Any DIY tricks for binding at the nut?

J.L.C.

• Members

The 3rd string on both my strat and my LP keep binding at the nut. You know how you've allllllmost got it in tune then *ping* and it's almost a full half-step sharp. It's driving me nuts.

Any quick n' easy fixes for this or do I need a set of gauged files?

I have a new TOM bridge for the LP as well which is gonna required notching the saddles - jewelers files?

• Members

The band-aid is to use graphite, some simply roll over it a few times with a pencil tip; and there is a commercially available product called nut lube out there. It'll work, but doesn't cure the problem, it just hides the symptom for a while.

The *fix* is to replace the the stock plastic nut. Plastic nuts should be outlawed. Anything elese preforms great (assuming the nut is cut right)...bone, corian, graphtech, tusq, fossilized ivory...etc.

• Members

The 3rd string on both my strat and my LP keep binding at the nut. You know how you've allllllmost got it in tune then *ping* and it's almost a full half-step sharp. It's driving me nuts.

Any quick n' easy fixes for this or do I need a set of gauged files?

I have a new TOM bridge for the LP as well which is gonna required notching the saddles - jewelers files?

Take a very thin pick and wrap some 600 grit sand paper or emory cloth around it and give it a few swipes. Be sure not to overdo.

Less caustic measures are powdered graphite, which can get everywhere, and nutsauce. I use a synthetic parafin called Boeshield T-9. Works great.

• Members

I do this to all my guitars (mind you they are sub $300 guitars) and have never had a prob. but dont follow my lead if you dont wanna ;) loosen and move the string in question off to the side. Then take an old D string and use it like a file to widen and smooth out the slot. Finally a little pencil lead like everyone else is saying and your good ;) I havnt had any tuning problems since.

• Members
That's nuts! The last 42mm Strat/Tele AllParts graphite nut I bought was $6.50 at my local Sam Ash.

:thu:

First off, Graphtech nut averages $4-7

Secondly, no one should buy direct from Allparts, they sale at MSRP to keep from competing with their dealers. If you buy through a Allparts dealer, you can get a 40-50% discount off MSRP.

• Members
These are both 'quality' guitars (USA strat and an R8 LP), you'd think they'd give you a decent nut on a 'premium' guitar
:mad:

Well, a Gibson Historic should come with a bone nut stock, this may be a case of a poorly cut nut.

Production Fenders and Gibsons get plastic stock. Criminal, or at least it should be.

• Members

Well, a Gibson Historic should come with a bone nut stock, this may be a case of a poorly cut nut.

Production Fenders and Gibsons get plastic stock. Criminal, or at least it should be.

Epiphone elitists cost half or less the price, and have boen nut stock.

Xaviere guitars all have graphite nuts stock.

• Members
:thu:

First off, Graphtech nut averages $4-7

Secondly, no one should buy
direct
from Allparts, they sale at MSRP to keep from competing with their dealers. If you buy through a Allparts dealer, you can get a 40-50% discount off MSRP.

Who's the dealer?
Do they stock those maestro-style tremolos?

• Members

Who's the dealer?

Do they stock those maestro-style tremolos?

Chances are your local shop, be it "Mom and Pop" and "Big Box," is an Allparts dealer; GC is. Most stock their parts, all should have their catalog to order from. How much they discount is up to them, but a competitive store will discount anywhere from 33%-40% and a store you know the personal at may go as far as 50% or at least closer to it.

Archived