Jazz on a tele - Ed Bickert

Faber

• Members

Thanks for the vids! Great stuff, and you are right, this guy shouldn't be under the radar. What talent!

yeah, I must admit I'd never heard of him till I got a live cd with him as part of the Paul Desmond Quartet - Fine fine comping, and soloing that could hold it's own with Desmond.

• Members

He's on Pure Desmond which is pure win.

That it is, and proof that jazz can be smooth without regressing to smooth jazz

Of course, Mike Stern has done jazz on a Tele for about 30 years -- both a Fender Telecaster and later a Yammie "tele" (Pacifica Mike Stern signature model).

I think of his work, outstanding as it is, as more fusion than straight jazz. Love his playing whatever it is.

• Members

That it is, and proof that jazz can be smooth without regressing to smooth jazz

I think of his work, outstanding as it is, as more fusion than straight jazz. Love his playing whatever it is.

+1

I love the whole cool/West Coast approach to jazz. It takes some serious chops and musicianship to burn when it's quiet.

• Members

+1 for Ed. He's definitely on my radar, especially for his brilliant comping and chord solos. heck, he is one guy whose accompaniment sounds like a solo, often more interesting than the guy blowing over him, haha.

yep, his tele tone is sweet and almost sounds like an ES-175, except with more sustain, of course.

Archived