed. I get a lot of funny looks from other "drummers" but hey, I play guitar dammit. to hell with drummers.

• Members

Thats how I am. lefthanded but learned right handed. My left hand is lightyears beyond my picking hand, so Im always having to work on picking runs etc. hard to do complex work with your right hand. I also play as a drummer in another band and I do play open handed. I get a lot of funny looks from other "drummers" but hey, I play guitar dammit. to hell with drummers.

Exactly the same as me. I also play drums for another band and I play open handed.

After a gig I once had a punter come over to me and ask why I was pretending to be a jazz drummer by playing open handed. When I exlained I am a spastic left hander he replied " Learn the right way then ".

I would have stuck the sticks up his arse, but he was bigger then me and had a beard * .

* People with beards in a place called Norfolk, UK need to be avoided at all costs.

• Members

Whiners. Quit then.

It seems like just about everyone, with whom I come in contact these days, plays a {censored}ing guitar.

"You play an instrument...how nice, which one?" GUITAR...ahhh I can't take it!!

If I had my way, you'd all be summarily shot for wanking.

I'd have to commit suicide once I'd achieved this goal, however. :lol:

• Members

nothing against you lefty's, i think its quite cool and unique, but left handed guitars just look WEIRD
:freak:

I'm left-handed and I couldn't agree more. I go through the world left-handed but see everything from the right-handed perspective. When I'm playing basketball and I see someone shoot left-handed it looks weird to me, not realizing I myself look that same.

I have no issues with being a lefty, as some ppl already pointed out it has its advantages as well. Especially the one were those pesky righty's don't get to touch my guitar. :lol:

My only beef is guitar selection, I'd like to put a righty in my shoes and see what they think if there in a music shop looking for a new rig. It would be hilarious. :poke:

• Members

Ever seen a left handed piano?

Left handed flute?

Left handed violin?

Left handed people should learn guitar right handed. End of story.

Usually one of these responses comes up every time a lefty posts something about guitar availability. :rolleyes::blah::arg:

Maybe everybody should be forced to throw a baseball righty too. Get rid of those lefty gloves. Heck, just put the baseball glove on your other hand and deal with it. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Some instruments are far less lefty/right in their feel than guitars. Sitting in front of a piano or any keyboard, does not tend to make me notice a strong or dominant hand.

And yes, if all guitars were right handed, lefties would cope. We are ambidexterous by nature and circumstance and would adapt. I'm just glad we don't have to.

• Members

I'm right handed but play lefty...that's the only way it felt natural to me when I was beginning...I can't hardly hold a guitar correctly right handed.

Which hand do you throw a ball with? I know many "Righties" who write with their left hand, seem to think they're lefties, when they're not.

For example, I write with my right hand, but I'm a lefty.

• Members

Ever seen a left handed piano?

Left handed flute?

Left handed violin?

Left handed people should learn guitar right handed. End of story.

Why don't you go $%$ yourself? You could've made your point without sounding like a prick.

The guitar is more unique because your 'control' and tempo hand is the picking hand, NOT the fretting hand. It's the wrist strength requirement of the picking hand that is what separates guitar from other instruments.

I play the violin righthanded because there's little wrist movement. The piano had both hands doing the same thing, as with flute and virtually all other wind instruments.

I started playing righthanded and 2 years later made the switch to lefthanded after fracturing my left hand pinkie. While my pinkie was in a cast, I was lucky to have borrowed my uncle's acoustic that he strung lefty, to give it a shot. I know the advantages and disadvantages of both.

If you're a lefty playing righty, and play Metal, you are {censored}ed and don't even know it. The strumming, palm muting, alternate picking etc cannot be done as accurately with your weaker hand. I know first hand. And I'm more ambidexterous that a true lefty.

It's much easier to teach your weak hand to fret than to teach your weak hand to strum.

• Members

I'm left-handed, but for some reason, have always played guitar right-handed.

I feel for you lefty's that play left-handed. Your stronger hand, the left hand, is put to more good use playing right-handed.

Archived