GAS for a Telecaster

TCEDDIA

• Members

I'm primarily a bassist who has recently become very interested in home studio recording. I would like to add a Fender Tele to my gear but I'm not sure which model is "best" for me. My budget is $400-600.

I could be happy with the mex teles: good bargain, decent reviews. However, my experience with them at local shops is I find the fret edges a little too prominent and a therefore a bit annoying. Remember, I don't really play guitar (yet) but I don't want an instrument that doesn't feel right in my hands either. I've also considered the Nashville series and the Blackout model. They cost a little more but you get a 3rd pickup with a 5-way control switch which I assume is a great addition to the standard tele.

Please help me make a decision. Is my experience with the standard tele frets a common experience, and if so, is it a problem for those of you who own one. I'd like to hear that the fret issue is not a problem because the standard tele seems to be a fantastic value and I'd be happy to spend only $400. On the other hand, for an extra $100 I could get that fantastic looking Blackout with 3 pups or for $200 extra, a Nashville tele.

Thanks for your time

• Members

I am a bass player too, and when I started playing gitar, I went for a Tele too. Happened almost involuntary, just something about them that compliment bass players .

Many years later, I am STILL mainly a bass player, but the TELE is still my favorite electric.

• Members

I am a bass player too, and when I started playing gitar, I went for a Tele too. Happened almost involuntary, just something about them that compliment bass players .

Many years later, I am STILL mainly a bass player, but the TELE is still my favorite electric.

Which tele did you get?

• Members

For around $400 as you know you'll be looking at a Mexican Tele. If you go that route, spend a $75 and get the frets dressed and a setup.

You could try eBay, just be careful of what you buy.

I've considered buying used online but I'm a little leary of what I might end up with.

So far no comments on the Nashville or Blackout models. I've yet to hold one in my hands as none of the local shops carry them. Does anyone know how these necks/frets compare with the standard teles?

$75 to resolve the fret issue on the mex tele would be money well spent.

• Members

I'm kinda gassing for a Baja Tele, seems like amazing value, cutom shop designed, custom shop P'ups. The one I played seemed a cut above MIM quality

I agree, the Baja looks amazing, especially in blonde. Problem is the street price of $800.

• Members

I play a couple Godin SD's into a Vibrolux but I want to add a tele and the Nashville model really has my attention...I don't know which one though; there seems to be quite a few variations out there b/t MIA and MIM. I played one w/ abalone inlays (I think a MIM?) and it was sweet! Can't get it off my mind....

• Members

The Baja is a great guitar, in my opinion. When i got mine, it had what I thought were some rough fret edges, but it was just gobs of poly finish stuck to the edges. Doesn't say much for the QC at Fender, but it was an easy fix--I just scraped it off with my thumbnail, and it was nice and smooth.

I played a blackout tele while I was shopping. I thought it had a good range of tones, but not the real tele vibe I was looking for. Felt kinda cheap, too.

• Members

I tested the baja against the blackout, highway 1, japanese deluxe, and american standard. I walked away with the Baja mainly because to me, it felt right. That's the most important, what feels, sounds and looks right for you.

• Members

I walked into a GC today and found a pretty little blond mex tele lookin' at me in the eyes. I picked her up and found her neck to be smoothe as silk. Couldn't believe it. Checked her pedigree and decided that this may be the one. Plugged her into a Bassman and was heartily impressed. With my 10% discount gift card, I walked away with a mex tele, maple fretboard, arctic white (actually cream colored), a $50 cable and picks for $350. Shweet.

I love the cream white on maple fretboard on white pickguard.:thu:

• Members

Good question but I doubt it. I think the lack of attention to the frets is part of the reason it's a $400 guitar.

That being said, a MIM tele is not exactly a rare beast. With a little patience, you should have no trouble finding an acceptable one.

This is a pet peeve of mine - I'm not sure why we regard it as okay to buy a new guitar that requires an additional outlay of anywhere between 25-70% in order to make it playable. Used, yes. New, hell no.

• Members

There is an awesome MIJ Tele on ebay right now. It red with a binding on top and on the back, white pickgard. I almost bought it. Look for it. The owner is in Boston. I know he will sell it for 500.00 with a gig bag. I think he has a hard case for it to for 50.00 more. Check it out. Its a great deal.

• Members
I walked into a GC today and found a pretty little blond mex tele lookin' at me in the eyes. I picked her up and found her neck to be smoothe as silk. Couldn't believe it. Checked her pedigree and decided that this may be the one. Plugged her into a Bassman and was heartily impressed. With my 10% discount gift card, I walked away with a mex tele, maple fretboard, arctic white (actually cream colored), a $50 cable and picks for $350. Shweet.

I love the cream white on maple fretboard on white pickguard.
:thu:

Where are the pics? :poke:

• Members

I got a Blackout and think it's great. Plays and sounds nice and clean like a Tele, but the 2nd and 4th switch positions give you a good Strat sound, too.
They're available online most places for $499 - easily worth it. Not so easy to find/play in stores, though. Not sure why.

• Members

This is a stock photo but it might as well be the one that's sitting in its stand in my home right now. Nothing flashy but I love it. I recently saw a video of Steve Cropper and the Stax gang from the mid/late '60s. He played a similar guitar except his had a rosewood fretboard.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I was going to go with the blackout or a Nashville but this one spoke to me and that's that.:thu:

Archived