No more brazillian rosewood?

Khronos

• Members
Originally Posted by fmw

Ebony makes a fine fingerboard. So does American hard maple for that matter. Perhaps they can start making some acoustics with maple bodies instead of rosewood. That should have a nice snappy tone.

I think you'd end up with a tone that only dogs 2 miles away would hear ...
:)

Quoting myself ... first sign of madness...

I thought he was talking about a hard maple fingerboard on an acoustic guitar :)

Maple body acoustics are excellent. My Yamaha has a spruce top but flamed maple back and sides. It also has an ebony fingerboard.

It sounds excellent :thu:

• Members

And I've never heard one I really cared for.

Rosewood>Mahogany>Maple. YMMV

Guild jumbo 12-strings are a great sounding maple bodied acoustic - generally considered by most folks to be the best sounding acoustic 12-string around, except by a few Leadbelly fans, who prefer the Stella..

• Members

supposedly right now they only use trees that have fallen, but other than it looking nice ive heard its harder than indian roosewood which leads to easier playing and is a little bit brighter so it mixes maple and roosewood together in a sense....pretty cool.

THat is my take. The instruments I've played with Braz rosewood boards (mostly early J basses that I can't afford) all seemed a tad snappier with a smoother feel. That said, these instruments are all also 45 years old, so It is hard to isolate out the tone.

• Members

They probably can't get it in sufficient quantities for their lines.

Also, there are new international laws about transporting endangered species across international boundaries.

Personally, I could care less. My old Martin has Brazilian rosewood and my new one has Indian. The new one actually sounds quite a bit better.

There is plenty of decent South American RW:

r4.jpg

This board is not Brazilian.

• Members

I've been looking for a dining room table on craigslist recently. Lots of not very attractive, used, solid rosewood tables out there for sale.

We should hack 'em up and sell 'em to PRS.

• Members

two early 60s Yamaha first line of classicals, all of my Yamaha Dynamics are maple as well, but these two show just how beautiful the wood was they used back then...and they all have very deep voices which may surprice some due to the fact that they`re maple...but they play and sound great...
a very rare No. 85 on the left and a not so rare No. 45 on the right...

forsaleIII208.jpg

• Members
Exactly right; over on the Les Paul forum they go ape{censored} over the few guitars fitted with Braz fingerboards a couple of years ago like they were the holy grail.

Yup, some of the snobs over on that forum could actually HEAR the difference in tone between Brazilian, Indian or Madagascar rosewood!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived