Stop Apostrophe Abuse NOW!

• Members

There are more important issues on everyone's minds, I'm sure.

But if you don't really know which of below are correct, then may I humbly recommend to your attention the Wikipedia article I've quoted and cited below.

a) ...more important issues on everyone's minds

b) ...more important issues on everyones mind's

c) ...more important issues on everyone's mind's

d) ...more important issues on everyones minds

from this Wiki entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe

The apostrophe ( ' , or

• Members

Yes indeed, here we are!!!

At St.Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast

where I stole the magarine

and wheedled on the bingo cards in lieu of the latrine

I saw a handsome parish lady

make her entrance like a queen

she was totally in chenille and her old man was a Marine

As she abused the sausage patty

and said "Why don't you treat me mean?! ;)"

• Members

I looked to see how the Wikipedia entry handled the most cumbersome part of this convention.

It took them two rules and they fought it to a draw. ;)

within
Non-English names

For possessive plurals of words ending in silent x or s, the few authorities that address the issue at all call for an added s, and require that the apostrophe precede the s: The Loucheux's homeland is in the Yukon; Compare the two Dumas's literary achievements. As usual in punctuation, the best advice is to respect soundly established practice, and beyond that to strive for simplicity, logic, and especially consistency.

Possessive forms of nouns ending in s

The special case of non-English names ending in silent s, z, or x (e.g. Descartes) is dealt with above.

• Members

... Maybe because I actually studied English... and you guys happen to speak it as as your native language.

I still feel bad about calling you a 'bastard'. :(

That was way back in the MP days. It was some humorous thread about your heritage and I called you a 'poor bastard", which wasn't meant in a derogatory way. It didn't translate well and you took offense. I call all my friends bastards, but of course this is a cultural difference.

Completely unrelated, but I felt like expressing it.

Terry D. :D ( I hope he sees this. :p)

• Members

I still feel bad about calling you a 'bastard'.
:(

That was way back in the MP days. It was some humorous thread about your heritage and I called you a 'poor bastard", which wasn't meant in a derogatory way. It didn't translate well and you took offense. I call all my friends bastards, but of course this is a cultural difference.

Completely unrelated, but I felt like expressing it.

Terry D.
:D
( I hope he sees this.
:p
)

Hey, dang it, it's "poor bastard", NOT 'poor bastard". Cain'tcha even cuss right???;)

nat whilk ii

• Members

:lol::freak::lol::freak:

Yes indeed, here we are!!!

At St.Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast

where I stole the magarine

and wheedled on the bingo cards in lieu of the latrine

I saw a handsome parish lady

make her entrance like a queen

she was totally in chenille and her old man was a Marine

As she abused the sausage patty

and said "Why don't you treat me mean?! ;)"

• Members

I've always been operated the assumption that,

to indicate the possesive, the apostrophe comes

after the s on the possessive word.

So the correct way to write the above line would be:

"more important issues on everyones' minds"

As opposed to using the apostrophe for abbreviation as in:

"everyone's going to the party"

( abbreviation of "everyone is" )

Before the s for abreviation

After the s for possession.

Maybe they teach it different in the USA?

Australian spellings are different to USA spellings.

For example we're taught to spell color as colour.

My Australian spell checker in FireFox identifies color

as a wrong spelling.

• Members

I've always been under the assumption that, to indicate the possesive,

the apostrophe comes after the s on the possesive word.

So the correct way to write the above line would be:

...more important issues on everyones' minds

Maybe they teach it different in Australia?

Australian spellings are different to USA spellings.

Dunno about Australian, but in the USA and GB, it's the apostrophe and then the s. The exception being when the word itself ends in s, like "Mrs. Jones' hat". If the spoken form sounds out two "s" sounds, then you might add apostrophe and the s to even a word that ends in s, like "the boss's shoes".

So it would be "....everyone's minds" since "everyone" is the basic word before the possessive is indicated.

But hey, maybe I've made an error - I think it should be "everyone's MIND", not "minds"....I'll look that sucker up.

nat whilk ii

These examples come from the Wikipedia article -

• Members

There are more important issues on everyone's minds, I'm sure.

But if you don't really know which of below are correct, then may I humbly recommend to your attention the Wikipedia article I've quoted and cited below.

a) ...more important issues on everyone's minds

b) ...more important issues on everyones mind's

c) ...more important issues on everyone's mind's

d) ...more important issues on everyones minds

from this Wiki entry:

The apostrophe ( ' , or

• Members

, making all kinds of transposition, homophonic mischoice, punctuation, and other sorts of
should-know-better
errata.

(Of course, spell check is almost as much a blessing as a curse, and the FireFox spellchecker's vocab is apparently not
nearly
as broad as my passion for less-traveled constructions... a third to half of the red underlines in my posts when I'm editing are perfectly valid spellings and constructions which I then feel compelled to look up.)

Blame it on the WWW.

Oh, typos and grammar and all such errors don't matter that much in web chatter. I tend to read stuff like BBS posts in half speed-reading mode anyway, so I probably don't even notice most of the mistake's. (hahaha)

The apostrophe case in point is one I see with increasing frequency in places like printed advertising, instruction manuals, letters to the editor, flyers from the high school - places where you would think people would at least care that their writing was up to a certain standard.

From what I've informally heard from parents and kids, it's that basic English grammar and spelling have been either dumbed way down or eliminated outright from the curriculum (curricula?) of many public schools. I noticed in the work place that, during the 80s, the incoming hirees seemed to be lacking in basic English skills. It's kind of leveled out now, but some stuff I learned about the same time I learned how to put on socks, a lot of younger people don't seem to know.

This apostrophe issue is a no-brainer - I think people have a vague memory that they've seen apostrophes used in plurals (that small number of acceptable usages) and they become unsure whether to use one or not. So to be on the safe side, they poke one in there at rather random times.

It's a matter of simple clarity and consistency in this case.

I know languages evolve and change, and they should, so I'm not the grammar police. I don't correct my kids at the table for every little pronunciation or grammar misfire (they don't hesitate to correct ME, 'tho). My parents acted like proper spelling was a bloody moral issue - actually it was, to them, a social class issue. I didn't understand that until I got a few decades under my belt.

But I do love well-written English - it's a beautiful and admirable thing. Clear thinking, clear communication, and a tad of beauty - grammar and spelling and diction should serve those values. They're not ends in themselves.

No different than sloppy guitar playing versus clean and in-the-groove guitar playing, really. You can either just get by or you can shine.

nat whilk ii

Archived