Jobs says people want to own, not rent

Billster

• Members

If everyone is allowed to license everything then what incentive will they have to give us anything new?

If they want more money then all they will have to do is increase their rates an threaten to take away what they are already licensing to us.

Right?

How does that promote innovation or creativity?

• Members

If everyone is allowed to license everything then what incentive will they have to give us anything new?

If they want more money then all they will have to do is increase their rates an threaten to take away what they are already licensing to us.

Right?

How does that promote innovation or creativity?

That's presuming that they're the only people producing music we want to hear.

I bought my first John Coltrane album (Ole) because Miles' Sketches in Spain was 5 or 6 bucks but I could get a cutout of Trane's Ole at the local supermarket for $1.79 (this was around the end of my sophomore year of HS)... I HAD two bucks but 6 bucks was a LOT of dough back then (two tanks of gas in the VW Karmann Ghia I'd get a little later).

And I LOVED that album after I got onto Trane's wavelength. And, amusingly, while I've owned Sketches now for well over a decade, I've just never found it anywhere as compelling.

Anyhow, to put it a different way: if the dinosaurs price themselves out of a market -- the mammals will eat their eggs...

Or something.

;)

But I kind of see what you might be getting at: if subscription providers could create monopolies over content and provision, they'd be able to extract greater and greater charges. But, honestly, I think that would require some massive market re-engineering that they're not in a position to accomplish... even through the typical recourse to their lackies in Congress, requiring an Army Corps of Engineers style we-had-to-destroy-the-valley-to-save-the-valley legislative effort...

And diverse markets tend to be genii that don't go back readily into their bottles...

Finally on to the really tantalizing element in your posts: the idea that artists should/could probably charge MORE for their oldest content because -- by and large -- everyone's favorites are the early albums.

By my reckoning everyone's favorites are almost always in the first four for any given artist:

The hipsters like the first one. The rock crits like the second and claim they saw promise in the first even though they never wrote a word about it. The people who read the critics buy and bond with the third. And Walmartland goes for the fourth, which features the London Philarmonic and a special guest duet with Justin TImberlake.

• Members

The hipsters like the first one. The rock crits like the second and claim they saw promise in the first even though they never wrote a word about it. The people who
read
the critics buy and bond with the third. And Walmartland goes for the fourth, which features the London Philarmonic and a special guest duet with Justin TImberlake.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :thu:

You still haven't answered about the tipping point - is it the quality that leans you towards the subscription service, or something else?

• Members

Yeah... that trusim came to me in pieces as I thought about what John Gnash had written about old material -- but, nonetheless, it just has that someone-else-must-have-already-thought-of-it-first feel to me.

Anyhow -- hopefully with the understanding that I'm not trying to suggest that what's right for me is right for everyone -- and that there are, quite happily, a number of alternative solutions -- I suppose I'd say that what keeps me satisfied with my subscription service is a matrix:

low cost - $7/mo

a huge library of songs

decent fi

convenience

information (Cover art / All Music Guide "tab" in player)

Cost -- well, what can I say? Right now I need to put money to other stuff. It seems like a churlishly small amount considering the ravenous bite other things are taking out of me (we all have our crosses so I won't go on) but the fact is that I'm watching pennies.

selection - I'm getting access to more music, on demand (not some "channel" picked out by a warm, fuzzy algorithm) than I've ever had before, than I've hardly dared to dream of -- for less money -- in terms of real, unadjusted dollars -- than I've spent since college (and that was a long time ago).

And, if I want, I can still go to the store or Amazon and buy a CD. Or iTunes and buy a DL album or single. Or WalMart. (But I don't think I'll ever buy any more DRMed WMAs, though, I had bad luck. I think iTunes obviously got that a lot better... I've never heard any widespread "disappearing rights" stories with iTunes's downloads. Maybe my experience was really anomalous but it wasn't more than a few months before Bill Gates dissed current DRM [meaning WMAs, among other things... of course this was in prep for the Zune release, cynics might think. Just maybe.])

decent fi - usually decent, anyhow. Can you tell the diff between it and the CD or even a high VBR Mp3? With the right material, sure. I just re-ripped some Yo-Yo Ma unaccompanied cello and the cello sounds the same but the air sounds different, if you know what I mean. But it's a real thing. Small. Barely noticeable. But if you're looking for it, you can hear it. (Like so much, I suppose, but, no, really, I hear it and it argues against my position, yeah? :D )

convenience - a bit of a mixed bag here... far more convenient than my CD collection or, holy crap, my LP collection (which is down in the garage anyhow so the on demand service comes in VERY handy when I want to hear that scratchy Belafonte record -- although much less handy when I want to hear the punk band from down the street that only sold 200 disks and they were hand labeled). That part is really convenient. But the MusicMatch Jukebox that my service uses is a bloated pain these days. I typically reboot before doing DAW work after running MMJB because it's such a hideous memory leaker.

information - the All Music Guide tab for artists and, often, albums is nice. You can set it up to automatically display the album song list or the All Music guide page for the album, etc. The album art is not big and restricted to the cover, though. And, so far, no luck getting album liner notes. AMG is the closes thing and it's a different thing altogether.

So -- is it right for everybody?

'Course not.

It's quite possibly not enough for many folks, who would want to augment their service with something else. And people who want to stretch out their audiophile systems are not, not, not going to be giving up Japanese vinyl for 160 kbps or 192 kbps or anything, probably with any kind of bit, for that matter.

The MM Jukebox might well prove to be too big a vexation to some folks, as well. The fact that this particular service is Windows only also shuts out some folks.

Hell, the fact that it's owned by Yahoo might likely send up a red flag, as well, for human rights/cyber-freedom reasons, as much as for anything.

• Members

My Radio and TV antenna work fine. I spend most of my music orientated time working on my own when I can get the time, besides being bombarded with music from too many unintentional sources constantly without let up. I'm starting to feel that paying for peace and quiet might be an attractive idea. Does Apple sell that?

• Members

OK... decent for $7 a month... how's that?
:D

Let's put it this way: much better than FM radio.

Sounds reasonable. Except for the FM radio part. I would have to disagree with that. In no way does any audio compression scheme compete with FM quality (with an acceptable signal strength-not some station 300 miles away...:)).

Not only do you not have the bizarre high frequency doo-doo going on, I think FM modulation does something pleasing to music. Of course, the mainstream squash isn't nice, but that isn't the issue here. :D_~

iTunes...

[waits for 160VBR talking point...apologies to Billster]

• Members

Well... we're gonna have to agree to differ here.

Clearly, they both degrade the signal. But I find the distortion, narrowed frequency bandwidth, greatly diminished dynamic range, and serious problems with stereo in FM to be pretty offputting. (And might I say that I spent most of my FM listening life with my Dynatuner, so I was listening over one of the more revered tuners out there. But I've also put in plenty of time with various "modern" tuners, as well.)

• Members

Well... we're gonna have to agree to differ here.

...I find the distortion, narrowed frequency bandwidth, greatly diminished dynamic range, and serious problems with stereo in FM to be pretty off-putting. (And might I say that I spent most of my FM listening life with my Dynatuner, so I was listening over one of the more revered tuners out there. But I've also put in plenty of time with various "modern" tuners, as well.)

I agree to differ. Or I beg to differ...or beg not to differ. Got any spare change?

• Members

Because bandwidth costs money.

The cost of delivery would increase massively.

understandable. However, being somewhat of an old timer on the web I remember when downloading a simple text report or a necessary slurp program would take all night long. Downloading a wav with today's bandwidth may take extra 5 min over an mp3. I guess 5 min is alot nowadays since you could buy a hamburger and fries and eat it in that time.

• Members

Hey, if you want to listen to 128's and don't care about the difference, that's fine.

If a
noticeable difference
isn't significant
to you
that's fine.

But
it is
pertinent to me.

I suggest you just
ignore
this talking point if it bothers you.

So, before CD's were invented, did you walk around with a turntable strapped to your back because a Walkman cassette player didn't sound as good? :confused:

Archived