Whats this worth? (Gibson Content)

cerebrix

• Members

So my roommate has had this sitting in his closet for YEARS. he wants to sell it to me so im wondering what this one is worth. plus you gibson experts, any info you can give me on the guitar itself would be great. I dont know about "The SG" models.

Picture41.jpg

Picture42.jpg

Picture43.jpg

Picture45.jpg

Picture46.jpg

Picture47.jpg

Thanks in advance

- Me

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What's actually pretty amazing, is that 30 years later Gibson sells a USA made SG for about $649, just slightly more than this 1979 low end model with the SG faded.

That's pretty minimal inflation.

1979adver.jpg

Adjusted for inflation it is incredible.

The purchasing power of a 1979 dollar was about 4 times that of 2008 dollar.

2 grand for a "The SG"? (Compare to a new Faded.)...I don't think so.

A good player might be worth 5 bills, though. :idk:

EDIT: This one on gbase appears to have sold for over a grand. http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1832691

• Members
Adjusted for inflation it is incredible.

The purchasing power of a 1979 dollar was about 4 times that of 2008 dollar.

2 grand for a "The SG"? (Compare to a new Faded.)...I don't think so.

A good player might be worth 5 bills, though.
:idk:

EDIT: This one on gbase appears to have sold for over a grand.
http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1832691

Makes you wonder what the value of the dollar should be based on...
Wages?
Per capita GDP?
Interest rates?
Gas prices?
Military power?
Difficulty of counterfitting?

• Members

thanks for the info guys. this one obviouslly needs a little love. which im going to give it.

a new set of strings, bore oil the fretboard, polish the frets, contact cleaner, & setup.

im curious to know what bridge pickup is in there. looks like the 3 way was swapped out as well.

• Members

Right about 600. "The Paul" models (same style--plain jane wood/features but with an LP shape) are going for about $600-650 on e-bay. I'd suspect that would pull in the same amount, or a slight bit less.

not with it's "maybe" fixed but once broken headstock

• Members

Ah, The SG. Three-piece body, three-piece neck. It's not a neck through, but the way they used a center piece in the body made it look like the neck-through Japanese guitars that were all the fashion.

It's NOT a Firebrand model, which actually had the logo branded in, very rustic, but they were pretty much the same price point.

If $500 was the MSRP, then the street price was probably $350 or so, which had the purchasing power of probably $1K today. Makes the Faded look like an even greater deal than they already did (and the non-faded, $600 LP Specials from 1999-2000 seem like huge bargains). But then interstate commerce and shipping improvements make obtaining raw materials easier and cheaper; machines remove a lot of production time; and Gibson moved from Michigan to Nashville since 1979 in order to escape unions and pay lower wages to employees that didn't need to work their way up through an apprentice system.

• Members

The SG-2 was common to me in the mid 80's as I was told the toggle switch would be permanently moved on the new guitars... and for a while it seemed true. I didn't really like the new design and glad they eventually returned to the original layout.
Looking back though that guitar is a relic and I would jump on it if all is good and the price is right. Very nice woodgrain. Rare.

• Members

not with it's "maybe" fixed but once broken headstock

Oops...didn't notice that. I'd say $600 is for a good player's guitar with all original parts and no breaks/issues. Although, the headstock break probably doesn't drop it that much anymore. Ebayers are crazy. I'd say it will bring in $450 with a broken headstock.

Archived