David Gilmour techniques

mnewb1

• Members

Any good websites for learning Gilmour techniques and solos?

I have bee to Gilmourish.com which is an excellent site, but it really doesn't break down how to play Gilmour's stuff.

Maybe something along the lines of StevieSnacks.com which has some excellent SRV stuff.

Thanks

• Members

Learning some Floyd tunes would be a great start. The "official" Tab' versions of recording by Hal Leonard are pretty good springboards if your learning by ear needs some support. Most are also written in standard notation (same book).

Youtube is also a pretty good place. They have lots of vids of your fav artist playing as well as reg' folks doing fine covers of tunes.

• Members

Learning some Floyd tunes would be a great start. The "official" Tab' versions of recording by Hal Leonard are pretty good springboards if your learning by ear needs some support. Most are also written in standard notation (same book).

Youtube is also a pretty good place. They have lots of vids of your fav artist playing as well as reg' folks doing fine covers of tunes.

Those books are a good start, but daves playing is so subtle that it can't really be notated all that accurately. The way he attacks each note, bends each note, uses the trem, etc. is a big part of his sound, not to mention his effects.

• Members

Those books are a good start, but daves playing is so subtle that it can't really be notated all that accurately. The way he attacks each note, bends each note, uses the trem, etc. is a big part of his sound, not to mention his effects.

Mmm....can't argue with that.

• Members

Gilmour has been my favorite guitarist for about half of my guitar playing life and my best suggestions would be to buy or rent The Delicate Sound of Thunter, PULSE and Remember That Night and watch them closely. Might even help to watch them with the sound all the way down on the third viewing.

One of the big keys is to be able to bend up, then vibrato that bent note with either your fingers OR the vibrato... as in you have to practice each way. That's absolutely essential.

• Members

I think David Gilmour stuff is great to learn on. I learned a TON of techniques from this material. The vibrato and phrasing are amazing to me, at least.

"Time" was one of the first complete solos I learned. And I still love to play it today, it is one of my favorite solos.

• Members

I should have added I used a tab book. This really helped separate out figuring out the notes and positions, from the vibrato techniques, which are hard enough in their own right.

Positions are key. For most material there are two or three places on the neck you can play it. Choosing the right one will really help you nail the sound, and thats where vids and (correct) tab come in handy if your ear hasn't developed to that point yet.

• Members

There's a dvd that I got for Christmas from Cherry Lane Publishing, called "How to play the songs from Dark Side of the Moon" or something. The instructor goes through every single note Gilmour plays on the whole album and breaks down each lick. It's done really well and I've enjoyed it.

I know you can find it on Amazon.

• Members

This man speaks truth. The most important resource for learning Gilmour's style is right here:

subpage_ear.jpg

• Members

There's a dvd that I got for Christmas from Cherry Lane Publishing, called "How to play the songs from Dark Side of the Moon" or something. The instructor goes through every single note Gilmour plays on the whole album and breaks down each lick. It's done really well and I've enjoyed it.

I know you can find it on Amazon.

Pretty cool.

• Members

This man speaks truth. The most important resource for learning Gilmour's style is right here:

subpage_ear.jpg

Amen. Technically speaking, Gilmour does very little that a zillion other blues and blues-influenced players don't do. What makes the difference -- and what makes him unique -- is his sensibility, not his technique.

It ain't about the chops.

He's not doing anything, chops-wise, that you can't learn fairly easily. It's what he does WITH it that makes the all-important difference.

• Members

Yeah, I love him to death and as I said, he's been my very favorite player for probably 15 years, but you can hear his technique come and go. If you watch Coming Back To Life on PULSE vs on Remember That Night, well... let's just tactfully say that he was having a better night on PULSE than on Remember.

But in my opinion, he is THE man when it comes to phrasing extended solos and building them up properly. And he changes them quite a bit... Look at the outro to Comfortably Numb. Sometimes the song is 6:30, somtimes it's almost 9:00. But regardless of the length, it starts low key, then builds up, maintains the plateau and sometimes goes a bit over the top which is still perfect. But each section is very well phrased.

I honestly believe that a rock/blues/country/melodic metal guitarist could probably learn more from Gilmour than any other single player, and then adapt that knowledge to your particular genre.

• Members

Yeah, I love him to death and as I said, he's been my very favorite player for probably 15 years, but you can hear his technique come and go. If you watch Coming Back To Life on PULSE vs on Remember That Night, well... let's just tactfully say that he was having a better night on PULSE than on Remember.

But in my opinion, he is THE man when it comes to phrasing extended solos and building them up properly. And he changes them quite a bit... Look at the outro to Comfortably Numb. Sometimes the song is 6:30, somtimes it's almost 9:00. But regardless of the length, it starts low key, then builds up, maintains the plateau and sometimes goes a bit over the top which is still perfect. But each section is very well phrased.

I honestly believe that a rock/blues/country/melodic metal guitarist could probably learn more from Gilmour than any other single player, and then adapt that knowledge to your particular genre.

He's got some tasty' phrasing that's for sure. :cop:Good post.

• Members

:thu::thu: on both of these posts.

I think that a lot of playing the guitar is about communication. A person can learn all the words in the language, work on their vocabulary, pronunciation, diction and whatever else you can think of. But there are only a few people out there that can say something like 'take off your panties' and every girl within earshot will listen. Sean Connery is like that.

But on a more serious note about communication you can know all the damn words, but if you don't have anything interesting to say than nobody will listen to you. Some people can say something very compelling with just a few words and that is great, but there are a few people that can just tell a tale that takes you to another place all together. Gilmour is like Shakespeare on the guitar; every note has meaning and if you are recreating it you can't improve upon it.

• Members

+100 on the posted comments.

I was very surprised at how "in the box" most of DGs solos are, but without the phrasing, vibrato, rakes, bends - and nailing them with his "feel" it doesn't sound good at all. The key for me was to force myself not to rush and to leave spaces between the phrases.

• Members

Amen. Technically speaking, Gilmour does very little that a zillion other blues and blues-influenced players don't do. What makes the difference -- and what makes him unique -- is his sensibility, not his technique.

It ain't about the chops.

He's not doing anything, chops-wise, that you can't learn fairly easily. It's what he does WITH it that makes the all-important difference.

+1

Archived