POST YOUR FAV HOLLOWBODY

bmast160

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really dig my Eastman:

IMG_0132-1.jpg

I was very surprised by this 70s Alvarez.

IMG_0179-1.jpg

I still have the early 50s Kay Crusader on the left.

kayharmonyarchtops.jpg

Kay K-1

kayk1.jpg

1935 Supertone, 1934 National Style O, late 1920s Oahu

supertonenationaloahu.jpg

This Mosrite Joe Maphis is hollow:

mosritejoemaphis.jpg

• Members

True hollowbody? That has to go to my 78' Cortez J200, my "end all" acoustic 6-string. The only thing it lacks is the true moustache bridge and Gibby in the headstock. It may have been made in Japan, but the wood has aged to "sonic" perfection and it is in mint, and I mean mint condition. Plays like a kitten.
IMG_0615.jpg
IMG_0618.jpg
IMG_0620.jpg
IMG_0630.jpg

• Members
Now that's nice - Give's those 335 Gibsons a run

The regular production Gibson 335, yes, most definitely. But some custom shop Gibsons are, as you know, amazing guitars that are among the finest anywhere. I wouldn't mind owning a nice 335 like Doc's. That's a beauty (BTW doc, nice clip!:thu:).

That being said, the Yamaha SA2200 is more of a 355 type (ebony FB, multiple bindings,etc.) and as far as feel it is very much an SA2200. Pics never do justice to guitars: it makes cheapos and top end look almost the same. When I pick up the Yammie and feel the solidity of it, the resonnance and the nice smooth neck, everything about that guitar screams quality. The mesmerizing beauty of it is just a bonus, it"s not even the best part of that guitar but it's the one most people comment on.

• Members

^^The finish on your Yamaha is almost identical to mine. The biggest complaint that I have about 335 style guitars is that a lot of players don't play 'em right-- they turn the volume and tone up all the way and play exclusively with the bridge pickup. That's it. There are so many other sounds that the 335 can do, but you gotta twist some knobs, pinch some strings, and let 'em feed back a little. If you are playing the bridge pickup all the time with everything up full, you might as well save some cash and get an SG.

• Members

^^The finish on your Yamaha is almost identical to mine. The biggest complaint that I have about 335 style guitars is that a lot of players don't play 'em right-- they turn the volume and tone up all the way and play exclusively with the bridge pickup. That's it. There are so many other sounds that the 335 can do, but you gotta twist some knobs, pinch some strings, and let 'em feed back a little. If you are playing the bridge pickup all the time with everything up full, you might as well save some cash and get an SG.

Hi doc!

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I was away on a one week "holliday" with wife and four kids (age 2 to 11. You can imagine how tired I am right now...).

Regarding the color in the pics, it's somewhat different than the real thing (especially the one of the back) and the sunburst in these pics looks like the color changes abruptly when in fact it's so gradual, it's hard to say where the color changes exactly. Maybe, I should find that thread you started once to help us take better pictures. The search function is useless: the words "Pics" and "better" is likely to yield a half million results.

Archived