Three way switch with three humbuckers

prauny

• Members

Im wiring up three humbuckers to a les paul style three way switch. Does anyone know what the combos are on the les paul? Or can anyone suggest a good combo?

Cheers :)

Edit: Would -neck+middle-ALL-middle+bridge- be good?

• Members

I've got the same question though I am not looking to wire one up personally. I saw the Frampton LP with a 3 way switch and 3 pickups and the description says that the middle is always on and that you can 'mix it' with the other two. Now the only problem with that is that there are only the two volume/tone knobs and they operate the neck and bridge. Not really sure if I would want to be middle only or mixed all the time.

I'd look into a push/pull pot to turn that middle pickup on/off and go with standard operation for the rest personally.

• Members

I've got the same question though I am not looking to wire one up personally. I saw the Frampton LP with a 3 way switch and 3 pickups and the description says that the middle is always on and that you can 'mix it' with the other two. Now the only problem with that is that there are only the two volume/tone knobs and they operate the neck and bridge. Not really sure if I would want to be middle only or mixed all the time.

I'd look into a push/pull pot to turn that middle pickup on/off and go with standard operation for the rest personally.

Thanks for the reply, the guitar im working on is changing all the time, so in the future a push pull pot will end up on there, but for right now i'll just go for the switch i think. I cant handle to many options so the pot would confuse me until i get to know the sounds and positions more.

• Members

They make that description more confusing than it needs to be.

All you do is use one of the tone knobs for a dedicated volume for the middle pickup. You have your regular 3-way switch opertaion, one master tone, and then the middle pick up is always "hot" but you just roll it in or out of the mix with the 3rd volume knob. So, it's not really always on. It's just always "ready"

If you've ever wired anything, you'll have no problem with doing that set up.

• Members
They make that description more confusing than it needs to be.

All you do is use one of the tone knobs for a dedicated volume for the middle pickup. You have your regular 3-way switch opertaion, one master tone, and then the middle pick up is always "hot" but you just roll it in or out of the mix with the 3rd volume knob. So, it's not really always on. It's just always "ready"

If you've ever wired anything, you'll have no problem with doing that set up.

See now, looking at it that is how I would have probably done it in the first place. I don't see the need for a seperate tone pot all the time and being not being able to adjust the middle pickup volume would have bothered the {censored} out of me.

The frickin ad isn't confusing....its frickin wrong. It clearly stated that there were 2 seperate tone controls on there. What you said makes a ton of sense.

Archived