Join The Delta Brews, HC Home Brewers and Guitar Stranglers!

trill

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mixed up a batch this weekend, from stuff I had sitting around, mostly:
6lbs Dark Malt Extract
~4lbs Amber Malt Extract
1oz Perle @ 60mins
3 Cinnamon sticks @ 15 mins
1oz Bitter Orange Peel @ end of boil

Fermented with Belgian Saison yeast, in a bucket that's been inoculated with brettanomyces and lactobacillus (aka the Funk Bucket).

Gravity was 1.080, bigger than we thought it was going to be. Attenuation actually could have been better, with a malt bill that size, but it was pretty cold outside and hard to keep the wort going full-on boil for the whole hour. We'll know how it turns out in about six months!

• Members

I make my own red wine, from raisin not juice. Does that count:confused:

Sadly, no. I like wine, but it is not beer. We'll certainly provide any assistance necessary in teaching you how to brew delicious beer, though!

• Members
Sadly, no. I like wine, but it is not beer. We'll certainly provide any assistance necessary in teaching you how to brew delicious beer, though!

well brewing beer is my next step and I should be starting sometime next month. So I will keep an eye on this thread to get some usefull info.:thu:

• Members
What can I brew at home that will...how shall I put it... get me absolutely {censored}ed!

:thu:

Anything/everything. So far, four out of the five beers I've brewed have been above 8%ABV (though, as we discussed earlier, I'm brewing for flavor, not drunkiness). A decent starter kit would cost about $150, but after that, you can buy enough ingredients to brew two cases (~48 12oz bottles) of beer for $30-40.

The amount of time and patience you have to have in order to brew makes it not quite cost-effective; though I've heard that UK beer taxes are retarded high and the selection of high-alcohol beers is pretty slim, so you might wanna give it a shot.

• Members

Sign me up...

I've been brewing extract and partial mash batches for over 10 years and playing guitar on and off for over 20 years. Funny thing is, I'm a much better brewer than player.

All of my brews have been ales and I've tried several styles (Pale Ale, Amber Ale, Stout, Witbeer, Belgian Trippel, ...). Right now, I'm really into Belgians and am thinking my next batch might be a Saison.

• Members

I used to brew my own, but it's been a couple of years.... grains and extracts. My signature brew is a honey-red, but have done some nice dark ales as well. I've named my beer Red Rooster - "taste to crow about". I even put "hatched on" dates on all my labels.

Maybe that is what I need to do this weekend....

• Members

Brewed 10 gallons this past weekend...

Two Blue Moon Clone kits. one 5 gallon batch will get blueberry puree and nutmeg in the secondary.

Bottled the Double IPA this past weekend also. Ended up at 11.4 % ABV. And some very tasty beer also, especially for such a high alcohol content. Both friends that help me brew loved it. Looking forward to some others trying it and seeing how they feel after a 16 ouncer or two :D

• Members

tasted a double ipa last night. needs more carbonation, but very tasty and very strong...

racked the 2 blue moon clones today. added blueberry/nutmeg to one batch. looking forward to tasting that one !!!

next i am gonna do a bavarian hefe... not sure what my friend is gonna brew with me yet, he's still deciding...

who else has brewed recently?

• Members

This thread actually inspired me to brew up a batch for the first time in about 10 years.

I have an oatmeal stout that's been fermenting for about a week now. :thu:

I forgot how much fun it is, and how hard the waiting is...

• Members

This thread actually inspired me to brew up a batch for the first time in about 10 years.

I have an oatmeal stout that's been fermenting for about a week now.
:thu:

I forgot how much fun it is, and how hard the waiting is...

he he, yep the waiting will get ya if you're not careful....

cool on the oatmeal stout. i did one of those late last year. it was a real hit...

congrats on your first batch in years, enjoy !!! occasion14.gif

time for you to do another batch next weekend, cuz the stout ain't gonna last long ;)

my brew buddies and I are now doing 10 gallons every 3 weeks :p

• Members

well that's cool...

my home bar is being re-assembled since moving from a rent house to apt and now a home owner...

the absinthe is definately on my to BUY list !!!

when the home bar is stocked i like to offer at least 20-25 liquors, liquers, etc..., including domestic lights, homebrews, etc....

party at my house !!! :D

• Members

[Warning: The following post is very long.]

I'm a [lapsed] home brewer.

One day I said: self its time to cheaply acquire alcohol.

Bought myself a book.

Bought myself a mash tun.

Bought myself some tubes and thermometers.

Spent an afternoon cooking up beer.

Drank it.

At a cost of approximately $9.50 per beer my initial goal was not met, but it was fun! And the cost-per-beer goes down each time you brew.

The first three or four times I home-brewed I used pre-mashed grain. It was EASY and the beer tasted great, but it felt like cheating and was more expensive than all-grain brewing.

My first brewing experiences resulted in fantastic beer, but then I got lazy and tried to cut corners and the beer began to get off flavors. Didn't stop me from drinking it, though, and I actually decided that I like uncarbonated beer better -- it goes down smoother, quicker, and causes less gas.

MetalheadUK: the best way to get f*cked up on homebrew is to use large amounts of grain. More grain = more sugar for the yeast to convert into alcohol. (My rudimentary understanding is that yeast eat sugar and {censored} out alcohol.)

Another way to increase the alcohol content is to empty a jar of molasses or a bag of sugar in during the boil. This increases the likelihood that your brew will taste like crap (i.e. Scotch Ale) but it will knock you off your feet.

Damn, I'm getting inspired to dust off the equipment and brew up a batch. I'll keep y'all posted.

P.S. I find that Brown Ale is the most forgiving and best tasting homebrew. For your first batch (and all subsequent batches), avoid adding weird stuff like spices, wood chips and herbs. Leave that to the druids.

• Members

Also, anything you can dump a buttload of hops into is a good type of beer to start with.

Don't listen to clay sails about not putting spices and other "weird stuff." That's where the magic happens!

Book of lies, where's a good spot online for me to pick up some quality absinthe for ~$50?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

bump up for brew weekend...

anyone brewing this weekend ?

tomorrow my Double IPA will be 3 weeks in the bottle and ready to make brew day rather challenging, with over 11% ABV :confused:

me a two buddies are bottling 2, 5 gallon batches of Blue Moon Clone, then we are brewing 5 gallons of Belgian Wit and 5 gallons of a Bavarian Hefe....

gotta finish up my home bar too. Putting the hand rail on tomorrow, along with the last few pieces of trim...

just gotta get the extra fridge in the garage coverted to a kegerator now ;)

• Members

There is no way this turns into into a brewing thread.

Is this the friggin twilight zone or something?

Here is my picture. The guy who posted about photobucket.com has a substantial lead in this contest.

No I do not have a money tree but the winner gets a SUBSTANTIAL prize.

Here is the friggin post. If it friggin works.

Guess my gear! Every single stinking worthless piece of gear you see in the picture.

I repeat, this is NOT a beer brewing thread. I love beer brewing, but come on people, this is a guiter forum!!!!!

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll140/klwasson/?action=tagedit&media=http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll140/klwasson/DSC00096f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

let's just say this Double IPA is nothing to be taken lightly, OMG !!!

very potent, yet so tasty it goes down at the same rate as a 5% ABV beer... so oops, drinking almost 2.5 for each one :eek:

anyway, tried the blue moon clone with the blueberry and nutmeg today. 1 week after being bottled. i am not too impressed. oh well, it is beer, although somewhat fruity tasting. it's really like nothing i have had before, but that's okay, it will be drank in full :D

• Members

Bottled the witbier, the saison, and the weirdy Belgian Christmas ale today. All three are quite good (though the Christmas ale is off-the-charts weird; it tastes like a big cinnamon-y chocolate banana). A lemongrass&juniper berry IPA is fermenting right now; should be ready in about a month.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

wow that Christmas Ale sounds delicious...

i developed a taste for my Blue Moon clone with blueberry/nutmeg added. nice refreshing summer beer. my girlfriend even like it :eek:

got a bavarian hefe and a belgian white in bottles now... bout another week til their ready.

gotta get back to brewing however, since those aren't gonna last long... :cry:

Archived