Are gibsons practical for the non-professional?

Boumtje-Boumtje

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
For instance, instead of buying a $2,000 Les Paul, wouldn't it be more sensible to buy a Les Paul copy, then upgrade it?

Yep. I would immediately upgrade the tuners, nut, bridge, stop-tail, pickups, neck and body with genuine Gibson parts! Then I would have a cheap copy that's been upgraded to the equal of a Gibson. :thu:

• Members

Depends , maybe you just want or like gibson guitars. In that case buy one.

Peole buy toys all the time, ATVs, Sea-doo's, dirt bikes, flyrods, ski's. that all cost more. Many get less hours of enjoyment from these than others get from their guitars.

IMO if you like and can afford a gibson then get one and enjoy yourself.

Can anyone wildly conjecture about the average number of hours use people get from a high end guitar. Surely it would be in the thousands, meaning that it's probably less than a quid an hour.

And for usable budget gear, the ratio must be even more. I'm sure I'm down to less than a quid an hour for my pacifica.

• Members
Fair enough, guys. I guess I just dont see the practicality of gibson
:confused:

I own one Gibson guitar which was my first decent guitar as a beginning player. These days it sits in the case most of the time. I mainly keep it around for sentimental reasons because I used to play it. I prefer other guitars in my collection much more these days....including a customized Fender Strat, a customized Squier Strat and a customized Parker Nitefly.

Obviously, you must not own any Gibson guitars. What brand or brands of guitars do you own and play the most in your collection?

• Members

The thing is, I don't think an Epi say, would sound quite like a good Gibson if you upgraded the pickups etc. There are other factors involved like quality of wood, build etc.

Secondly, you could make the same argument for Fender (perhaps even more strongly for the American/Mex difference), but very few here seem to pick up on that for some reason. Put it this way - I owned an Epi and while good it was quite a long way off my Gibson. However, my Mex tele (albeit a Baja), for

• Members

Are Gibsons practical for the non-professional?

Practicality is subjective.

To me, yes. If I had the income level to afford the Gibsons I really like, I would own a few. I probably just made docjeffrey pass out.

Play what you got. Play what you want. Whatever the case, just shut the {censored} up and play.

• Members

I am a semi-pro musician.

I didn't mind spending the cash on my Gibson LP, which was bought new to replace my Epi LP around 7 years ago.

I was in no hurry to buy one and took a few days, looking about various stores until I settled on the one that felt right for me. I still buy other guitars (and will buy more :) ) but my Gibson LP Classic remains my first choice guitar - purely because of the way it feels and sounds.

Others will disagree but until you own and regularly play a Gibson LP, you'll never know what you're missing out on. That isn't meant to sound snobbish, it's just the way it is - IMHO.

The above remark is obviously referring to a comparison with low end price LP copies.

There are of course other LP design guitars that are comparable and sometimes exceed the Gibson LP benchmark but these often cost more than a Gibson LP Standard.

There are mid priced alternatives, which can be pretty good and I would say that they are perhaps the best choice, if a new Gibson LP is outwith your budget.

This point is not aimed at anyone in particular.

• Members

i've never owned a "cheap guitar" and all i know is gibson and the flying v... if i'm gonna waste my time playing on a guitar, it's gonna be the best or forget it. makes no sense playing on cheap junk. :thu:

I'm really just saying, why buy a gibson? You can buy an equal instrument for less money. Plus you don't look like a "Im-better-than-you" snorkledick

2705780862_1364b9e01c.jpg

• Members

I have cheaper guitars.

The priciest one so far was my G400.

Not because a Gibson isn't worth it.

Not because the cheaper ones are as good as a Gibson.

Because they're good enough for me.

The OP's entire point is ludicrous and logically should be taken as far as it can go - Epi's cost too much too. I mean really, $300 I paid for my G400 when I could have gotten one of those Fender Starcasters for what, $80? And my amps . . . first of all who needs 4 amps, right? And my Laney cost even more than the SG! I should have gotten a Gorilla or something for like $25 to go with the Starcaster.

I mean, I'm not a professional right? So that should be all I need?

Oh wait a second. That's right; I forgot something.

It's my money and I can buy what I want with it. Nevermind . . . carry on.

• Members

Honestly? If you have a Gibson copy and you are Satisfied with it? {censored} by all means Rock your heart out with it.

If the question comes to mind for you, on why would you buy a Gibson when you could buy a Epi for much less? Then you should be playing that Epi. Most definatly.

How much money you make playing guitar, or if you play Pro or not, really isn't the issue of owning a great guitar. EXAMPLE:

You may be terrific Straight Pool Player, but only shoot for cash now and then? That has nothing to do with how good of a Pool Stick you use?

You use the Best Pool Stick because it brings the Best out of your Game, and your Game is at its Best when playing a correct feeling and weighted stick?

• Members

...So I say, all of those who own epiphones, or any other Gibson copy, should be proud of their instrument. Don't let the word 'Gibson' on the headstock and the $2000 price tag, bring you down. After all, you're the smart ones for not being tricked into buying an overpriced instrument....

Anybody should be proud of their instrument. Pride of ownership is great!

But, the implication here is that a person who buys a Gibson was duped and is stupid. This is hilariously pretentious, condescending and insulting....and I don't even care about Gibson. I'm a 25.5" scale length player.

The person who buys an Epi LP might be thrifty. When somebody buys an Edwards LP, they may be considered resourceful. But, lets not try to pretend it proves they have a superior intellect. Because, lets face it, if they were as smart as Warren Buffett, they could afford to purchase any custom shop or vintage Gibson guitars without being concerned about the price.

• Members

I do not even know why I read the whole thread knowing where it is going.

I have a few Gibsons. I enjoy them a lot. The people I play with enjoy them a lot. Thats enough reason for me. I am lucky enough I can afford them now. I drive an old car. I have a very old TV. I do not care about these things. The speakers of my stereo I bought over 20 years ago. The Gibson I enjoy. Period. And I play rarely in front of more than 5 people.

• Members

I'm smarter than all of you! Why? Because I just bought a used Musoland LP! All of you Epi LP and Edwards LP buyers were tricked! I'm the smart one because I just got a used Musoland LP for $30! Those Epi's and Edwards are overpriced! You people who paid $300 for an Epi or $750 for an Edwards were duped for a name on a headstock. I'm so proud of myself and my Musoland LP! :thu:

• Members
I personally get what I like and can afford. And I make my decisions based on my knowledge and experience.

This might put it in perspective:

A couple years ago I was in a pawnshop in Enterprise, Alabama. They had a late 70s Electra Vulcan MPC on the wall with a price tag of $199. I think I paid $175 cash for it. I took it home, cleaned it up, and set it up. And I really liked it. The Electra Vulcan MPC is kind of Les Paul-like with a set neck, maple cap on the body, two humbuckers, Gibson scale, tuneomatic and stop tail, single cutaway. But it also has a five or six way rotary switch and you can plug effects modules in it. This one came with Power Overdrive and Phase Shifter modules that plugged into the back of the guitar and were controlled by two knobs and two switches on the body. Both effects sound good. That Electra Vulcan MPC sounds like a Les Paul, plays like a Les Paul with a big thick neck, and also has more tonal variety and has plug in effects, all for $175. I actually sold it once and bought it back. In fact I like the guitar so much that for awhile I didn't even think about buying a Gibson Les Paul. I had played but had never bought Les Pauls in my past- mainly because I could not afford them but also I had not yet found the Les Paul I really wanted. The Electra served my Les Paul needs.

Back in the late 1970s I played in a country band, Easy Action, based out of Andalusia, Alabama. Their pedal steel player, Faron, also played guitar. And at the time the guitar Faron always played was an early 70s goldtop Gibson Les Paul Deluxe. I really liked that guitar. But I never thought about actually getting one because I just didn't think I could ever afford one. Besides, I was 16 and my parents bought my gear. And they didn't want to buy me used stuff. And in 1979 a 1974 Les Paul Deluxe was a used guitar. But then life went on and years passed. Fast forward to the mid-1990s. I was playing in a blues band around Charleston, South Carolina. The other guitar player, Lee, bought himself a really nice Gibson Historic Les Paul Standard in cherry red with a Bigsby. Not only was it stunningly nice looking but it sounded really really good and had an especially nice feeling neck. Lee told me that he traded two Paul Reed Smiths- a Custom 22 and a McCarty- for it. The PRSes were nice guitars- I played them. But Lee told me that he just didn't bond with the Paul Reed Smiths. Lee really likes that Les Paul. I do too. It is one of the nicest guitars I have ever played. In fact, when I played Lee's Les Paul I came to the realization, an epiphany if you will, that if I ever found myself able to afford a Les Paul I would not buy one until I found one that I liked as much as Lee and I like his.

My favorite music store is Action Music in Arlington, Virginia, about thirty minutes from me when the beltway isn't too backed up. I only go there every couple months because they always have things I like. And I always buy something. I can't help it. A couple months ago I went in there and up on the wall was a goldtop Les Paul Deluxe that looked like the one Faron the pedal steel player had played. On closer examination I saw that it was a 1974 in very clean condition. It was also one of the last of the original Les Paul Deluxes to still have a mahogany neck. Later ones had a maple neck. Then I saw the price. Keep in mind that this was a particularly clean example in almost under the bed condition. It was more than the various Gibson Custom Shop Historics that were also in the store that day, but less than the pre-CBS Jazzmasters- you do the math. Anyway, I left without buying it. But I couldn't get my mind off of it. Here it was, the Les Paul I really wanted but did I really want to spend that much money on a Les Paul, or any guitar for that matter. So I went online to Gbase and other sites and priced 70s Les Paul Deluxes and looked at pictures of various Deluxes in various finishes. I even looked at pictures of reissue goldtop Deluxes. I did my research. I read reviews. I listened to some Atlanta Rhythm Section and smoked a few bowls. I told my friend Kevin about it. And I made a decision- I put a bunch of Buy It Nows on eBay, various guitars and stompboxes that I felt I could let go of. Within two or three days I had sold enough to pay for 3/4 of that 1974 Les Paul Deluxe goldtop. And I saw that I had some room on a credit card plus a little cash I had hoarded away in my taking over the world fund which would cover the rest. And I went down there and tried it out. It fit my hand like it was an extension of my appendage. It sounded really really good. I examined it and found it to be structurally sound. I found nothing I didn't like about that guitar. It was the one Les Paul I would buy if I bought a Les Paul. So I bought it.

My 1974 goldtop Gibson Les Paul Deluxe is among the nicest guitars I have ever played. I am very happy with my decision to buy it. It was and still is worth what I paid for it, even though I paid quite a bit for it. It has become one of my most played guitars. And I plan on keeping it until my time is up. Sure, I could have spent alot less and would have gotten some other really good guitar. But if it was anything else it would not be a 1974 Gibson Les Paul goldtop Deluxe. In fact, no other goldtop Les Paul Deluxe would be the same guitar as the one I have here right now at my house. It are mine, dogg!!!!!!!1!

By the way, I do consider myself a professional musician. But I don't make alot of money. I just make a living the best I can and get by. Most importantly I enjoy my life. I enjoy what I do. It is all about the ride.

Here is my Les Paul Deluxe.

IMG_0227.jpg

And here I am playing my Electra Vulcan MPC a couple years ago. I still have it.

roywithelectravulcan1.jpg

Enterprise eh? That's so random... which pawnshop was it? I've lived in Enterprise all my life, and it's not a place ya hear too much about!

EDIT: This guitar is a great value for 899, it's the perfect solidbody p90 guitar, it plays great and sounds wonderful... It will hold it's value and is a guitar I will be happy to own for a long time.

SG.jpg

My Agile 3500 sits in its case untouched...

• Members

I'm really just saying, why buy a gibson? You can buy an equal instrument for less money. Plus you don't look like a "Im-better-than-you" snorkledick

I for one am certainly no snob when it comes to equipment.

That being said, All of the Copies (Epi included though they aren't really "copies") I've used NEVER really sounded or felt like my Gibson guitars.

No matter what I "upgraded" on them. NEVER.

Not to say they aren't good guitars. and you don't need to spend 2 grand on a gibson. I've got a les paul custom that is indeed nice. But my SG special faded is far and away my fav gibson bone stock.

• Members

These are unsupported opinions, not necessarily facts. Many disagree with you that a cheap knockoff with a few upgrades will net you an equal to better guitar than a Gibson. For instance, how exactly do you upgrade wood? I'm a bit of an amateur woodworker in addition to being a guitar player, and I've yet to figure that one out. I visit a woodworking forum quite frequently, and there are frequently posts by guys complaining that it's tough to find really high quality cuts of wood because "companies like Gibson and PRS snatch up all of the best stuff."

The car analogy doesn't hold much water either. I could probably afford a BMW if I really wanted to, but I drive a Honda because having a BMW isn't all that appealing to me. But I do have a Gibson instead of ________ because having the real deal as far as guitars go, is appealing to me.

Don't like Gibsons? That's cool. Many don't. But don't expect everyone to share your view.

well said

Archived