Describe your first recording experience and how old were you?

GY

• Members

Not that I know what you're talking about... but if I
did
... I'd mention that the pipes open up in that, uh... condition. As does the mind. I loved that... I
would have
loved that feeling if I knew what you were talking about... but I don't. But if I did know, I would have a similar experience with stacked backups like that.

But I don't know what you're talking about.
:idk:

We didn't inhale, mind you. ;)

• Members

My first R-R machine was probably a battery powered Aiwa with 3" reels at 5 years old.

I can relate. I picked up the same thing BRAND NEW with money from my first paper route. I was with the boy scouts on a trip in Rochester N.Y.

I think that was 1963 or 1964. I was 8 years old.

When I was 12 I picked up a cassette deck and started bouncing back and forth between it and the Aiwa machine. The Aiwa was also cool because the batteries would go down and change the PITCH ! If I recorded with dead batteries I would sound like a chipmunk when the batteries were replaced. Realize that I didn't get my first real set of drums until I was 16. Most of my multitrack recordings consisted of me playing on CANS ,plucking crude ELASTIC bands and tinkly toy pianos. I wish I could find some of that old stuff to listen to today. Then I went through several cassette recorders.

Later I picked up an Akai, Dokorder , then a TEAC and finally a TASCAM before I said goodbye to analog.

I wish Heathkit was still around, I'd love to get back into building kits.

PAiA is still around. http://paia.com

Dan

• Members

I must have been 14 or 15, because I could play the guitar. That guitar belongs in the "first instrument" thread, and it was bought with pennies. Literally. We had a plastic bear-shaped piggy bank. It was supposed to pay for a family trip to Disneyland, but I think mom figured out *that* wasn't going to happen. It held 13 dollars in pennies. Mom bought my guitar downtown at McCoy's Pharmacy with that thirteen bucks. I had a little portable stereo -- two plastic speakers, a turntable, and a cassette. I listened to Jim Croce, America, and James Taylor on that thing for hours and hours. I also had access to the "oblong black cassette recorder", and figured out how to ping pong between them. I did a version of "when I'm 64" with guitar, vocal harmony, and household percussion. For some reason my grandparents, who are now seriously losing their grip on short-term memory, still remember that tape.

Archived