Your secrets for making a band cohese?

rasputin1963

• Moderators

Play in bands that don't work until you're 50, decide that you don't want to do that anymore, start a solo acoustic act, find out that some of your friends can actually play, play with your friends. Works every time.

That's a good one. I figured this one out 2 years early! :)

But the original question... how do you bring a band together? Make them gel, help them hear each other. I mean, I agree with everyone saying, well if you want the Stones, get the Stones. But to say, "The chemistry should already be there...", well, sure, that's definitely a great way to work. But what if you're trying to get a certain group of people on the same page? That's how I interpreted the original post.

And for that... it's cool to facilitate them "getting over themselves". Too much ego kills the groove. Sure, you gotta have it to step up and testify. Page, Hendrix, Beck. But by and large... getting egos in check brings simpatico grooves and a band that's feeling it together. That "feeling it together" moves mountains. Big ones.

So what if you're recording a band that does have a certain thing. But it's choke city when you roll? Or it's every man (and gal) for him(her)self

Get them to see that this 4 minute tune is not their last chance to get the fill of their lifetime out to the world. Get them to breathe together. To make a stew in a pot that tastes way better together than as separate dishes spread cross the plate. The power of a solid "1", hit with confidence and relaxed ease by the kick and bass guitar... the swim of the rhythm guitar with the hat. The single note line from a riff as it's made more powerful by teaming up with the rhythm section.

And this comes from playing a groove for an hour or 2. And getting over yourself. Then roll tape... (er Pro Tools)

• Members

I still say that #1, people have to want to be there.

This may seem silly, but the latest group I've been playing with have people not showing up. In my eyes even though I'm sure the guitarist that I have yet to meet can "Wail". that's no good if the other guy "me" has no idea what you're doing.

#2 To me really the difference is listening! That's cool if everyone has the riff down, but if I'm not listening to what the other people are doing, forget it, there is no groove. Someone once said, "even if you aren't the best player, do what you can do really well".

I've said it a thousand times. I'd love to get really technical and have unusual changes, chords etc. But first, let's get an easy tune down. Include the groove!

Also great is if someone is a songwriter. Not everyone is! SO when you listen to a song, for example, not everyone notices that the lead guitar only plays in the second chorus, solo and to the end. Before that, they do nothing! A simple example e.g. "Some Kind of Wonderful". How many people are playing at the beginning? Yes, we just jammed that tune out on Sun and I had everyone play right at the start! Ya I know you can make it you're own. But the whole dynamic is gone! Getting that bass groove down and have others slowly join in makes that "groove". I'm all for not sounding like the album, but as well if we're going to change it up, I'd like it to sound better! Not worse.

So I've suggested to others and at times made myself not play, listen to the parts, listen how laid back the XXX is. It's not a race, I don't want to show people how many notes I can squeeze in in 8 bars. I want to show people how well we all listen to each other. Once everyone is listening to each other, then you can get technical!

#3 Have fun with it, we all screw up, we all would like to think we're better then the next guy, but no one cares. Just play

• Members

A few more thoughts:

Don't be afraid to get rid of a player who doesn't fit in, even if he's good.

I like to play a concert DVD for the members before we start playing. We nearly always end up discussing what we like about the band on the DVD before we start playing, and the DVD often gives us ideas to explore.

Warm up with a jam or two before starting work on your material.

Try exercises for your jams-i.e "let's try jamming in D myxolydian over a ska rhythm."

Try doing exercises with the material also- such as "this time let's play it as slowly as we can" or "let's not do any leads this time and just work on getting the rhythm tight."

I would never advocate the use of illegal canabinoids (in a public setting such as this) but I have heard that for some bands it helps get everyone into the same headspace, especially if the band members watch a concert DVD while imbibing.

• Members

BTW it's cohere not cohese

:cry:

While I agreee that "cohese" is not a word, I see why Rasputin--ever the smarty pants--used it. Coherent is NOT synonymous with cohesive any more than adherent and adhesive are the same. Why should one verb serve both?

So before Rasputin has to defend his word choice, I'll venture that he's aware that Merriam don't webster "Cohese," but it was closer to what he meant, so he OE'd himself. Parts cohere when they are rationally ordered; Parts "cohese" when they stick together. Different nuance. New word born of discirmination, not carelessness...

What was it you were saying about pedantic types? My band has a few of 'em....

• Members

I would never advocate the use of illegal canabinoids (in a public setting such as this) but I have heard that for some bands it helps get everyone into the same headspace.

I on the other hand will enthusiastically advocate the occasional use of cannabis to shake things up and kinda re-negotiate the bandspace...think I'll change me avatar.

• Members

Never doubted it for a second
:)

The joke was definitely on me and not Rasputin.

BTW, Spike, I was calling myself pedantic, not you...hope that was clear...and I now see the joke in your post...missed it first time around only 'cause the cohere/cohese had been on my mind since Rasputin first posted.

• Members

I think for any band it is vitally important not to have as members exceptionally annoying, pedantic types.

BTW it's cohere not cohese

:p

Mmm, when was the last time I played regularly in a band?
:confused:

:cry:

Okay, I stand corrected. I dunno what I was thinking. Next time I'll be more scripulous and assidurous in my word choices.... It's important to rectumize one's mistakes.

• Members

I think you need, in some form or other, a musical director. Unofficial, quasi-, even rotating. I'm not sayng you need a Ricky Ricardo.

Actually, I think having a Ricky Ricardo is the way to go.

"Hey, joo in dee back! Joo, dee bass player! What was dat note joo were playin'? Joo got some 'splainin' to do!"

desiarnaz.jpg

• Members

I know this will sound simple but if you can get people who are geniune in their everyday life, they will be good band members. The most talented musicians are also the ones who are the least intimidated and do not feel the need to prove their superiority. They just get it. I have found those people the easiest to work with.

I think the most difficult situation is working in a band where there are more than one songwriter. Thats when egos really get out of hand and people take things personally. Those are tough situations. Thats why I went solo and now I play with people who do not write anything in the same genre that I do. Keeping the peace is very important.

Archived