Whast do you know about MESA Amps?

mymindsok

• Members

Yesterday I was looking at the new 65 Reissue Princeton and got a solid discount price of $750 plus tax but then today, I was at an open-house industry show and saw the Mesa Lonestar, which is about twice the price.

The Mesa is beautifully built and sounds great. Lots of features like three levels of power switching and great build quality.

Is the Mesa worth twice the price?

• Members

Depends on what you want. The Lonestar will give you lots of tone shaping and distortion shaping capabilities. The DRRI is simply classic Fender tone. I think the Lonestar is worth twice the price. But do you need or want its capabilities?

I want one of each.

• Members

Mesas are extremely well built, and I hear nothing but good things about their customer service, even if they don't have a support email address. They're also pretty damn versatile despite all the brutalz kids using them - my DC-5 gets awesome cleans.

• Members

I owned a Mesa Rect-O-Verb 50 combo for about six years. It was my first professional quality tube amp, and I hadn't really settled on my sound at the time. It was impeccably built, and just felt as solid as a rock. (It was also incredibly heavy!) I fried my screen resistors during a tube-change and had to contact the Mesa people to find a certified technician...they were incredibly helpful and polite.

In the end, I got rid of it because I stopped using nearly all of its features in favor of the clean channel and my pedalboard. Once I realized that the Mesa was never going to get a true Fender blackface clean, I went ahead and switched to a Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I don't miss the tone of the Mesa, but I do miss the build quality. I don't have nearly as much confidence in the durability of my DRRI, even though I've been gigging with it for about a year and haven't had any major problems.

The LoneStar has a very good reputation, but it is also got a hefty price tag. If you have the scratch, the LoneStar sounds like a great amp. However, if you have your heart set on blackface cleans like I did, you might as well save money and go with a Fender.

• Members

Nothing beats FENDER Clean. If the best possible clean tone is nOT your quest? Then there are MANY very good amp builders out here. And yes Mesa is one. The Lonestar is a NICE amp. The cleans just don't reach a Fender TR Tone. But their cleans are certainly usable.

Try a VOX AC-30?

• Members

Try a VOX AC-30?

As a matter of fact. I was runing some pedals through the Vox just yesterday. It was the first time I had used that amp and I was pretty impressed with it. Nce cleans ans it's a great sounding amp.

Its definately on my list to try and I know that itgets some love around here. Thanks for reminding me about that. It's just that the build quality and the features of the Mesa sent my head spinning. I really like the 6V6s. :thu:

• Members

Mesas are great amps.but it really depends on your style.what kind of music do you play?etc.Mesa makes some of the best amps for shredding however I go with marshall.It's a newer one but pretty good cleans and a classic crunch.plus my line 6 pedalboard can get me close to alot of different amp models.plus you wont have to mortgage your {censored}ing house to pay for it.WORKS FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

I played a LoneStar Special in January when I bought my 52 HR Tele and thought it was an incredible amp...extremely versatile. I was seriously tempted to bring it home.

The only reason I didn't was that I had just dropped a wad of cash on the Tele and although I had the cash, couldn't bring myself to spend another $2k that same day.

I regretted it. I should have bought that amp.

• Members

Thanks guys...

I guess that I'm just getting to the point where I"m tired of chasing tone and really want to concentrate on my playing, not on screw around with equipment.

I have a classic Peavy artist but that thing is just to powerfull (100w) for home use, though it'd be a solid gigging amp and I have a a Pignose 60 watt with a bias circuit, a standby switch added, plus a complete retube and a ToneTubby speaker. The Pig is kinda neat (Especially for blusy stuff.) but neither one will give me a Fender clean. Not even close.

I'm just thinking that one good amp would let me setle down and play guitar, while I accmulate more experience. At a quoted $750 "Regular customer insider price" the Fender Reissue is a good deal but the Mesa is just beautiful (But expensive.), while the Classic Thirty aint no slouch and has 6v6 power, which I like.

Ho-hum...

• Members

Mesas are great amps.but it really depends on your style.what kind of music do you play?etc.Mesa makes some of the best amps for shredding however I go with marshall.It's a newer one but pretty good cleans and a classic crunch.plus my line 6 pedalboard can get me close to alot of different amp models.plus you wont have to mortgage your {censored}ing house to pay for it.WORKS FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP asks you about a {censored}ing Lonestar versus a Princeton and you start talking about shred amps and marshalls and line 6 pedals? Did you even read the post?

Archived