NPD - bg-pups V60's

wagdog

• Members

Just installed the bg-pups.com V60's I ordered a coupla, maybe almost but not quite 3 weeks ago. They went into my '74 strat, which currently had a set of bg-pups phattys, a set of GFS greybottom overwounds before that and the stock '74 pups in the mid/bridge and a humbucker in the neck before that (it was modded in the 70's before my family owned it).

I liked the GFS greybottoms, but I really wanted to try the phatty's in there. The phatty's sounded good, but didn't have that vintage vibe that went along with the 74' look. The V60's sound incredible.

Let's start w/the neck. Lots of vintage spank with the tone on 10, rolling back on the tone brings out a smooth, silky, 3-d sound that is responsive from the bottom E to the top end of the guitar.

Neck + Middle. Shimmering. "Sheeshy" if you will. So quacky you would swear it was a duck. I almost don't want to play any other combo of pickups it sounds so damn good. Clean, think SRV and Lenny, just brilliant, then add some hair and man it just burns.

The middle pup by itself is strong. Not my favorite position on a strat though.

Middle and bridge - hello Eric Clapton. Quack, quack, quack. Excellent.

Bridge by itself, rolling of the tone a hair, strong, not too trebly or brittle at all. Very nice.

I wired a master tone and bottom pot as a blender. That was the kicker combo: neck and rolling on the bridge about halfway - quacky, but with the ballsy bottom of the neck - I'm gonna abuse that combo for sure.

What an incredible value these pickups are. I'm not gonna touch the '74 for quite sometime, this set is staying put. Kudos to Bryan for winding this incredible set of pickups - I couldn't be more impressed.

If I can't sell the gfs greybottoms I'll probably put them in the squire bullet and either sell the phatty's or put them in my mim strat.

• Members

Thanks for the review. :thu: I've been interested in the bg-pups V60's for my best MIM project.

Have a couple of questions for you.

1) How surfy are the V60s?

2) How surfy are the overwound greybottoms? I was considering the vintage greybottoms but not a lot of forum members seem to talk about them.

TIA.

• Members

i just got my set of V60s into the Mason strat yesterday, actually, and think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread :)

Seriously. I love these pickups. Bryan kicks all sorts of ass.

Doc Morbius, The V60s are surfy alright!

Wagdog's review is spot on. I can't really add more to that. Vintage vibe all the way from these pups.

• Members

i just got my set of V60s into the Mason strat yesterday, actually, and think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread
:)
Seriously. I love these pickups. Bryan kicks all sorts of ass.

Doc Morbius, The V60s are surfy alright!

Wagdog's review is spot on. I can't really add more to that. Vintage vibe all the way from these pups.

Sounds like they may be overkill for a lowly MIM Standard and be better suited to an American Strat. :thu:

I'm waiting on tax returns and will probably spring for a set of them.

• Members

Thanks for the review.
:thu:
I've been interested in the bg-pups V60's for my best MIM project.

Have a couple of questions for you.

1) How surfy are the V60s?

2) How surfy are the overwound greybottoms? I was considering the vintage greybottoms but not a lot of forum members seem to talk about them.

TIA.

Very Surfy. There is a vintage vibe coming out of my ax now that's always been missing, even w/the stock 74 pups.

The greybottom overwounds, not so much. I did like these pups a lot but they didn't have as much "depth", as the phattys or the v60's, if that makes sense.

• Members

Sounds like they may be overkill for a lowly MIM Standard and be better suited to an American Strat.

I wouldn't call it overkill. I put them in my MIM. Now it holds it's own with the American Strats, imo. I'd put it up against just about any Strat with confidence.:thu:

• Members

Sounds like they may be overkill for a lowly MIM Standard and be better suited to an American Strat.

Not at all. I have a set of S90s in my MIM strat. Love em!

Archived