No more brazillian rosewood?

Khronos

• Members

So i heard that you can no longer buy guitars with brazillian rosewood, at least from PRS.. Anyone else heard this?

Apparently you can not get new Modern eagles, santanas, artist upgrades, 513 rosewoods etc. Only what stores have on their walls and then no more... Anyone...Anything...

• Members

Brazilian rosewood is an endangered species and is illegal to import into this country is the way it was explained to me. Every so often a stash is found somewhere and a short run of guitars is done but even that will get rarer.

• Members

Brazilian rosewood is an endangered species and is illegal to import into this country is the way it was explained to me. Every so often a stash is found somewhere and a short run of guitars is done but even that will get rarer.

Hmmm... Sounds like a Brazilian Rosewood farm might be a good investment.

• Members

I might be going to Montana.

Pick me up some Rosewood plants

Ok, but it won't be brazillian rosewood unfortunately, and you won't really be able to harvest the ones that people want for about 50-100 years.. Decent retirement money, if yer not dead..

• Members

Like I said Dalbergia nigra is the species traditionally used for backs, sides and fingerboards and it is this species which is banned for use under CITES regulations. All the other woods might call themselves Brazilian rosewood because they grow in the region but most assuredly are not Dalbergia.

A problem arises where similar woods assume various names depending on who you are speaking to; for example in Britain Jacaranda is sometimes called Rio but elsewhere Rio is commonly used for Dalbergia leading to much confusion.

What gets me is that people think there is more than a 2 or 3 % difference in these woods.. It's simply a matter of prestige from a structural, functional perspective. Yes, some are visually superior, but they sound amazingly similar unless yer talking about an acoustic..

• Members

What gets me is that people think there is more than a 2 or 3 % difference in these woods.. It's simply a matter of prestige from a structural, functional perspective. Yes, some are visually superior, but they sound amazingly similar unless yer talking about an acoustic..

Exactly right; over on the Les Paul forum they go ape{censored} over the few guitars fitted with Braz fingerboards a couple of years ago like they were the holy grail.

With acoustics Braz is like any other tonewood; you get great sounding sets and crap sounding sets with no guarantee that, just because it's Braz, it's going to have some magic quality-especially with the rubbish, swirly-grained stumpwood you see nowdays.

• Members

Ebony makes a fine fingerboard. So does American hard maple for that matter. Perhaps they can start making some acoustics with maple bodies instead of rosewood. That should have a nice snappy tone.

• Members
Ebony makes a fine fingerboard. So does American hard maple for that matter. Perhaps they can start making some acoustics with maple bodies instead of rosewood. That should have a nice snappy tone.

I think you'd end up with a tone that only dogs 2 miles away would hear ... :)

• Members

supposedly right now they only use trees that have fallen, but other than it looking nice ive heard its harder than indian roosewood which leads to easier playing and is a little bit brighter so it mixes maple and roosewood together in a sense....pretty cool.

• Members

There are lots of examples of maple-bodied acoustics. I used to have a nice little 70s vintage Alvarez with flame maple back and sides and Gibson has made lots of maple-bodied Jumbos.

D

• Members

There are lots of examples of maple-bodied acoustics. I used to have a nice little 70s vintage Alvarez with flame maple back and sides and Gibson has made lots of maple-bodied Jumbos.

D

And I've never heard one I really cared for.

Rosewood>Mahogany>Maple. YMMV

Archived