audition at a church

cincy_cosmo

• Members

They will probably give you a lead sheet and you will play along with the band. If you're at all familiar with any of the songs, you can add some embellishments and fills that will add to the song.

If you play any leads, try to keep them melodic and relatively simple. Most leads breaks, if the song even has one, are only a few measures long.

What level of praise team will the OP be joining? Is it a paid position or is it like Robert Duvall's church in the Apostle where the pastor invited anybody with an instrument to play?

My audition consisted of jamming with the team and when the bass and keyboard players went off to school they asked me to try playing bass to fill in. A lead sheet is a luxury, unless the song is one of the older hits in a fake book that I have at best I had the chord and lyric sheet and if the setlist was in pencil before rehersal I got a chance to hear the song by the artist the team leader was trying to replicate.

Personality is more important then skill, especially if it is not a pro level praise team. Listen and figure out who is playing the lead instrument and don't step on what that guitar or keyboard player is doing. If they want you to play the solos and fills on those instrumental breaks the leader will let you know.

Being humble, following the leader are the qualities looked for. Now if you're a hired gun at a larger church a different set of expectations exist.

• Members

What the... ?

Its a commen prejudice when discussing modern praise music. Gospel and urban gospel is seen as authentic while CCM takes on the "lame" label. As if all gospel is great and all CCM is an attempt to be U2 with a greater mention of God.

• Members

The hardest part for me in a worship band has been knowing that half the time I could play or not play, hit wrong notes, or play Hendrix and it wouldn't matter because the volume is too low to notice. The other half of the time I get to contribute some, and do some lead work. But that humility thing is tough. Much different that a 3 piece band. You will probably make an important contribution, it's just not the same as being lead guitarist for a cover band sometimes.

Just play some nice riffs as you "warm up" - then smile and act all shy. then some strumming with finely chosen chords, some finger style, and a modern christian song and you are set. I suggest "Zero" or "Dare you to move" for a crossover song if you are clueless about Xn Music. "Indescribable" by Tomlin or maybe better yet "Surrender" by anybody. Youtube has your cover.

If you are actually a serious Christian, play your favorite worship song and worship with it - you are in for sure and "getting" what it's all about. No joke at all - worship is what it's all about.

• Members

Its a commen prejudice when discussing modern praise music. Gospel and urban gospel is seen as authentic while CCM takes on the "lame" label. As if all gospel is great and all CCM is an attempt to be U2 with a greater mention of God.

I can't say all gospel is great, not by a long shot.

And "urban" doesn't describe primarily non-Caucasian congregations here.

But your description of current contemporary "worship", is pretty good, but I'd replace "greater mention of God" with "lack of emphasis on rhythm section"

• Members

I play guitar at church...and sing...
:cop:

You're missing the point. In the same post went on to say that while some guitarists do sing, it's extremely rare that the position they're expected to fill (remember, this thread's context is a person auditioning for a place in a church band) is for a guitarist who must sing.

As part of your auditioning/intake process, were they insisting on someone who could do both?

I bet not.

• Members

You're missing the point. In the same post went on to say that while some guitarists do sing, it's extremely rare that the
position they're expected to fill
(remember, this thread's context is a person
auditioning
for a place in a church band) is for a guitarist who must sing.

As part of your auditioning/intake process, were they insisting on someone who could do both?

I bet not.

I agree if we are taking about a church's praise team and not an independent gospel band it would be generally unheard of. People don't limit the size of their ministries as a general rule. If the church is large enough to hire out and hold formal auditions then they have room to hire a guitarist who does not sing. In fact their mass choir may be larger then an average church congregation. If they are not that large the "audition" is more about personality. And they still will have many people willing to step up and sing backup. They will make room for them. Limiting to a power trio for example is just not the church way

• Members

They will probably give you a lead sheet and you will play along with the band. If you're at all familiar with any of the songs, you can add some embellishments and fills that will add to the song.

If you play any leads, try to keep them melodic and relatively simple. Most leads breaks, if the song even has one, are only a few measures long.

The most important thing is to use very little distortion!!! It may sound good at home when you practice but sounds very buzzy and unpleasant in a worship band setting. I use a Bad Monkey with the gain knob at less than half and that is plenty. You want to hear some definition when you play chords. Add a bit of gain for leads.

I have played in worship bands for over eight years. It is a lot more structured than playing in a regular band but it is still fun and musically you will learn a lot.

That has been my experiences also and good suggestion on the distortion usage also.

• Members

Hello,

I took the suggestion of staying out of the distortion and only invoked a crunch once...anyway I guess I'm in...I was asked to play Sunday. The people were warm and encouraging and it was a blast...the biggest challenge being getting used to in-ear monitors and of course some music I've never seen or heard before.

How did 'stomin1155' do?

• Members

Hello,

I took the suggestion of staying out of the distortion and only invoked a crunch once...anyway I guess I'm in...I was asked to play Sunday. The people were warm and encouraging and it was a blast...the biggest challenge being getting used to in-ear monitors and of course some music I've never seen or heard before.

How did 'stomin1155' do?

Glad to hear it went well for you Cosmo.

The band I auditioned for is basically in the re-forming stage. Their drummer and bass player left, so it was the keyboardist (who was just filling in for the regular keyboardist), the other guitarist, three singers and me. None of us instrumentalists had played together or knew the songs, so it was a bit rocky, but once we hit our groove it came together pretty well. The lead singer handed us the music (lyrics/chords) when we got there. We went through 6 songs (to be honest, they all sort of sounded alike to me). Next Sunday they are having their Lords Supper celebration, so asked we use only acoustics. I hit it off pretty well with the other guitarist, and we're getting together Saturday to practice.

....and, oh, by the way, we weren't expected to sing.

• Members

Glad to hear it went well for you Cosmo.

The band I auditioned for is basically in the re-forming stage. Their drummer and bass player left, so it was the keyboardist (who was just filling in for the regular keyboardist), the other guitarist, three singers and me. None of us instrumentalists had played together or knew the songs, so it was a bit rocky, but once we hit our groove it came together pretty well. The lead singer handed us the music (lyrics/chords) when we got there. We went through 6 songs (to be honest, they all sort of sounded alike to me). Next Sunday they are having their Lords Supper celebration, so asked we use only acoustics. I hit it off pretty well with the other guitarist, and we're getting together Saturday to practice.

Sounds like your average church. Often the praise leader gets together with the Pastor and the setlist reflects an attempt to relate the songs to the upcoming message. The songs all reflect that theme.

There are some greatest hits that the Christian world expects that everyone as heard since all modern praise groups in all genres of music have performed them. I'm not saying go out and buy Time Life subscription of Praise music disc but listening to a praise music compilemation CD might help bring you up to speed.

We have an African who was suprised that I didn't know the hymns. A quick explanation that I was not raised in the church was all that was needed. With newer songs which are linked to one artist or original material leaders normally bring a recording. A true exercise in hear and play.

You might ask the leader if he can bring a CD or MP3 of all the songs also. Especially if you are new to the Christian world.

Archived