How Desirable Are the Late 80's American Standard Strats?

goldenhose

• Members

show me one person who can "hear" the swimming pool route. Some people are just weird. Late 90s am stds have a SP route as well, I have one and its a great guitar.

I think I can tell in side-by-side tests tests, but ultimately don't think it matters (see my rant on guitar comparisons in the maple vs. rosewood fretboard thread). To me the swimming pool rout adds some resonance, a bit of airiness that implies a hint of hollowbody. But there is no way I could ever know what a rout was on any Strat just by picking any one up off the sales floor.

Late '80's Am. Std's. may have the old multi-piece body. Fender used to use 6- or 7-piece bodies and hide them with veneers. This doesn't matter to me either, I buy and play guitars that sound and play good to me, regardless of construction, parts or finish used.

Ultimately, since they just kept making the Am. Std. (at one recent time, calling it the American Series) and prices are still reasonable, the used price for any Am. Std. is kept in check around or below $700.

• Members

you dont need to remove the pickguard to figure out which route. just gently tap the pickguard with your finger and youll be able to tell if theres anything behind it.

I dont have any preference but think it would be cool to own both routings to see what the differences in sound is.

• Members

When it comes to 80's Strats, definitely anything post-CBS (ie: after 1986). After that, I would hunt for one that feels and sounds great to your ears.

I wouldn't worry about the swimming pool route. It does give a little more "air" to the tone, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The Fender 69's generally get pretty good reviews, from what I've heard.

• Members

I've had four '89s... Two standards, a Plus, and a Clapton strat. I still have the standards and the Clapton.

They are all excellent strats - great sound, and the best necks I've ever played. They're quite light too. When looking for used American strats, I go out of my way to find '89s. They just feel right :cool:

• Members

I think I can tell in side-by-side tests tests, but ultimately don't think it matters (see my rant on guitar comparisons in the maple vs. rosewood fretboard thread). To me the swimming pool rout adds some resonance, a bit of airiness that implies a hint of hollowbody. But there is no way I could ever know what a rout was on any Strat just by picking any one up off the sales floor.

If anyone else had posted this I might have just posted a rolleyes.;) But you are the one guy on this board that I would actually believe could tell the difference.:lol:

• Members

Although i've never owned one, a friend had a 89 (maybe a 90) strat plus with the laces'. basically the best clean sounding and playing strat i've ever heard. i've come close to buying multiple late 80's strats. i think they relaly got it right when they got together and made the new standard (new back in the 80's). my good friend has an 89 telecaster standard that is the best playing and best sounding telecaster i've ever played. i don't know what it is, but man, its got some hot overwound pickups and they appear to just be stock, must be the TBX.

Seems like they've come full circle as the new 2008 standards are the best stock instruments they've made since then.

• Members

My '91 is a swimming pool route. Everything about the guitar was solid and well assembled from the day I bought it new. The pickups didn't compare to to what my newer Strats came with stock. I first replaced the bridge pu with a Carvin AP11 (?). That upgrade served me well for about 4-5 years. After that- I upgraded to to Fat 50's. That was a HUGE upgrade and served me well for about 2 years. Here it is at that point:

BWStrat.jpg

But then I simply got bored and wanted to take advantage of the swimming pool route- so I went to P-90s. That was a great upgrade, if not as complex a tone. I used Mighty Mite P-90s- all of around $35 for the set of three. It really turned it into a ROCK machine. Nice clean tones, but very fat and hot.

P-90Project3resized.jpg

P-90Strat4resized.jpg

It's a heavy Strat, but it has always intonated well and the I have never had to tweak the neck much on it. Oh-- and I have absolutely ZERO qualms with a swimming pool route. I like the P-90 conversion so much that I will probably get another SP-routed Strat to do the same again.

PaulS

• Members

I really like mine but have read bad things about the swimming pool rout. Im thinking about getting another one but am thinking about getting one without the sp rout.
:blah:

They cool axes.

But at any rate........Fender is making some great guitars these days. I imagine that for around the price of a "vintage" 80's MIA you would be close in price to a brand new American Standard.

Archived