Fedex Insurance Claim Stuff

Timmott

• Members

So the Fedex guy is coming tomorrow to check on the damage that my Edwards received during shipping and work out the stuff with the insurance claim, is there anything I should know for when he gets here? I assume he'll ask me about the condition when it was shipped and received and stuff like that. How have Fedex Claims been handled for you guys? Did Fedex reimburse you for the damages? I'm not quite sure how all of this works.

• Members

Fedex usually reimburses the seller.

I would ask about it, seeing as you are filing the claim, evidently.

I had a claim on a large piece of equipment that included 3 packages.

One was, shall I say, "lost".

I filed the claim as shipper and money was sent to me and I forwarded all less shipping to the buyer.

• Members

I'm in the middle of my third one of these...

The first one went remarkably well once FedEx got hold of it, but my seller was a moron. Anyway, they probably told you that you need to include all original packing materials, etc. Are you filing the claim, or the seller? If it's you, then you will need a signed, written statement from the seller stating that you will be filing the claim, and that they will never file a claim for this item. You will also need to gather your ebay receipt, pics (with serial number if possible), etc. But, I don't think you'll need that tomorrow. They'll probably just pick it up and take it to their secret examination area.

Anyway, they were cool with me, got my money back as a seller quickly (mailed me a check). As a buyer, the seller got their money back once they finally filed the claim. This is the first that I'm filing as a buyer, so I'm hoping for the best. You will most likely have a specific person assigned to your case, so that helps.

• Members

So the Fedex guy came today and said he was here to pickup the guitar :confused:. I didn't have it packed up since I had no idea they scheduled to pick it up, so he's coming back tomorrow. I told the guy that came that I didn't receive any information on the claim or anything that could be done regarding the claim and he said thats normal for Fedex :o.

• Members

As I had said above, they come to pick it up, inspect the packaging, and take it to their secret lab. Once there, they somehow determine whether the damage was the result of the seller's negligence or the crazy FedEx "throwers." Once that is done, the guitar will be returned to the seller, unless otherwise specifiied.

Also note that they will not do anything proactively, especially call you. You have to keep calling them over and over to check on the status and find out what to do next.

I've won my claim 2 out of 2 times, but this is the process. You need to pack it up so that it's just like it was when you got it.

• Members

wow...it's usually a nightmare, hate to say it.

FEDEX completely busted up my '68 Gibson 335 a few years ago, and then refused to honor the claim I filed.

I went all the way up the food chain to the President of FEDEX, and stated my case succinctly.

I finally got my check. But what a major pain in the ass it was.....

These days it's even worse.....FEDEX has a $500 limit on ALL musical gear.

• Members

wow...it's usually a nightmare, hate to say it.

FEDEX completely busted up my '68 Gibson 335 a few years ago, and then refused to honor the claim I filed.

I went all the way up the food chain to the President of FEDEX, and stated my case succinctly.

I finally got my check. But what a major pain in the ass it was.....

These days it's even worse.....FEDEX has a $500 limit on ALL musical gear.

Ouch! Didn't realize there was a limit, and I ship with them all the time. Fortunately, the last round I sold were all cheapies... Good to know for the future.

• Members

I filed the claim as shipper and money was sent to me and I forwarded all less shipping to the buyer.

Why did you deduct the shipping? I'm assuming the buyer paid for shipping in the first place, so why didn't you refund that too?

IOW it sounds like you got paid to ship it twice?

• Members

Ouch! Didn't realize there was a limit, and I ship with them all the time. Fortunately, the last round I sold were all cheapies... Good to know for the future.

yes, be aware of this. also -- employees of FEDEX are instructed to really take a close look at the packaging of your item. if it looks crappy, you aint getting NO INSURANCE.

so pack your stuff pro....get GOOD boxes, double box when you can, and make it look nice, tight, and presentable.

$500 is the limit, although I still ship $3000 instruments when I have to.

I recently had to ship a rack power amp (mesa 2:90) to Poland.

It's only a 2 rack space amp, so it wasn't that big or heavy.

FEDEX quoted me a shipping charge of $740 to ship it FEDEX ECONOMY to Poland

???????:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

USPS Airmail was $160......

• Members

Yep, that's the key. You have to pack very well. Double-boxing is what won my claim when I was the seller.

And yeah, FE and UPS are worthless internationally. That means you are forced to use USPS, and that's an absolute disaster. Worst company to work with (at least to the extent of shipping large packages internationally).

• Members

Why did you deduct the shipping? I'm assuming the buyer paid for shipping in the first place, so why didn't you refund that too?

IOW it sounds like you got paid to ship it twice?

She didn't include shipping for one of the parcels.

We spoke after the 3rd package didn't show up at her address even though I mailed all 3 together.

I agreed to file the claim for her bc she didn't want to deal with it.

So when the ck came to me, I deducted the shipping which we agreed to in the first place.

My thinking is that she figured she paid too much and decided that this was a way to get some of the money back.

We're talking $600, here.

You had to have spoken with her and her hubby to get a sense of the kind of people they were.

There's more to the story, but at first I sympathized with them on the loss.

Then I found out from Fedex that the drivers are franchised and they pay out of their own pocket for lost items, so it didn't make sense that the driver stole it.

To make matters even more confusing, the regular driver was sick that day of delivery.

• Members

I agreed to file the claim for her bc she didn't want to deal with it.

That's nice of you because FedEx will not allow the receiver to file a claim--never has, never will. The shipper is their customer with whom they have a contract to deliver a certain package to a certain address.

Archived