What Are Your Amp Settings For a Tele?

zerkalo

• Members

I'm really diggin my new Xaviere tele, but the neck pup is kinda lame and muddy sounding. This is a common complaint for most stock tele neck pups; I'm not picking on Xaviere.

What are your amp settings (using the O'Clock method) to give the neck some more life?

• Members

it really depends on the amp. i could tell you the settings for my XTC, but they wouldn't be the same on my Shiva, and those wouldn't be the same on someone else's Twin, and those wouldn't be the same on someone's JCM800...

you see where i'm going with this.

• Members

I'll give you a comparison, don't take these as exact setting that should be duplicated (though they are the settings I like to use). I'm must using the actual settings to illustrate a point, regarding the differences of each guitar in terms of EQ:

Stratocaster

Bass

3 o'clock

Mid

9 o'clock

Treble

3 o'clock

Telecaster

Bass

12 o'clock

Mid

2 o'clock

Treble

12 o'clock

I also tend to run the gain a little more on the Telecaster, assuming I'm looking for a dirty sound. I prefer the Telecaster when I'm playing something that's heavily distorted.

• Members

I have a baja, and find that compared to my les paul, I have to lower the treble and raise the bass. I find keeping the tone controls around 12 is more or less ok for my tele, as it has a relatively bassy bridge pickup. I lower the tone on the guitar itself, to take off the shrillness of the treble. I find that the middle and lower frequencies sound really great, but I am not a huge fan of the treble ones - ie the top strings - which sometimes sound too tinny.

The neck pickup sometimes needs a wee bit more treble.

My LP on the other hand usually forces me to budge the tones, since mud is more likely there. I usually have my treble at about 2 oclock, mid at 12 and bass down at 9 oclock.

• Members

The covered Tele neck pickups I've played have been kind of dull sounding, but I've heard of people removing the covers (could get a bit messy with all the wax) or even drilling holes in them, you could also replace it with an uncovered one (not sure what the options are there though)

• Members

I'm really diggin my new Xaviere tele, but the neck pup is kinda lame and muddy sounding. This is a common complaint for most stock tele neck pups; I'm not picking on Xaviere.

What are your amp settings (using the O'Clock method) to give the neck some more life?

Depends on the amp and the tone desired. I think the stock neck pickup sounds fine on my Xaviere XV800. Of course, I spend more time on the bridge pickup. The twang is my reason for having it.

Archived