Fender duo-sonic

mis5dis6gis7

• Members

I found a Duo-sonic in a flea market for $255 with a small peavey. Im not sure of the year. Im pretty sure its a reissue. It was white with an all plastic pick gaurd. 2 single coils, both slanted and uncovered. And it has a maple neck. What years did Fender do the reissues? or is there a chance it could be an original? if not is the price worth it? The guitar felt really nice, the neck was smooth. I didnt get to try it out or get a good look really. I dont think anything i wrong with it and I might be able to get it down to around 200. Somewhat fate since I was really starting to GAS over those new squier ones

• Members

You more than likely have the early to mid-90's Duo MIM reissue. Which I've been told by someone here who KNOWS and owns several Duo Sonics and had one of these RI's that it is a great guitar. With a nice lil' Peavey amp for a total of $255, I'd go for it... RIGHT NOW!!

Also, If my memory serves me, that same person said it was a full scale 25.75". Prior to that, Duos made from about '65 on to about '78 were 24.0". Another giveaway is the absence of two slide switches on the pick guard to the left of the strings. The reissue had a single standard 3 way toggle switch by the vol and tone knobs.

What color is yours?

Frets99 just bought one recently. But he seems to have a knack for finding amazing bargains. So don't ask him how much he paid for his because you might wait and never find a deal like that.

P.S.: DO try out the guitar and check the neck for warpage before you buy! (Juuust in case).

• Members

does person from memory cre to comment? it would be appreciated. btw it just has the 3 way toggle

and it was white, but trying to find information on them, it only lists being made in red and blue.

I don't know if I'm the one musicmaker was talking about, but I do like Duos. And Musicmasters.

What you're talking about sounds to me like a Mexican made Duo. These were made from 1992-1995. Poplar body, Tex Mex pickups rw/rp for hum-cancelling when toggle is in the middle position. CTS pots were stock on the two that I have. Mexican Duos came in red, black and white. Tuners were the weak link; I put reissue Klusons on mine.

Squier Duos came out (guessing) in 1996. I've only seen them in black and red, never white. These were Chinese, heavier body, cheaper electronics, same crap tuners.

Scale length on both of these was 22.5", just like the original non-offsets made from `56 to `64. These original Duos/Musicmasters were shipped with 12s; the lightest gauge I'd use on a neck this short is 11s. I've never had any neck problems that couldn't be solved by adjusting the truss rod.

Duos were made from June `56 - Aug `64. They started using different neck widths in 1960. In Sept `64, they released the Duo II. Duo II came in 22.5" and 24" scale. Duo II was discontinued supposedly in 1969, but I've never seen one older than `68. Mustangs pretty much took over. Broncos were made from (guessing) `68 to `78? Musicmasters and MMIIs were made from `56 to `78 or so.

$255 with a small amp is a good price. The MIM's seem to be going up slightly in price compared to what they were a few years ago; used to be able to find them for well under $200.

ModdedDuoSonics.jpg

My reissues. Customized the black and red ones myself to look a little more like the old models. The white one was the first reissue I ever saw with a real gold anodized pg - I recently saw another one like it on ebay though, so it's not 1 of a kind. Whoever put the white one together added all kinds of neat touches.

I'm looking forward to the new Squier also. Can't wait to get one. :thu: Love that Desert Sand with anodized pickguard.

• Members

Another giveaway is the absence of two slide switches on the pick guard to the left of the strings. The reissue had a single standard 3 way toggle switch by the vol and tone knobs.

Uh, the original version of the Duo-Sonic did not have any slider switches.

This is my 1960 (a refin):

92630662_ff2d6110d2_o.jpg

• Members

Yeah, some of the very early duo sonics did not have slider switches.

From '56 to the '64 re-design no Duo-Sonics had sliders, so very probably there are many more with none than with any.

The ones with sliders are fairly universally now referred to as the "Duo-Sonic II," though I don't know if that was it's offical Fender model name.

• Members

From '56 to the '64 re-design no Duo-Sonics had sliders, so very probably there are many more with none than with any.

The ones with sliders are fairly universally now referred to as the "Duo-Sonic II," though I don't know if that was it's offical Fender model name.

Duo-Sonic II was the real name. Some of the early ones in late `64/early `65 had a transitional logo missing the "II". The Duo Sonic II is essentially a Mustang with a non-vibrato bridge.

The original bridges (56-64) were rectangle; they came with an ashtray bridge cover.

• Members

thanks for the help guys. If anything Im more excited. Iv been wanting a single coil guitar since i took my strat copy apart recently to start upgrading everything and mustangs just didnt feel quite right. Having a duo-sonic and my dot would cover a pretty wide sound selection. And my dad had little Peavey once too. Im not sure it was the amp, his old Lead II, or him but something there sounded great.

• Members

thanks for the help guys. If anything Im more excited. Iv been wanting a single coil guitar since i took my strat copy apart recently to start upgrading everything and mustangs just didnt feel quite right. Having a duo-sonic and my dot would cover a pretty wide sound selection. And my dad had little Peavey once too. Im not sure it was the amp, his old Lead II, or him but something there sounded great.

Throw up a pic':thu:

• Members

mis5dis6gis7:

Glad you got the info you needed to help make up your mind on buying a Duo-Sonic. They are great little guitars that are often overlooked. "Mini-Strats" are what some call them.

I had a load of mis-information in my first post which I need to apologize for here. Glad others (starting with Furtive) could come along and quickly correct me.

My apologies also for failing to mention Furtive who is quite the expert on all things Fender Duo-Sonic and Musicmaster as well as vintage Fender tweed amps. He is a super HC member who was instrumental in steering me away from a BAD Duo deal on eBay and also discouraging me from modding my '65 Musicmaster II.

Also, I got facts wrong on Frets99 who does not have a Duo RI, but rather a Musicmaster RI (MIC).

• Members

thanks for helping all of you. I really want this guitar but Im having trouble getting funds worked up on such short notice. My birthday is saturday so hopefully I can get most of it taken out then. Mainly Im relying on my amp to sell though, might have to put it on the bay this weekend. So if anyone is interested there is a Fender FM212R in the spam thread. And I know its wrong to do this but I broke up with my girlfriend today so maybe I can at least get some interest out of pure sympathy.

• Members

If its one of those reissues then I would pass. The prices vary greatly on ebay, they seem more low than high, and if you decide to sell it you may hit a slow period and only be able to get $125 or so for it. Plus Squier has a new Duo-Sonic coming out that is very nice and has a lot of vintage features and will be priced right.

• Members

If its one of those reissues then I would pass. The prices vary greatly on ebay, they seem more low than high, and if you decide to sell it you may hit a slow period and only be able to get $125 or so for it. Plus Squier has a new Duo-Sonic coming out that is very nice and has a lot of vintage features and will be priced right.

Although, iirc the new Squier Duo-Sonics will be basswood.

:mad:

• Members

I use to jam with a fellow who had an early 60's. Man it was a nice sounding Fender. The old single-coils in them are damn good sounding pick-ups.

BTW the 65 Duo Sonic II had slidders. Great pups in them also. Greybacks with cloth insulated wiring. Kind of thin necks though. There's a NATURAL 66 on E-Bay now. Its all original w/OHSC with 7hrs left on the bidding. It only at $500 now. I'm sure its gonna go up, But there's no reserve on it. You may get a shot to P/U cheap? I have seen the pre-64's go for 2G in very good original condition. Not Mint by far, usual checking minor dings, but all original.

MOF there's a 65 all original with a BIN for $1800. Has a horrible mark on back from a old telephone style wound cord. The guitar must have layed on the cord for years. Its worn right into the finish now. Still thats pretty cheap for a Vintage Fender.

• Members

I use to jam with a fellow who had an early 60's. Man it was a nice sounding Fender. The old single-coils in them are damn good sounding pick-ups.

BTW the 65 Duo Sonic II had slidders. Great pups in them also. Greybacks with cloth insulated wiring. Kind of thin necks though. There's a NATURAL 66 on E-Bay now. Its all original w/OHSC with 7hrs left on the bidding. It only at $500 now. I'm sure its gonna go up, But there's no reserve on it. You may get a shot to P/U cheap? I have seen the pre-64's go for 2G in very good original condition. Not Mint by far, usual checking minor dings, but all original.

Those pre-1965 Duo/MM pickups were identical to Strat pickups except for the pole pieces being flat with the bobbin. I haven't done the math yet, but I'm willing to bet that it's the same pickup that was used in the Champ and White lap steels during the mid to late 50s. I've heard it referred to as the "Student" pickup in old literature. Duncan has been making reissues of this for years.

I had Steven Kersting wind pickups for two of my Duos (that MIM black one, and resto work on my `56), he NAILED the tone.

Youtube clips of a `63 Duo in action:

Hats off to Tomo-san for demonstrating the sound these put out.

Archived