Please educate me on Sovtek amps...

elsupermanny14

• Members

I have a MIG60 that a friend of mine gave me a while back. It has a PCB, iirc, but it's been a while since I saw the inside of it, so I could be wrong.

The MIG60 is kind of like a JCM800, but with more gain (at least than the 800 I used to have). I don't think Sovtek has made amps for a few years now.

From what I gather, the MIG50 is like a Bassman (though I'm not sure if it's more like a tweed or a blackface one). I don't know much about the 100.

I think the Mig60 might have been available in a "high gain" version, as well, though mine has more gain than I'd ever use, and it's a straight up Mig60. I could be wrong, but I think the high gain model might have been a "Mig60H."

• Members

I have a MIG60 that a friend of mine gave me a while back. It has a PCB, iirc, but it's been a while since I saw the inside of it, so I could be wrong.

The MIG60 is kind of like a JCM800, but with more gain (at least than the 800 I used to have). I don't think Sovtek has made amps for a few years now.

From what I gather, the MIG50 is like a Bassman (though I'm not sure if it's more like a tweed or a blackface one). I don't know much about the 100.

I think the Mig60 might have been available in a "high gain" version, as well, though mine has more gain than I'd ever use, and it's a straight up Mig60. I could be wrong, but I think the high gain model might have been a "Mig60H."

Youre thinking of the mig50h.

I've got a mig60 :)

• Members

I have a mig60, as well. I don't have a mig60H, but they do exist. Mig50's and Mig50H's (apparently...) exist, as well.

I'm not sure what you think I'm mixed up about.
:confused:

There was a version of the mig50 that was high gain, the mig50h. I dont recall there ever being a mig60h, but that doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Like the mig30, it might have been one of the rare ones? :idk:

• Members

There was a version of the mig50 that was high gain, the mig50h. I dont recall there ever being a mig60h, but that doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Like the mig30, it might have been one of the rare ones?
:idk:

I've heard of a Mig60H before, but I've not seen one. I definitely remember hearing about them, though, as I thought a higher gain version would be pointless and ridiculous. Of course, I'm not a metalhead, so that might affect my perception of what a retarded amount of gain is.:D

Of course, whoever told me about them might have been wrong. Or a dirty liar.:idk:

• Members

I've heard of a Mig60H before, but I've not seen one. I definitely remember hearing about them, though, as I thought a higher gain version would be pointless and ridiculous. Of course, I'm not a metalhead, so that might affect my perception of what a retarded amount of gain is.
:D

Of course, whoever told me about them might have been wrong. Or a dirty liar.
:idk:

Yeah, my mig60 is high gain enough already. I dont think it really needs anymore :idk:

• Members

I had a Mig 50 for a few years. Not a lot of gain on tap. Tons of clean headroom. To get into AC/DC crunch territory, you were blowing your head off with volume. It did have a bassman sound to it for sure. Takes to pedals rather nicely and had a really nice clean tone. Did I mention that it was insanely loud?

• Members

Aren't they notorious for tranny problems?

Yup. QC varies on them depending on the model. Hardware can be flimsy,etc.

I had a MIG60. Cool amp. I used the low input channel for the most part. The high input is like an overdriven tube amp with a big muff added. Long story short...the output transformer died and Sovtek (New Sensor) would not sell me a replacement one. They did offer to fix the amp for me but I would have had to pay for shipping both ways, parts and $60 an hour. No thanks.

• Members

I don't believe that there is a Mig 60H. Only the Mig 60. The H does stand for high gain. The 50H has a master volume. The regular 50 does not and is the Bassman copy.

I owned a Mig 60 and an all finished wood cab with wicker grill 50H combo. Loved them both and would really like to pick another one up.

• Members

i rocked a Midget 50H combo. marshall gain on the high input, fender cleans on the low input. wish it was switchable, or i knew how to modify it. i'd probably have kept it if that were the case. appeared to be point to point inside, but i never had to lift the board, and it looked like a pain in the ass in that small of a chassis.

• Members

i rocked a Midget 50H combo. marshall gain on the high input, fender cleans on the low input. wish it was switchable, or i knew how to modify it. i'd probably have kept it if that were the case. appeared to be point to point inside, but i never had to lift the board, and it looked like a pain in the ass in that small of a chassis.

There is a mod that you can do to these so that you can use an A/B switch to toggle between the low and high input. I was going to do it to my Mig 60 but I ended up just using a Mig 60 and Mig 50H toggled with the switch.

• Members

I have the mig 100h, from what I've heard the h is not for head but high gain. Schematically the 100 is just like a JCM 800, but has a little different sound. Other than the plastic input jacks, they are very,very sound,heavy,loud heads. No effects loop. They take pedals very,very well. I haven't used mine alot since I have the Orange I bought it for a backup' Although I'm about to start running both the sovtek and orange at gigs. The sovteks are very easy to mod. I don't like distortion or fuzz pedals so I just crank mine real loud to get fuzz sound. I'd recomend them.

• Members

I had a MIG60. Cool amp. I used the low input channel for the most part. The high input is like an overdriven tube amp with a big muff added. .

Same here. I use mine solely as a backup for my Bassman (usually it just sits in the garage, actually), and use the low gain input. The high gain input on that thing is insane. I dig having that sound available if I want it, but I haven't, so far.

I stand corrected on the existence of a Mig60H, I guess. Good thing...there would be no sense in such a beast.:D

• Members

Same here. I use mine solely as a backup for my Bassman (usually it just sits in the garage, actually), and use the low gain input. The high gain input on that thing is insane. I dig having that sound available if I want it, but I haven't, so far.

I stand corrected on the existence of a Mig60H, I guess. Good thing...there would be no sense in such a beast.
:D

Ya, I believe the MIG60 only came in the "Marshall on steroids" flavor. The other models had the reg' and "H" models that were suped' up a little bit more than stock.

I used to get some pretty believable late 60's-early 70's "Marshall with a strat" tones on that low gain input. I would use a 2x12 with celestions, an overdrive pedal as a gain/boost and a reg' old strat type (worked the volume knob). Pretty cool "Jimi tones" can be had from those MIG60's with a little work.

:cop:Ahhhhh...the days before the MIG60 died....good times.....good times.:)

Archived