What is better to hang up a guitar or put it on a stand

thunder100

• Members

Oh, sorry, I got sidetracked a little. Well I would put it in a case or, to get it fast and easy, a gig bag. With four small kids at home, to leave them on a stand all the time is a risky thing. As to wall hangers, I wouldn't put anything heavier than a mandolin on those (and I do have my mandolin on one).

• Members

Oh, sorry, I got sidetracked a little. Well I would put it in a case or, to get it fast and easy, a gig bag. With four small kids at home, to leave them on a stand all the time is a risky thing. As to wall hangers, I wouldn't put anything heavier than a mandolin on those (and I do have my mandolin on one).

Curious why you mentioned you would not hang anything heavier than a mandolin? I guess I am playing devil's advocate here as I agree and tend to think hanging a guitar would put undue stress on the headstock especially if there is an angled neck joint there. I got a lot of differing opinions about that but I still say a stand is better for the guitar as it puts NO stress on the neck/headstock.

• Members

Seriously? I have 5 of them, and they've held a 13 lb Les Paul fine. Currently got my guitars that range from 4 - 11 lbs on them.

• Members

Curious why you mentioned you would not hang anything heavier than a mandolin? I guess I am playing devil's advocate here as I agree and tend to think hanging a guitar would put undue stress on the headstock especially if there is an angled neck joint there. I got a lot of differing opinions about that but I still say a stand is better for the guitar as it puts NO stress on the neck/headstock.

Just to add to my above post, I recall someone mentioning that gravity would do no harm as they were taking into consideration that gravity was the only force applied to a hanging guitar. There is more to it than that though, they are not taking into consideration the weight of said guitar. It's like saying my pinky if hanging on a cliff would have the same pressure exurted against it than the same pinky holding the weight of a human body of 210# on it. Big difference.

• Members

hmmmmm intersting question..... the way I see it the strings put more "weight" on the headstock than the weight of the guitar itself....I could be wrong.....but seems a fair assumption to me..... so I don't see how hanging it could really harm the headstock. That and the fact that the glue used in the head stock joints is stronger than the wood once it sets also doens't lead me to believe that hanging the guitar would cause any long term damage.

For me long term storage would mean a case but for a guitar that will be used regularly I think there's no big difference between hanging it on a wall or using a stand... just makes sure the hanger is installed properly and the stand isn't in a location where its likely to get hit.

• Members
Curious why you mentioned you would not hang anything heavier than a mandolin?

Well, maybe my banjo... :)

To me, the part that I'm less confortable putting stress on is the neck joint. Plus, the house I live in has funny walls where you don't know if the plastic thingie with a screw will really hold it. Plus I don't like the idea of dust freely flying unto my guitars, plus I don't believe in the ability of a guitar as decoration, plus I'm old and too set in my ways and leave my guitars on the floor.

• Members

I've used both stands and hangers. It's all really a matter of personal preference. Neither is going to harm the guitar unless you have stands that will interact with a nitro finish.

Right now all my guitars are on stands. In our last house they were all on hangers. Some of the guitars hung for 8 years and none had any harm come to them. The only reason I'm using a stand today is because I didn't feel like drilling holes for 24 guitar stands into concrete.

• Members
Well, maybe my banjo...
:)

To me, the part that I'm less confortable putting stress on is the neck joint. Plus, the house I live in has funny walls where you don't know if the plastic thingie with a screw will really hold it. Plus I don't like the idea of dust freely flying unto my guitars, plus I don't believe in the ability of a guitar as decoration, plus I'm old and too set in my ways and leave my guitars on the floor.

Not playing 'em = ALWAYS in the cases.
no one else around to kick 'em = on the stands.
room full of clumsy people = on the stands behind me.

If you have small children/dogs/cats/ = properly fitted hangers.

places never used = on the floor/chairs/table/computer/sofa/bed....

• Members

As for stress on the neck joint...

The strings on an electric guitar tuned to pitch put a tremendous amount of pressure on the neck joint and in comparison the force of the guitar's weight from hanging is inconsequential. The guitar though is designed to withstand that pressure. We all know there are guitars that have been tuned to pitch since the '50s and they are still in fine working order.

The only problem a hanger is going to give a guitar is if the guitar falls out of it. :idk:

• Members

As to wall hangers, I wouldn't put anything heavier than a mandolin on those (and I do have my mandolin on one).

I dunno.

As far as it being secure goes, a good wall hanger screwed into a stud using a proper wood screw is about as secure as it gets.

As far as it being bad for the guitar goes.....

One of my fave stores in existence is Fuller's Vintage Guitars. Everything they've got is hanging from wall hangers. $25k Gretsch Brian Setzer commemorative edition guitars. $5k Les Pauls. $4k Santa Cruz acoustics.

This is not gear that moves in & out of the store quickly.

I would think that someone who makes his living selling guitars (some of them really, high-end) would be very careful about making sure he does nothing to hurt them before someone says "you guys do take Visa, right?"

I've never heard of a guitar screwed up by being hung in a wall hanger.

• Members

Y'all realize that the strings put the neck + headstock into about 90 pounds of compression (6 strings times 15 pounds each)? And that hanging the guitar that weighs 15 pounds simply puts 15 pounds of tension onto the neck, resulting in a net force of 75 pounds of compression, so that there still is no tension on the neck joint?

It is a little like a bicycle spoke (except opposite forces). The spoke is in (say) 300 hundred pounds of tension so that putting 100 pounds of compression on it simply cause the net force to resolve to 200 pounds of tension>

• Members

Shessh, some of you worry about everything. There's no need to worry about hangers and stands (other than nitro finishes with surgical tubing causing an interaction).

Guitars are very very rugged intrusments overall. Ever seen an SRV video and the way he treated his cherished #1? Granted, that's extreme, but it makes the point.

Y'all quit worrying about every little thing!

PaulS

• Members

Sorry To deorientate this thread from Nitro to hangers and stands

And yes mines are one Nitro(Statocaster Hwy 1 upgraded) and a G&L Comanche(no idea what its finish is)

I play them every day if I am at home and I want to see them when I am around.Now they are on a stand each(Rockstore)

BUT big BUT I have an extremely creative granddaughter 15 month of age and although I like her a lot,I think she shall try learning playing guitar a bit later and her own one.Against her Jimi Hendrix was an orphan.

So reading all of this I will put both of them to the wall(Good old Europe brickwall(20 Inch) hanger will only fall out with a direct bomb hit)

Thanks for enlightening me and yes I care about other things too(I can never get the solo in Stairway to Heaven right) I do care about my guitars a lot(second issue is the Blackface which I need somewhat to lock maybe with Plexi)

Thanks

Roland

• Members

Sorry To deorientate this thread from Nitro to hangers and stands

And yes mines are one Nitro(Statocaster Hwy 1 upgraded) and a G&L Comanche(no idea what its finish is)

I play them every day if I am at home and I want to see them when I am around.Now they are on a stand each(Rockstore)

BUT big BUT I have an extremely creative granddaughter 15 month of age and although I like her a lot,I think she shall try learning playing guitar a bit later and her own one.Against her Jimi Hendrix was an orphan.

So reading all of this I will put both of them to the wall(Good old Europe brickwall(20 Inch) hanger will only fall out with a direct bomb hit)

Thanks for enlightening me and yes I care about other things too(I can never get the solo in Stairway to Heaven right) I do care about my guitars a lot(second issue is the Blackface which I need somewhat to lock maybe with Plexi)

Thanks

Roland

Right on-- that makes perfect sense. It's probably that this is one of those posts where people start debating the most minuscule details of neck tension, headstocks, set-necks and bolt-ons, etc.

Hey, if your axes are at danger of being knocked over on the stands, then it certainly makes more sense to have them hanging out of harms way.

Rock on--- PS

• Members

Y'all realize that the strings put the neck + headstock into about 90 pounds of compression (6 strings times 15 pounds each)? And that hanging the guitar that weighs 15 pounds simply puts 15 pounds of tension onto the neck, resulting in a net force of 75 pounds of compression, so that there still is no tension on the neck joint?

Good observation -- and the strings can exert even more force than that. On a Gibson-scale guitar, using regulars (10-46), string tension in standard tuning is about 102 pounds. If you use an 11-49 set, that goes up to about 119 pounds. Both those numbers are about 5-6 pounds greater on a Fender-scale guitar.

Archived