What Do Jumbo Frets Do For You?

goldenhose

• Members

Really though. Small frets may make it a little more difficult to bend but you dont lose intonation fron fretting to hard like some people do with large frets and lighter gauge strings. As far as sustain? I am defying anyone here to notice the difference. Use a compressor for sustain.

I am still waiting for my titanium frets soz I dont wear them out so fast...major problem for me.... major problem.....major

• Members

I play rock and blues

I dont like Jumbo frets. I have an ESP VIPER 1000 LTD and hate those frets.

It is too easy to have off tune chords on Jumbo frets based on the pressure you apply on different fingers.

Apparently Jumbo frets have their uses for Lead. But I dont like sliding on jumbo frets, its like driving at 100 MPH over speed bumps.

Ibanez lists almost all their guitars as jumbo frets but I would classify them as "medium Jumbo". The S5470 Jumbo Fret Ibanez I tried was much more comfortable for me than my Jumbo fretted ESP LTD VIPER 1000

So you really need to check how jumbo is jumbo as definitions vary !!!

I like the frets on my TOKAI Les Paul. They are just right for me

The Frets on my MIJ Fender Jaguar are too small, but I would rather have that any day than too big.

I am researching a new guitar at the moment and had my eyes on a Fender Telecaster MIJ 2 HB with split coils and Flamed maple. Looks great but then I found out it had jumbo frets. See what a reviewer said here

• Members

The frets on my LP Goddess are enormous. I wondered if I would like it at first, but now I miss not having them on my other guitars.

It's especially nice for a sloppy barre-chord player like me, because all those strings that I used to occasionally not quite voice (because it was under the fold of my knuckle or something) ring out loud and proud with the bigger frets.

I thought it would create major tuning problems, but it doesn't, at least not with the 10s I have on the LP.

Archived