Man I want That Gibson!

Crisco

• Members

If you could trade up all of your foreign/Korean and Chinese made guitars for ONE really fine made American guitar would you?

I would trade the Epiphones and the like for one good

Gibson Les Paul Standard

.....well I might keep the SG.......for a backup......

but I would give it all up for the finest instrument ever made.

Yep

I sure would.

Sell out.

I do like my Epiphone........to a point.....

but you know and I know it's like a 'holding tank'

I've got something decent but I want something better

and there is something better waiting

as soon as my pockets get full enough I'll be there

and when I do........

• Members

If you could trade up all of your foreign/Korean and Chinese made guitars for ONE really fine made American guitar would you?

Gibson Les Paul Standard

Yep

I sure would.

Sell out.

and when I do........

I rather have one outstanding guitar than a bunch of mediocre ones. Having said that, I don't own a single Korean of Chinese instrument.

• Members

I can't say I'd trade my LPC for anything. This guitar plays better than all but ONE VOS/Gibson Custom guitars I've ever played, and just as good as the standards/budget Gibsons I've played. Only thing I'd change is that god awful headstock shape and the pickups.

• Members

i used to be a huge strat fan (had some really nice ones too), but one fateful night borrowing a friend's Les Paul at a show and that was the end of my strat days and the beginning of a downright certifiable obsession with Gibson Les Pauls. I agree that it's generally better to have a few really nice guitars than a house full of mediocre ones. Same goes for amps, i think. better to have one really nice one, than a bunch of sub-par ones. my opinions only; your mileage may vary.

• Members

No.

I have a goodly number (nine) of US-made guitars already, although I don't know if they qualify as "really fine." But at any rate why would I trade the remaining 12 imports (if you include the 2 basses) for a single guitar? 2 or 3 or maybe even 4 for a US-made one, maybe. But not all of them, no way.

I'll stick with what I have.

l_2bfef1cd28006b5f2311a235df83b35c.jpg

• Members

To me country of origin is irrelevant. I currently have 6 guitars, all great , and purely coincidentally all made in the USA. (Downsizing to 3, so check my sig. ;) )

Would I trade some mediocre guitars for a good guitar? Absolutely.

But many of my former guitars made outside of the USA have been quite good, and in most cases quite cheap. In fact, many have better than my USA Gibsons.
I would definitely not trade all of them for a good Gibson Les Paul. And I love a good Les Paul.

Some of my former Asian-made guitars include:
G&L Tribute S-500
G&L Tribute Will Ray
Yamaha Pacifica 1421
Yamaha RGX 820
Yamaha AES720 (after wanting to buy and playing a USA Gibson VM)
Washburn WI66 Pro
Washburn X50 PROFE
Michael Kelly Phoenix Deuce (good, but not great)
Fernandes Lexington Limited (returned it in less than a day)

My recent Gibsons have been a Classic Antique and a Standard.
With the exception of the Fernandes, I had each of the aforementioned guitars longer than I had the Gibsons. If I had to rank the guitars, only one USA Gibson would make the top three, with the Pacifica 1421 having the top spot.

Comparing US-made guitars I've had, Gibson would be at the bottom. I have preferred Baker, Melancon, and Hamer guitars.
And for Gibson lovers, this is not bashing, this is just my experience based on the ones I've owned. In all fairness, Baker, Melancon, and Hamer have very high standards (no pun intended).

• Members

Gibson Les Paul Standard

Yep

I sure would.

Sell out.

and when I do........

I suppose I would if I had your guitars...I have plenty of great American made guitars, and a couple of excellent Canadian made guitars, some great Japanese made guitars and some great Korean made guitars. They are all pretty much equal...in some cases, the foreign made ones are superior to the North American made ones. Proof? See any Ibanez bass.

• Members

Everytime you post that link you make me cry with envy
:cry:

LOL..Well. I have been pro since 1965, so at my time of life it's nice to indulge ones self every now and again. Back in the 60's you basically played whatever you could get your hands on. The guitar in that link ( Humph) is one of many Les Paul's I have had over the decades, but just has that little bit of something extra that makes him stand out. Of course there are good and not so good guitars from all eras, including originals and I think you have to be lucky to find one with your name on it. Actually I probably use him least out of many working guitars, ( Strats etc ). It's all according to what type of gig it happens to be.

For and out and out rock/blues gig though, I wheel the old fella out. Here's a larger burst pic of him, and another form a non burst angle with a couple of Strats and an old flamenco guitar in the background.

EHBXL-HumphreyA.jpg

1.jpg

Archived