Stripping the poly finish off...

woodsmandan

• Members

I stripped a poly finish off one of my strats and it was a big mistake. The only way to get it off is sanding. Paint remover wont touch it. Sanding enough to get the finish off means you need to take some of the woof off too which means the area around the neck pocket is a bit smaller and the neck overhangs a littel. I did a natural finish which wasnt bad. Most guitars that dont have a great wood grain are usually painted a solid color so as I gessed the grain wasnt great. I wound up spraying it black and refinishing it. Overall it was a bad move but I did learn alot for the $200 I paid for it including a couple of fret jobs.

• Members

I could simply do that. Did you do it on the neck only or on the whole guitar ? What exactly did you use ?

I have used a green 3M scotchbrite pad with good results. You won't sand flat spots anywhere with it and it gives a nice satin finish. Mask the body off from the neck. If it looks too dull a quick swipe with some 3M Scratchout or other fine automotive polish will bump the sheen up to a semi gloss. If you like the look, you may want to do the whole guitar. Gives it a Fender Hwy1 looking finish.

• Members

I have used a green 3M scotchbrite pad with good results. You won't sand flat spots anywhere with it and it gives a nice satin finish. Mask the body off from the neck. If it looks to dull a quick swipe with some 3M Scratchout or other fine automotive polish will bump the sheen up to a semi gloss. If you like the look, you may want to do the whole guitar. Gives it a Fender Hwy1 looking finish.

Thanks, I'll give this a try before I do anything else :thu:

Archived