HELP Downtune Ibanez Mikro

LastCallKillIt

• Members

Doubtful. Just try it, you shouldn't have any problems. If you do... Tune back up! Just start off with some relatively light strings, 9s or 10s, since the scale is so small.

I wanna know how it sounds, because I was tempted to try the same.

• Members

Doubtful. Just try it, you shouldn't have any problems. If you do... Tune back up! Just start off with some relatively light strings, 9s or 10s, since the scale is so small.

Thanks I'll let you know when I't gets to my friend, Unfortunetly I wont get to hear it for a couple more month as im deployed in Iraq, but my friend is taking care of it for me, I cant wait to hear it with my own ears though! I'm counting down! Imagine the anticipation of having to wait to play your first electric! ITS THE WORST!

ANYBODY ELSE?

• Members

The Ibanez Mikro comes with 9-42 strings which are too light for the shorter scale. My son has one. We changed the strings to 10-46 and the tuning is a lot easier and more stable.

For drop d tuning (d-e), I would go with 10-46.

For drop c tuning (c-d), I would go with 11's.

• Members

I guess it's preference. My band played in drop C for a good while, got used to 10s on most of my guitars. 11s were too much for me. My short scale is in standard with 9s, and I can definitely feel how big strings would be even rougher on it.

• Members

I think you got it backwards....when you downtune you need to INCREASE the string gauge to get more tension back. And the shorter your scale the thicker your strings will need to be, unless you are tuning UP.

• Members

I think you got it backwards....when you downtune you need to INCREASE the string gauge to get more tension back. And the shorter your scale the thicker your strings will need to be, unless you are tuning UP.

Yes... I know this. Pretty rudimentary stuff. I was simply suggesting, if tuning down with the STOCK strings (since he never originally mentioned changing strings) causes some issue we aren't foreseeing... Then tune it back up as it was and try again.

• Members

Yes... I know this. Pretty rudimentary stuff. I was simply suggesting, if tuning down with the STOCK strings (since he never originally mentioned changing strings) causes some issue we aren't foreseeing... Then tune it back up as it was and try again.

Gotcha :)

I'm willing to bet those stockers wont get him as low as he wants though, without feeling like spaghetti

• Members

Gotcha
:)

I'm willing to bet those stockers wont get him as low as he wants though, without feeling like spaghetti

PRECISELY! I don't wannem all jangley and what not. So go heavy? I know I will be at LEAST a half step down from standard, and What I call "Drop D Flat" That what I would assume it is when you down tune your "E" 1 full step and a half and have the rest all just a half step from standard, But I would also like to be able to handle Drop C and D tuning. What string size would you guys recomend? I currently only play on a acoustic guitar with martin sp lights but im getting ready to move up to mediums.

• Members
11s is a bit excessive. That's like 10s in standard (I know the usual reference is a gauge for every half step, but from experience, I think that's a bit of bull). 10s in standard on a 22" scale sounds horribly difficult to play.

shorter scale should make bigger strings easier... i'd say 10's at the bare minimum for 22" and 11's should be fine if you're down a full step or more

• Members

shorter scale should make bigger strings easier... i'd say 10's at the bare minimum for 22" and 11's should be fine if you're down a full step or more

Whats a good 11 to try? I dont wanna replace my strings every 5 seconds, but I wannem to sound good

• Members

PRECISELY! I don't wannem all jangley and what not. So go heavy? I know I will be at LEAST a half step down from standard, and What I call "Drop D Flat" That what I would assume it is when you down tune your "E" 1 full step and a half and have the rest all just a half step from standard, But I would also like to be able to handle Drop C and D tuning. What string size would you guys recomend? I currently only play on a acoustic guitar with martin sp lights but im getting ready to move up to mediums.

I play my main guitars strung 10-52 in Drop D tuning. For drop-tuning a Mikro I'd probably try 13-56 or something similar.

• 11 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members
On 5/18/2008 at 9:49 PM, LastCallKillIt said:

Thanks I'll let you know when I't gets to my friend, Unfortunetly I wont get to hear it for a couple more month as im deployed in Iraq, but my friend is taking care of it for me, I cant wait to hear it with my own ears though! I'm counting down! Imagine the anticipation of having to wait to play your first electric! ITS THE WORST!

ANYBODY ELSE?

I duuno seems like being deployed to Iraq 12 years ago would qualify a "ITS THE WORST!". But just guessing. I haven't been to Iraq

Archived