Happy St. Georges Day

For further information on UK left patriotism, consult Mr Orwell's The Lion And The Unicorn, a favoured text of Billy Bragg, Paul Weller and me. I can't remember whether or not it was Orwell who defined the difference between a patriot and a nationalist as 'a patriot loves his country, while a nationalist hates everybody else's' -- but if it wasn't, it should've been.

I was listening to World news from the BBC and Billy Bragg had a snippet in there about wanting St George's day to have a similar effect for the English as St Patrick's Day has for the Irish. For one day, everyone can identify with you no matter where you are.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I was listening to World news from the BBC and Billy Bragg had a snippet in there about wanting St George's day to have a similar effect for the English as St Patrick's Day has for the Irish. For one day, everyone can identify with you no matter where you are.

That would be a brilliant idea so lathered on Guinness in March and lashed on ale in April:)

• Members

For one day, everyone can identify with you no matter where you are.

It will never happen in my generation. You have live in the UK to understand why.

It's a shame, but a fact.

You cannot debate it either in the UK. Once again you need to live here to understand why.

The only time we get anywhere near Billy Braggs vision is during the World Cup football tournament.

Hang on to your flagpoles in the States. I envy you.

• Members

Happy St. George's too. I'm ashamed to admit, I wouldn't have even known it was today. Although there's no missing St Patties over here in Americaland.

Welcome back to the troublemakers too. Not sure I should be seen associating with such delinquents :poke:

:D

• Members

Happy St George's day to everyone across the water.

Good to see those who have returned.

I'll pass on standing for God Save the Queen, though, if it's all the same to you.
:wave:

That's coo'. I always keep my ass firmly sat down until the ghastly thing is over ...

Unless it's the Pistols' choon.

• Members

Happy St. George's too. I'm ashamed to admit, I wouldn't have even known it was today. Although there's no missing St Patties over here in Americaland.

I bet we'd adopt it fer shure if'n instead of the wearing o' the green, it'd require sportin' the red white and blue!

"The USA belongs to me! The muddy water in the Mississippi River..."

(extremely obscure reference to my planned cover of a Cocksparrer song)

• Members

(extremely obscure reference to my planned cover of a Cocksparrer song)

Just don't mention that to my buddy, ex-Cock Sparrer front man Gary Lammin if his US gigging ever brings him to FLA. He pretty much left the band over what he felt was the excessive nationalism of that song ...

• Members

Just don't mention that to my buddy, ex-Cock Sparrer front man Gary Lammin if his US gigging ever brings him to FLA. He pretty much left the band over what he felt was the excessive nationalism of that song ...

It's fairly bad in that respect (though I love it for it's anthemic aspect), but I always felt that "'oo You Lookin At" song (dunno the proper title off the top o' my head) song was a lot more objectionable. Downright thuggish it sounded.

Of course I'm a Yank looking from the outside in, so no telling how skewed my vantage is.

Besides, any final version of mine would be more from the leftist "take back patriotism" Billy Bragg angle.

• Members

Besides, any final version of mine would be more from the leftist "take back patriotism" Billy Bragg angle.

The only kind I've ever had any time for, good Orwellian as what I am.

Nice you reference Mr Bragg, but I thought y'all in your contree had Bruce Springsteen to do that stuff for you.

• Members

Welcome back all. As I don't have much to say, I've been a lurkin' for years. finally joined to use the search feature a couple of years ago but never felt any need to join the pissin' contest. It is true that CSM and Ratae have made this place a must read and I'm just glad they're back. And Kick {censored}! JJ too!

• Members

I am curious about the notion of the left "taking back" patriotism from the right. Just what is meant by that? Having grown up in the Vietnam era, the left has never seemed to have much use for patriotism. As a matter of fact, most of the hard lefties that I know pretty much hate the US.
The taking back part is what confuses me. When did they have it?

Archived