Saw Styx and Boston this Weekend

Guitin Better

• Members

I've been meaning to post for a couple of days now . . . This past Friday night I saw Styx and Boston in concert in the St. Louis area. It was an awesome show!! Both are bands from my high school days (yes, I'm old) but they can still git-r-done!

Styx put on a better "show" and the music was great. Tommy Shaw sings as well now as ever and he played great too. I always thought Shaw with the primary lead guitarist for the band but when they traded licks JY totally kicked ass. They band has a new bass player but they had the original bass player, Chuck Panozzo, come out about halfway through the show and play the rest of the way. He looked really bad and I learned later it's because he has AIDS and is dealing with all the crap that comes with that. They had a guy that could play keys and sounded just like Dennis DeYoung on vocals. All in all it was really cool.

Boston started out kinda slow and lead off with a song from one of the recent CD's that have only been heard by about 12 people. Fortunately I'm one of the 12 but everyone around me was looking at each other wondering what the F*. They got cranking about 2 or 3 songs in though and it was awesome the rest of the way. Tom Sholz was great, as you'd expect, and the rest of the band sounded great too. They have an amazing drummer. The bass player is this amazon woman with long blonde hair and she was way hot. They have two lead singers. One his Michael Sweet who many of you will remember from his days with Stryper and his solo work. I'm sure many of you have heard the story of Boston's new lead singer but, if you haven't, Google Tommy DeCarlo for the story. It's amazing. Anyway, he sounds a whole lot like Brad Delp and credibly covered the Delp songs. I say credibly because no one can carry Brad Delp's mic stand in my opinion.

It was an awesome night!

• Members

I've been meaning to post for a couple of days now . . . This past Friday night I saw Styx and Boston in concert in the St. Louis area. It was an awesome show!! Both are bands from my high school days (yes, I'm old) but they can still git-r-done!

Styx put on a better "show" and the music was great. Tommy Shaw sings as well now as ever and he played great too. I always thought Shaw with the primary lead guitarist for the band but when they traded licks JY totally kicked ass. They band has a new bass player but they had the original bass player, Chuck Panozzo, come out about halfway through the show and play the rest of the way. He looked really bad and I learned later it's because he has AIDS and is dealing with all the crap that comes with that. They had a guy that could play keys and sounded just like Dennis DeYoung on vocals. All in all it was really cool.

Boston started out kinda slow and lead off with a song from one of the recent CD's that have only been heard by about 12 people. Fortunately I'm one of the 12 but everyone around me was looking at each other wondering what the F*. They got cranking about 2 or 3 songs in though and it was awesome the rest of the way. Tom Sholz was great, as you'd expect, and the rest of the band sounded great too. They have an amazing drummer. The bass player is this amazon woman with long blonde hair and she was way hot. They have two lead singers. One his Michael Sweet who many of you will remember from his days with Stryper and his solo work. I'm sure many of you have heard the story of Boston's new lead singer but, if you haven't, Google Tommy DeCarlo for the story. It's amazing. Anyway, he sounds a whole lot like Brad Delp and credibly covered the Delp songs. I say credibly because no one can carry Brad Delp's mic stand in my opinion.

It was an awesome night!

I am sure I could at least carry his mic stand.

Singing like him is another story.

Boston is the best!!!!

• Members

I saw Boston last week at Rock-Fest in Cadott Wisconsin, Tommy does do an amazing mimicing of Brad's voice, He is a bit boring to watch however. That said, I dont really expect him to be a wicked showman, afer all, he's never been in a band, and hadnt done much more singing than karaoke for a few dozen people before being dropped onto the stage with Boston. Trial by fire to say the least, and he does come out pretty much unscathed at that.

• Members

I saw Boston last week at Rock-Fest in Cadott Wisconsin, Tommy does do an amazing mimicing of Brad's voice, He is a bit boring to watch however. That said, I dont really expect him to be a wicked showman, afer all, he's never been in a band, and hadnt done much more singing than karaoke for a few dozen people before being dropped onto the stage with Boston. Trial by fire to say the least, and he does come out pretty much unscathed at that.

Yes, Tommy D looked completely out of place. He doesn't look like a rock singer, dress like a rock singer or act like a rock singer . . . but he sure sounds like one.

• Members

Sounds like a good show. Styx is underrated.

I agree. The wife dragged me out to see them with Pat Benatar a while back. Couldn't believe how much better Styx were, than I was expecting, after not wanting to go see either.

• Members

They had a guy that could play keys and sounded just like Dennis DeYoung on vocals.

Gowan?

[YOUTUBE]yIjddye2JSA[/YOUTUBE]

I don't think he sounds like Dennis, though. He has his own thing going.

• Members

loved Brad Delp. and i have indeed carried his mic stand.

worked with him as his "handler" and tech for a few shows, post Boston. he had a band called "Beatlejuice" that did...you guessed it...all Beatles covers.

they ROCKED....

and Brad was a totally COOL guy to work for, a gentleman, and one of the best vocalists in rock.

last time i saw Boston live was the tour for the second album with the RED ROCKER Sammy Hagar opening, post Montrose. Sammy kicked their asses....

• Members

loved Brad Delp. and i have indeed carried his mic stand.

worked with him as his "handler" and tech for a few shows, post Boston. he had a band called "Beatlejuice" that did...you guessed it...all Beatles covers.

they ROCKED....

and Brad was a totally COOL guy to work for, a gentleman, and one of the best vocalists in rock.

last time i saw Boston live was the tour for the second album with the RED ROCKER Sammy Hagar opening, post Montrose. Sammy kicked their asses....

I've heard/read nothing but awesome things about Brad Delp. He was, evidently, an extremely down-to-earth guy who just happened to sing great and ended up in a gazillion-record-selling-band. I've heard about Beatle Juice but haven't heard any of their stuff.

• Members
...I'm sure many of you have heard the story of Boston's new lead singer but, if you haven't, Google Tommy DeCarlo for the story. It's amazing. Anyway, he sounds a whole lot like Brad Delp and credibly covered the Delp songs. I say credibly because no one can carry Brad Delp's mic stand in my opinion.

It was an awesome night!

I read about that. Truly amazing story. From Home Depot to being on stage singing for Boston. I bet his daughter went up a few notches in popularity at her high school. ;)

• Members
I read about that. Truly amazing story. From Home Depot to being on stage singing for Boston. I bet his daughter went up a few notches in popularity at her high school.
;)

So far I've read about him and the guy from Journey.

Next thing you know, a famous band will check out a forumite playing guitar on YouTube and hire them :D

• Members

From Home Depot in Charlotte to touring must be a culture shock to say the least. I'd say it's the ONE "positive" thing to come out of Brad's unfortunate departure. It was all over the news here(I live in Charlotte)

For those of at the show, was Barry Goudreau back with the band?

• Members

Took my Son to see Styx when I got back from Iraq. It was great to be there with him. The bass player at the time was the bass player from "The Babies" I think. The Keyboard player was exceptional for both keys and vocals. Shaw and JY rocked. They were better than when I saw them in 1978; Don't say that too often.

Bought tickets for Boston but got sent somewhere else. Wife and son used the tickets, but neither were familiar with the band. I saw them a long time ago and wasn't impressed. I was kinda hoping they improved with age.

Archived