Are gibsons practical for the non-professional?

Boumtje-Boumtje

• Members

First off, I have no problems with gibson, and this isn't meant to be a gibson bash thread. From a collector's perspective, most gibson guitars are very valuable instruments that played a pivotal role in rock and roll history.

But from a non-professional musician's prospective, they seem rather impractical. For instance, instead of buying a $2,000 Les Paul, wouldn't it be more sensible to buy a Les Paul copy, then upgrade it? In most cases, this route would be cheaper, and the guitar would sound just as good, if not better, than a Gibson Les Paul.

So why exactly do people spend thousands on Gibson guitars when they could have the same quality for less money. American labor? I guess that's a good reason :rolleyes:. I think it has more to do with the image that a Gibson displays, either implying that the player is so good they need a gibson, or that they have enough money to buy one("unlike you epiphone users!" :facepalm: ).

So I say, all of those who own epiphones, or any other Gibson copy, should be proud of their instrument. Don't let the word 'Gibson' on the headstock and the $2000 price tag, bring you down. After all, you're the smart ones for not being tricked into buying an overpriced instrument.

Smoke on bros!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Depends , maybe you just want or like gibson guitars. In that case buy one.

Peole buy toys all the time, ATVs, Sea-doo's, dirt bikes, flyrods, ski's. that all cost more. Many get less hours of enjoyment from these than others get from their guitars.

IMO if you like and can afford a gibson then get one and enjoy yourself.

• Members

Pretty much everyone can afford a Gibson of some kind, except for kids, novices, and poor folks (not that there's anything wrong with being any of those), if that's what they really want. Brand new Melody Makers can be bought for under $400.

I've owned 3 Gibsons, and none of them cost me anywhare near $2000. In fact, all 3 put together didn't equal $2000. (LP Special w/P-100's new on closeout $499, LP Studio DC used w/hsc $525, LP Classic used w/ohsc $750)

If you don't want a Gibson, don't get one. If you do want a Gibson, do buy one.

Nothing to discuss really. I got a couple Gibsons, and a whole mess of non-Gibsons. Including lots of funky cheapie imports, and some cool American-made guitars by other makers (Ric, Ovation, Peavey, Fender, Hamer).

• Members

I'm really just saying, why buy a gibson? You can buy an equal instrument for less money. Plus you don't look like a "Im-better-than-you" snorkledick

Or maybe you SHOULD buy a gibson so you don't look like a whiney cheapass that can't afford a quality guitar that has some added value beyond it's ability to produce sound?

It's all relative, see. Deciding that you don't think a Gibson is worth the money and then assuming everybody else ought to think the same doesn't really work.

Just play what you freaking want and be happy.

• Members

Seriously.

Why do half of the new members bash Gibson here?

I think it's funny when people think they're right and that's all there is to it.

The arrogance is amusing wether they're a troll or not.

It's just amusing how incredibly stupid a person can be.

To either actually think that they're right saying something like that, or get some sick sense of accomplishment by ticking people on an internet forum.

• Members

Gibson for me, since I've owned some great ones, is the brand I love.

I like Fender and PRS and Gretsch, Jackson Soloist etc., but none of them have the same hold on me that Gibby's have.

Probably bc I cut my playing teeth on one.

At the time i had them, they were less than half what they cost now for a new version.

I would have a hard time parting with that much $$ for one, but I'd suck it up and do it.

• Members

Pride of ownership I guess, wanting the best in class. Its like the difference between driving a BWM to work or a Civic. Both do the same thing and do it very well. Some people want the pride of ownership and higher grade of manufacture you get with a BMW and are willing to pay the higher price and some people don't care if the basic product is competent and reliable.

• Members

Damn! I want what you are smokin! puff puff pass
:cop:
I knew that wasn't a cig in your avatar
:)
j/k
:thu:

lol {censored} it, it's just money. i've had none and i've had plenty. enjoy the gravy train while it's still rolling and AS3 development is still worth $125/hr.

• Members

Pride of ownership I guess, wanting the best in class. Its like the difference between driving a BWM to work or a Civic. Both do the same thing and do it very well. Some people want the pride of ownership and higher grade of manufacture you get with a BMW and are willing to pay the higher price and some people don't care if the basic product is competent and reliable.

You know, it's funny that i remember reading an article a few months ago saying that the Civic is the best car to invest in. They keep their value well and have great resale. :confused:

I have a Civic :thu:

It is an old 95, but it still runs great and has working a.c :thu:

And i found out that the trunk will even hold a marshall cab back in my band days :cool:

• Members

I'm really just saying, why buy a gibson? You can buy an equal instrument for less money. Plus you don't look like a "Im-better-than-you" snorkledick

Aha ! So THAT'S why people won't speak with me when I'm out playing a Gibson ~

Archived