Join The Delta Brews, HC Home Brewers and Guitar Stranglers!

trill

• Members
I'm a 20 year old college student. As such, I love beer but cannot procure it easily enough. I would like to take a shot at making some since I have 3 months off this summer. Any tips?

well I am not encouraging underage drinking, but either one of these sites have everything you need...

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/

http://www.northernbrewer.com/

Personally I believe if you are old enough to go fight a war for your country, you're old enough to drink :thu:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Bottled the witbier, the saison, and the weirdy Belgian Christmas ale today. All three are quite good (though the Christmas ale is off-the-charts weird; it tastes like a big cinnamon-y chocolate banana). A lemongrass&juniper berry IPA is fermenting right now; should be ready in about a month.

i keep thinking about your Christmas Ale... :p

care to share the recipe :poke:

• Members
i keep thinking about your Christmas Ale...
:p

care to share the recipe :poke:

Man, I dunno if I'd even call it a recipe. I've only had one bottle of it so far, and it ended up tasting like a licorice-y Samichlaus clone; if I could do it over, I'd definitely do a mini-mash to give it some body, because that's the main place it's lacking. Anyway, I don't remember all the details, but here's a rough sketch of it:

6lbs dark LME
~4lbs light DME
1oz Perle hops @60mins
1.5oz bitter orange peel @15mins.
3 cinnamon sticks @30mins (? maybe. Not sure when we put those in.)

The witbier, however, was a blowout success. We ran out of it, both cases, in the first 20 minutes of the wedding, and we had people offering to pay us to make more. Also, the labels were pimp:
wedwhit.jpg

• Members

sweet label man !!! congrats on the 20 mins blowout :D

and thanks for the recipe...

i gotta blue moon clone kit i brew, i change it up just a bit and it always a huge success. anyone and everyone who has every tried one always want to know when i have it in stock ;)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

i finally got me a bottle of the absinthe, but i have yet to spend a evening with it alone.

i have had several drinks of it in one night, but i will soon need to spend a whole night to the green fairy to thoroughly discover it's secrets....

it did {censored} up one of my light weight friends one night and he didn't like it :lol:

• Members
a week from Saturday, me and my bud are gonna brew again.

we've been inactive for a couple months and my home brew is long gone
:cry:

this time we are gonna do a Honey Bock and a Cream Ale...

who else is busy making the homebrew ????

It's too damn hot down here for brewing. When I do get around to it, I'm going to attempt a clone of Three Floyd's Gumballhead.

• Members
It's too damn hot down here for brewing. When I do get around to it, I'm going to attempt a clone of Three Floyd's Gumballhead.

It's gonna be in the mid 90's around here too...

But my hot tub will be doubling as a pool. with the cover on it and not heat turned on it stays pretty cool...

i'm out of homebrew, gotta do something :idk:

• Members

I've got a few leftover from the last batch I made, anyone in the St. Louis area is welcome to come over and have one.

I started brewing out of necessity in High School when I couldn't find anyone to buy beer for me. I haven't brewed a batch in a while, but I'm feeling a summer brew coming on.

• Members

Favorites that I've brewed or that I've tasted?
I like IPA's. Pliney, Alpine, Victory, etc.
Love Russian River Damnation.

Fullers London Pride, New Glarus Belgian Red, Duvel, Ommegang Three Philosophers, the list goes on and on...

Plus, I really like the beer we brew where I work.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Started brewing in '05, and quickly switched to AG. I haven't brewed for over a year now, and it's too damn hot right now to even think about it. I believe this fall, though, it's on.
:D
It's been too long.

cool, AG, i haven't progressed that far yet, still an extract brewer, but doing a little mini-mash....

and i brewed saturday in 100 degree heat... :eek: it's hot, but i what the hell, with the COLD homebrew and a hot tub that maintains 75 degrees in the summer it's cool...

when it gets too hot, take a dip in the hot tub which cools you down rapidly (remember without heat, it's a a refreshing 75). i really don't know how it stays that cool cuz it gets a little direct sunlight, but it does...

but best of luck to you brother, get to brewing again... :thu:

:wave:

• Members

I got into home brewing about 17 years ago, when first I visited my cousin in Arizona and I went to his local homebrew club meeting. I brew with a combo of extract and grain. I use combination of my home grown cascade hops with pellets or plugs. No kits per se. I best style for which I have won several club awards is American Pale style ale. I have brewed Stouts, Porters, Weizens, Dunkel Weizens, Pale Ales, IPA's, Kolsch and a Belgian Abbey. I can't remember any more beers styles off hand.

Commercial Brands I like:
Flying Fish all styles: a regional micro here in Jersey
Yeungling
Sam Adams
Anchor
Stella Artois
Rolling Rock
Flying Dog and/or a most any well made micro

18 years is a long time to try different types of beer.

I haven't brewed in about a year and a half since we have been remodeling in the house. I'll crank up a batch in in a few weeks after the heat of August is gone.

Back in the day I used to do meads as well. I switched that to wine about 7 or 8 years ago.

• Members

I have brewed in the past, using a kit. Tried a Weissbier, which was aptly named Scheisswasser, a Brown ale named SG ale, and a Lager, which was wholly unremarkable.
I'd like to set up again and try another crack at brewing, but with better equipment. Maybe that'll be my next project!! (or another guitar)
My favorite commercial beers are Newcastle, Bass, Guinness, pretty much anything from the UK.

• Members

Am I in early enough for the mascott position? Admitadly I have never once in my life brewed beer. However, you will be very glad that I came to the party. I bring: Home made wines, home made brandies (too many to list) home made maple syrup, the best baked beans you will ever fart out & I cook up a mean trash can turkey for any event!

• Members

homemade wine and brandies huh? cool !!!

i have to rack two beers from their primary to secondary today...

drinking: Cream Pale Ale and Texas Honey Bock
bottled: Belgian Ale and Irish Red Ale
fermenting: Pumpkin Ale and Fat Tire Clone
on deck, to be brewed in 2 weeks: American IPA and Holiday Special Ale

it's been a banner year, i have brewed 14 batches in '08 :thu:

Archived