Any DIY tricks for binding at the nut?

J.L.C.

• Members

The *fix* is to
replace
the the stock plastic nut. Plastic nuts should be outlawed. Anything Else preforms great (assuming the nut is cut right)...bone, corian, graphtech, tusq, fossilized ivory...etc.

I've tried to have my Guitar Shop change the nut on two different guitars and both times they've pretty much refused! well they've been like "nah, the stock nut is fine don't bother"
Very frustrating because of course if I have to reiterate "I WANT this nut changed" then I'll be overcharged :(

• Members

Chances are your local shop, be it "Mom and Pop" and "Big Box," is an Allparts dealer; GC is. Most stock their parts, all should have their catalog to order from. How much they discount is up to them, but a competitive store will discount anywhere from 33%-40% and a store you know the personal at may go as far as 50% or at least closer to it.

My shops are either pawn only, used only, or 100% fender and pianos.

The closest GC is jacksonville.

• Members
Never understood that.

FWIW, my Epiphone has zero problems with the nut, and the damn thing is plastic
:confused:

MY Gibson has a "high density plastic" nut I think it's called.... works just fine. I'd prefare a bone or Graph Tech nut but ah sure what can ye do ?! Just cause it's plastic , doesn't automatically mean that it's {censored}.

• Members
I do this to all my guitars (mind you they are sub $300 guitars) and have never had a prob. but dont follow my lead if you dont wanna
;)
loosen and move the string in question off to the side. Then take an old D string and use it like a file to widen and smooth out the slot. Finally a little pencil lead like everyone else is saying and your good
;)
I havnt had any tuning problems since.

Another useful tool is a double-sided fingernail file. I like the ones that have what looks like a roughed up surface instead of the finely etched lines. Just go slow, and don't go overboard.

Archived