Craig Thanks for Answering MY PM NOT!!!

Songman68

• CMS Author
It's kinda weird but I've started to notice the same thing with "ask." I'm hearing it used as a verb more and more!!! Must mean that ask.com is slowly but surely gaining on Google.

They're trying. But Google (v.) made it into one of the famous dictionaries this year, maybe the Oxford. "Ask" is already there so nobody will make a big deal of it. Also, "Ask" doesn't fit in a sentence the same way Google does and could be confusing without the benefit of the written word (though some people never type upper case letters any more).

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Double negatives are no-no's.
:p

Other new appications for the English language include:

- The use of the word "loose" for the real word that means not victorious ("lose");

- The magical joining of two words into one ("alot");

- The also-magical transformation of an adjective into a noun ("my bad");

- The sudden appearance of new combined adjectives to describe things that are just too large ("ginormous").

There are so many more that it bogggles the mind to try and consider all the different new applications of the English language.

Para espa

Had several conversations with folks like Craig, George Petersen, and many other audio writing luminaries about this, maybe a decade ago or more. Here's the standard, if you want to accept it.

Mic: Abbreviated noun.

Mike (Miked, Miking): Verb conjugation.

I've stuck with it since. Not everyone does, but screw them.

As you know, we've also discussed this topic before - and I try to stick with the aforementioned "standard". Mic'ed, micing, et al just don't seem to work very well IMHO. OTOH, spell checkers always choke over "mic" too.

They choke over a lot of words we (as engineers and musicians) use, so you just have to get used to that - or add them to the database of words in your spell checker.

• Members

Rabid -- Aren't you the author of the book "Beyond Double Negatives: New Applications for the English Language"?

Yes, and I have a new book ready for release. "State of Confusion: How to Use Any Word as a Noun, Verb or Adjective."

• Members

Excellent, Jonh! But you forget to mention the "verbing" of nouns, as in:

"I'm going to Fed Ex this package of stone shell crabs to John."

..or the "nouning" of verbs as in:

"Sting is beginning to look like Malcolm McDowell."

• Members
You mean like saying "HARRIS-ment" for the word "har-ASS-ment?"
:mad:

As the Official Editor Person and Keeper of the Threads, it is my duty to report that HAR'assment is the preferred pronunciation. HarASS'ment is the secondary pronunciation. Both are correct, but HAR'assment is more gooder.

• Members
They're trying. But Google (v.) made it into one of the famous dictionaries this year, maybe the Oxford. "Ask" is already there so nobody will make a big deal of it. Also, "Ask" doesn't fit in a sentence the same way Google does and could be confusing without the benefit of the written word (though some people never type upper case letters any more).

But don't you think the fact that people are now using "ask" as a verb indicates that ask.com is becoming every bit as popular as Google? :confused:

[continuing with joke that no one else thinks is funny...]

• Members

It's pretty common to use "mic" as a verb, but I've never been able to decide between "micing" and "miking" to describe the action of placing a microphone where you want it. "Micing" sounds like a job that should be delegated to the studio cat. "Miking" is less ambiguous when it comes to pronunciation (which, in context makes it clear that you're talking about a transducer rather than a small rodent unless it's a large microphone made by Rode), but there's no "k" in microphone, at least not in English.

The only people who could use "miking" would be Korn. Otherwise, why would microphone be reduced to Mike?

Maybe "miking" would be applicable in your situation, Mike.

Archived