Refretting

nuke_diver

• Members

It looks like my MIM strat probably needs to be refretted as the grooves are getting quite deep in several places and the frets were not mediums to beging with. I'm thinking about doing this myself since it looks like refretting goes for 200-300 (and probably on the high side around here) and that's alot to play for a $340 guitar even though I like it. I checked Stew-Mac and a refret tool kit is about ~$170 and wire seems cheap

My question is, what else would I need? Do I need a good size work bench with a bench vice? What isn't in the took kit that I might need.

What would it take a first timer to do this...1 hr/1 day/1week/1 month?

On the website I saw many different wire sizes. What is the wire size that equates to medium-jumbo frets?

Anything else that might be worth know would be great. I don't have a problem working with my hands but I have never done anything like this before and am more on the brute force end of things. The refretting would be on a finished maple neck

• Members

The hardest part will be getting your old frets out without splintering your fretboard. I've never done maple.... it's going to be tough to do without mucking up your finish. Fortunately maple doesn't splinter as easily as rosewood. Save any chips and reglue them in with superglue. Be sure to tape everything off real well.

I use simple tools that you can get from any hardware store... side nippers, plastic hammer, flat file, little hobby files for fret dressing, fine sandpaper, straigtedge. the only specialty tool was a crowing file that Stew-mac sells for about $30 I think.

Good luck!

• Members

The kit that I saw was this

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Fretting/Essential_Fretting_Tool_Kit.html

I have a 24" level so that would surfice as a straightend

I realize that some of these things can be had other, probably cheaper ways (rubber hammer for example). I thought that the kit had something that would get the frets out but now I'm not sure.

How is it usually done?

• Members

The main things you are missing are experience and know how. Just as having photoshop does not make you an artist, having the tools is only part of the equation.

You might do a passable job, but it's much more likely that you'll end up with a guitar that plays worse than you started with.

Practice on a junker or two first, is my advice.

• Members

The idea behind doing it on my strat is just that...it will cost as much to have it done as it will to buy a new guitar (nearly). A new neck won't be significantly cheaper and I may end up needing a professional setup (I can do some of it myself but if it is way off I usually can't get it good enough)

Of course the idea isn't to wreck it and if there is a high %age chance of that (and the fact that this would not be something I'd likely get good at since there would be years between refrets) it might be cheaper in the long run to get it done by a pro

• Members

Well I spoke to the luthier who does work on my guitar and he says refret on a strat is ~225. Not as bad as I thought so maybe it's not worth getting ~$200 worth of tools and messing up the guitar.

I think it would be nice to be able to do this myself but I have to be honest that it's something I would only do every 3-5 years so its unlikely I would ever get proficient at it.

Thanks for all the advice though!

• Members

I bought about $500 of stuff from stew mac a few years back. I've refretted 3 necks. 2 of them worked out. Taking frets out is the easy part. The hard part is once the new ones are in, getting rid of the uneven-ness. That can get tricky.

If you are a naturally picky person and patient, you should be alright .

• Members

What the biggest concern is for bring it to the Luthier is the last time I did (for a big hole in my acoustic), I came out with a fixed acoustic for $80...and a $600 Reverend
:eek:

It's always dangerous walking in there

You mean you blocked up the sound hole???

:D:D

Archived