Join The Delta Brews, HC Home Brewers and Guitar Stranglers!

trill

• Members

Do you brew your own beer?

Do you actually play any of the guitars you GAS over on these boards?

If the answer's yes, you're being drafted, soldier! Whether you're brewing extract or all-grain, fingerpicking Joe Pass tunes or slamming out the brewtal riffz, all are welcome to the Delta Brews. I'll even offer to give some tips to those who are interested in homebrewing, but haven't actually taken the plunge.

What's your brewing setup? What have you brewed lately? What are your favorite commercial beers? Can anyone hook me up with some Russian River?

Music and beer are probably my two favorite things, ever. They should get married and make little diatonic, alcoholic babies.

TEH LIST:

me

GuitarNoobie

Samnite

jaxn slim

SPACECHARGE

gtrjones

brewgoodbeer

kmarsh

BrewBuck72

JimboJ

stormin1155

clay sails

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I brew my own! No kits. I use whole grain barley, light malt, etc. I am currently working my way through a stout that I've had aging for about 6 months now. I usually make 2 batches at a time. Next up is a golden wheat ale and an English bitter for Spring.

And then I'll o ahead and lay down my stouts and porters for next winter in about May or June.

• Members

Awesome, you're added to the roster.

I just started brewing a few months ago; I've done a double IPA, a saison/lambic hybrid, and this weekend I'm doing a witbier. I'm only working with extract right now, but I'm doing my first lager (doppelbock) next month, and hopefully I'll go all-grain by the end of the year.

I'm in Mississippi, where any beer above 6.25%ABV is illegal, so I try to homebrew things I can't get around here.

• Members

Sign me up guys. I like to brew dark ales... using grain and extract. My next one is a black Bavarian Lager. I'll probably cook it up on Friday.

I think lower-alcohol German lagers are very good styles to choose for homebrewing. If you've got a lagering setup, they're cheap, and they're one of the few styles of beer that really can't make a journey across the pond without suffering at least a little.

When the weather warms up, I'm definitely going to brew a Berliner weiss.

• Members
Awesome, you're added to the roster.

I just started brewing a few months ago; I've done a double IPA, a saison/lambic hybrid, and this weekend I'm doing a witbier. I'm only working with extract right now, but I'm doing my first lager (doppelbock) next month, and hopefully I'll go all-grain by the end of the year.

I'm in Mississippi, where any beer above 6.25%ABV is illegal, so I try to homebrew things I can't get around here.

I'm in Alabama, so I feel your pain. We'll see if the legislature FINALLY abolishes the alcohol limit this year. Believe it or not Anheuser-Busch (bastards!) is opposing the measure.

• Members
I'm in Alabama, so I feel your pain. We'll see if the legislature FINALLY abolishes the alcohol limit this year. Believe it or not Anheuser-Busch (bastards!) is opposing the measure.

Ah, you're behind on the times, sir! Free the Hops had a meeting with the A-B distributor, and while they had to lower the alcohol cap a point (it's now at 13.9%ABV), the distributor is no longer lobbying against you.

I don't know how your legislative session is scheduled, but you might be seeing better beer this year, you lucky bastard. Our organization, MEBA, is in its first year of trying to lift the cap, and of course we're seeing opposition from all the usual places. I don't expect to make much progress this year, but at least we'll know who we need to convince.

• Members

i'm in...

been brewing for a little over a year. have about 9 brews under my belt... sorry no all grain here, stricktly a kit brewer. however i do play around with some of the ingredients, adding this or that from time to time.

however, my beer is damn good and better than any domestics i've ever had. my friends :love: the homebrew too !!!

i brew outdoors in a turkey fryer.
primary and secondary fermenters are 6.5 gallon plastic buckets... i know, i know, i need to get some carboys....
bottle into 16 oz grolsch bottles (within the year, i want to turn my garage fridge into a kegerator)

Currently have DIPA in the secondary, OG 1.098, SG when racking was 1.014, 11.2% ABV WOOHOO !!!

Nut Brown Ale in the clearing in the bottles right now. had one this weekend, already carb'd and tasty :thu:

in the past i have done:
john bull american beer
Cooper's wheat w/cherry puree added to the secondary
pumpkin ale (delicious)
double chocolate stout (great beer)
vanilla porter (very tasty)
samual smith oatmeal stout
blue moon clone (added some extra coriander and orange peel to this one. we are gonna brew 10 gallons of this in a 1.5 weeks. to one batch we are gonna add some nutmeg and blueberry puree and see what happens...)

i learned my lesson about a blow over tube about a week ago... :eek:

dcam2410cf1.jpg

• Members
I live in Maine where we have lovely micro breweries... so I don't brew anymore. Shipyard, Gritty McDuff, Geary, it's all good!
:)

As for some beer being illegal... that's asinine. Welcome to the land of the free
:rolleyes:

Hook me up with some Allagash :poke::poke::poke:

I heard they just brewed up the U.S.'s first 100% spontaneously-fermented beer. Quite an achievement! The state of Maine should be proud.

• Members

Been brewing for about 15 years, around 100 brews boiled and consumed. I've done both extract and grain. I now use only DME, as grain brewing with the extra time and work is not worth it to me. I've developed my recipes to the point that they fit my palette perfectly. So, DME, steeping grains and plug hops are my usual. Glass primary and plastic buckets for secondary and dry hopping. I pretty much exclusively brew heavy ales. IPA, Russian stouts,Barley Wine, and Chocolate and Oatmeal stouts. I do a double batch of Dopplebock every winter, my basement is a bit too warm for lagers, but can pull off one in the winter.

• Members

Brewer and gigger here. I've slowed-down on the brewing lately, but have probably done about 40 batches over the past 5 years. Currently drinking and about to bottle some simple amber ales. I don't do my own malt extractions from all-grain mashes, but get my recipes and ingredients from an excellent supply store here in Austin.

Might even get the current batch bottled this weekend!

• Members

I have been brewing a long time. I have owned and operated a commercial brewery that produce 700 bbls a year. I just hated the restaurant side of the pub business. The beer side was great. I have brewed pretty much everything, or at least what I care to. I am an all grain brewer. I use glass for fermentation, but I am switching to a v vessel. As for the comments about alcohol, when you get to the 9 and 10 %ABV you start to get an alcohol warm that begins to detract, in my opinion, from the beer. Yes tripels, barley wine, and some winter warmers creep up there, but those are the exceptions and one is a wine made from barley. Don't get me wrong, I am not a prude. Brew what you like, and like what you brew. I just don't get caught up in alcohol contents. Beer should taste good to you. I love a good English mild and it weigh in around 2-4%abv. However it goes great with a nice meaty sandwich. Brewing good beer is all about brewing what you like.

• Members

SPACE: Yeah, I take them one at a time. I'll probably only drink one out of this six pack this year, and cellar the rest. Bigfoot takes at least a year or two to balance out and get realllly good, IMO.

brewgoodbeer: I agree, to an extent, but I think taking a 9%ABV beer and concealing the alcohol flavors so well that it tastes like it's around 5% is a sign of great brewing prowess. I don't care for the hotter alcohol notes either; beers like Rochefort 10, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, and Bell's Expedition Stout show how a skilled brewer can pack a beer with flavor without setting your throat on fire.

That said, making a lower-alcohol beer that is flavorful enough to stand on its own takes an equal level of skill. One of my top five beers is Three Floyds Gumballhead, which is less than 5%, but has a beautifully complex aroma. Unfortunately, in the US, we don't have the tradition of cask-conditioned ales that they do in the UK. I think presenting low-alcohol beers in this fashion adds many more nuances and layers than simple bottle conditioning.

• Members

. I don't care for the hotter alcohol notes either; beers like Rochefort 10, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, and Bell's Expedition Stout show how a skilled brewer can pack a beer with flavor without setting your throat on fire.

I think if you look into what these people had in mind, at least I know Dogfishhead and Bell's as I know these people, when they brewed these beers was a full flavored beer. They did not set out to brew an ABV. That is what I am referring to. Your ingredients will dictate your SG. You can brew a 10%ABV with German two-row and your hop of choice. The question is what do you want the beer to taste like. Alcohol warm is suppose to be present in certain styles. A Belgian Tripel should have this characteristic. If it does not, then you missed on the style. It will also knock you on your can. I have seen giants go down on this style. I have also brewed a blonde ale that was a winter warmer that would do the same. It was for winter to take the edge off. A customer would come and think they would drink a half dozen. Wrong. After three they were gone. Good beer is about flavor. IF the abv happens to be 10% so be it. If not, that is okay too. It is the brewer's decision what the beer should taste like and how big it should be. That is why we brew. The other thing about brewing your own is that it is fresh. Unfortunately today, and this happens with craft brewers as well, beer sits on shelves, goes from sun light to shade, and from 95 degs to 30 deg. This all has an effect on the final product. Nothing beats from kettle to fermentation to keg to mouth.

By the way this thread should also probably marked OT

Cheers

• Members

I think we're pretty much in agreement :]

I wish brewpubs were more prevalent in MS. Smaller batches give creative brewers the freedom to really flex their muscles, and there's nothing like a really fresh pilsener, bock, or ESB.

• Members

Cool... I was really into brewing about 10 years ago, but then I got married and kids came along, and I just haven't found the time. I don't drink much anymore either. I used to scratch brew most of the time (grinding the grain with a hand-cranked malt mill) and kegged into 5 gallon cornelius kegs (soda kegs). I've brewed a few lagers, but generally stuck to English style ales since that's what I like best and they're a lot easier from a fementation temperature standpoint.

I keep planning to get back into it, but the nearest supply store is about 20 miles away and mail order kills you with the shipping charges. Still, I really have to at least try it again soon.

• Members
Brewer and gigger here. I've slowed-down on the brewing lately, but have probably done about 40 batches over the past 5 years. Currently drinking and about to bottle some simple amber ales. I don't do my own malt extractions from all-grain mashes, but get my recipes and ingredients from an excellent supply store here in Austin.

Might even get the current batch bottled this weekend!

Would that store be Austin Home Brew Suuply? I bet it is...

I order all my kits from them. They have great service, I get my kits in 2 days. Of course I only live 4 hours away, but still great service, great products. They have a huge selection also. Some 1200+ kits !!! :eek:

• Members

just got a blue moon clone kit today...

gonna quadruple the orange peel/coriander just as i have before, but this time i am adding nutmeg and blueberry puree to the secondary...

had a few more nut brown ale's this weekend..., tasty !!!!

so bump this thread up, who else makes their own homebrew and plays guitar ???

• Members

I used to brew years ago as well. This thread got me thinking about firing up a batch. Since I haven't brewed since the pre-internet days, I've been out of the loop. What are the best web sites for recipes? Do you guys buy supplies online or from homebrewing stores? I live in SE PA and I don't even know where to buy supplies around here any more.

• Members

I used to brew years ago as well. This thread got me thinking about firing up a batch. Since I haven't brewed since the pre-internet days, I've been out of the loop. What are the best web sites for recipes? Do you guys buy supplies online or from homebrewing stores? I live in SE PA and I don't even know where to buy supplies around here any more.

try this forum to start:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com

and for online supplies:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com

and

http://www.northernbrewer.com

best of luck man, get back into it... GREAT HOBBY !!!

Archived