Callaham V/N tremolo ==> Cure for the dreaded high E string problem

Deuterium

• Members

I had posted this on the Unofficial Yngwie Malmsteen Forum...and thought I would also post a copy here on HCEG forum, as well.

I hope this may be of help for anyone who has a modern Fender Strat that features a vintage Fender 6-screw "synchronized" tremolo system. Specifically, for those who have encountered the dreaded high "E" string of Death. This is the problem where the high "E" string (and sometimes the low E) are too positioned too close to the edge of the fret, which results in the string being prone to slipping off the neck during aggressive lead/solo playing.

Through much trial and error, I have determined the underlying / root cause of this phenomena, which will be apparent by the end of this article. But first, I would like to discuss the wonderful Callaham V/N tremolo system. I have included pics with short descriptions, below. Also, just a bit more back-story. I recently installed a new Wilkinson VSV400P on another one of my Fender YJM Strats...and I couldn't have been happier with the results. So, the Wilky VSV400P was a tough act to follow...however, the new Callaham V/N tremolo is completely up to the challenge.

Here is a pic of the Callaham V/N tremolo out of the box. The V/N stands for Vintage/Narrow, which means it has a vintage screw mounting spacing of 2-7/32", but modern (narrow) E to E string spacing of 2-1/16"...which means it directly retrofits on all YJM Strats that use the vintage style, 6-screw Fender Synchronized Tremolo.

P1010029a.jpg

Here is a nice shot of the back side of the Callaham V/N, showing the precision bevel which cuts across the middle diameter of the screw mounting holes. See Callaham's website for explanation as to why this is superior to Fender's bevel, which begins just past the screw holes. The sustain block is made from cold rolled steel, to same exact specs as true vintage Fender trems.

P1010033-1.jpg

Here I have replaced the stamped vintage type saddles with my preferred Graphtech Ferraglide / Stringsaver saddles.

P1010041a.jpg

And here is a pic of the Callaham V/N, now installed on #1 YJM:

P1010047.jpg

So...what is the verdict ??

Guilty !!! Guilty of being one bad ass tremolo, superior in all respects to the stock Fender trem...and tied with the Wilkinson VSV400P (which I have raved about in a previous thread).

Both the Callaham and Wilkinson VSV400P provide superior sustain and tone (compared to stock trem), while greatly improving the over-all action, smoothness, sensitivity, and precise return to pitch performance of the tremolo system. The improvement in sustain and tone is quite noticeable, as are all the other aforementioned benefits. I like either tremolo equally well, so I can't really pick which one I would recommend over the other. If you want a more modern and sleek looking vibrato, then I'd say go for the Wilky VSV400P. If you want to maintain the vintage aesthetics, then go with the Callaham V/N.

Both trems feature narrower E to E string spacing, versus the stock "Vintage" Fender trem. So, they both will help solve any issues of the E string slipping of the neck. The Callaham is a smidge narrower, at 2-1/16" string spacing, versus the 2-1/8" of the VSV400P. So if you have a real bad E string problem, then the Callaham will provide just a tiny bit extra margin, compared to the VSV400P.

There has been a lot of complaints written in regards to the high E string problem on certain Fender Strat models. All the reports I have come across on the 'Net have chalked this up to either a poorly cut nut, an improperly positioned bridge, or a neck that has shifted in the pocket. Indeed, any of these can cause the problem. However, this problem has been wide-spread, and occurs with alarming frequency (especially with the YJM Strats). It is my opinion that the underlying, root cause of the problem is due to Fender's continued use of a vintage trem with vintage string spacing (2-7/32") on modern necks which are slightly thinner (less wide) then the true, early vintage Strat necks.

Fender could solve this issue once and for all, by simply changing over to a trem that has a 2-1/16" E to E string spacing. It is so simple that I can't believe no one has discovered this before (that I know of). Although, I'm sure some of the good folks at Fender know about this, but for whatever reason, they stubbornly stick with the vintage tremolo string spacing, and continue to put out guitars that are virtually unplayable when in the hands of an experienced / advanced guitarist (without significant mods of the type I have just explained).

For shame, Fender...for shame !

I seriously would recommend any of you with either YJM or vintage style strats, consider changing out the stock tremolo for either the Callaham V/N or Wilkinson VSV400P.

For those interested in learning further about the Callaham V/N, here be linky to their website:

http://www.callahamguitars.com/

Cheers,

Deuterium (John S).

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

No one here has the "High E string of Death" problem ??
:(

Yes, I have the "E string of Death" problem, but in my case (on my scratch built Tele, made to Fender specs) it's the Low E. (I've got a Wilkinson VS100, with 2-1/8" E to E spacing.)

I worked at solving it by careful making (and re-making) a new bone nut, being careful to space the strings as far as practical from either edge of the fretboard. But I was still falling off the fretboard with the low E, when fretting on the higher frets.

The low E just doesn't run true with the edge of the fretboard. The High E is fine and runs true with the fretboard edge--which is more important to me, with my style of playing, but it is frustrating when the low E falls off during what is otherwise a magnificent run up the neck.

I thought it might have to do with the alighnment of the neck in it's mounting pocket, but my investigation of that turned-up no problem.

After reading your post, I'm inclined to agree that I shoud be running a bridge with a narrower spacing.

And maybe working on my fretting technique.

• Members

Well, well, well...

I find it very gratifying that someone else has mentioned the same flaw occuring elsewhere, that I have found in many of the EJ Strats. I thought that it might be occuring across the board and now we have the evidence.

Firstly, it proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm not insane and secondly, it will bring this issue to the attention of more players before they buy guitars, without checking them over carefully.

It's obvious that some Strats are leaving Fender with misaligned necks but even the guitars that are perfect suffer from the "E" strings being very close to the edges of the fingerboard. Too close for many of us.

I just measured the string spacing on my EJ Strat at 2 1/4" at the adjusting screws, which makes the actual string spacing 2 3/16" where they cross the saddles. My Callaham SS Vintage bridge is exactly the same.

Therefore, if your measurements are correct, the "Vintage Narrow" bridge is 1/8" narrower. Thats a bunch and enough to solve the problem. I expect that some players will cut a new narrower nut, while most will leave well enough alone. (I would!) Either way, that'll make a big difference above the 5th fret.

I'm still on the fence concerning my new EJ, as the strings on this one are right where they should be but within the next few days I'll be installing a Callaham Vintage replacment trem assembly and then, if I'm still not satisified, I'll give Callaham a call and ask some questions.

Now, If we could just get Fender to install the necks straight...

Thanks for the info! :thu:

• Members

I fixed my low E "problem" on my strat with a simple fender "neck adjustment"...

This boiled down to simply setting the neck straight in relation to the body.
:)

If that worked for you, thats fine but my original EJ had a string runnout problem that was bad enough that the Fender Certified tech destroyed my guitar while "fixing" it. That led to Fender replacing the instrument with a new one.

Infortunately, that STILL would not have fixed the problem that we're discussing here.

Go back and reread our posts!

• Members

If that worked for you, thats fine but my original EJ had a string runnout problem that was bad enough that the Fender Certified tech destroyed my guitar while "fixing" it. That led to Fender replacing the instrument with a new one.

Infortunately, that STILL would not have fixed the problem that we're discussing here.

Go back and reread our posts!

Sheesh, fine...

And I did read the posts and saw the issue and solutions you posted. However, I was just pointing out one of the simple solutions that I found on my strat... no need to yell at me about it :cry:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry to bring up a dying thread. But I just encountered this problem on a friends Mex. Deluxe Fat Strat. The bridge is def. the problem in this case. Its seriously looks like the bridge is just made wrong to begin with. The bridge isnt even inline with itself. Forget about being inline with the guitar lol.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

I was wondering in relation to the high E problem has anyone noticed that the frets are being rolled off just a tad before they reach the edge of the fretboard.? And this is referring to YJM strats..Another point, also it seems to me on the YJM strats this high E drama is more associated with the latest generation of them..I didnt run into this problem on models dating from 1998 thru 2006..Has anyone else noticed this..?

• Members
9 hours ago, C.P said:

I was wondering in relation to the high E problem has anyone noticed that the frets are being rolled off just a tad before they reach the edge of the fretboard.? And this is referring to YJM strats..Another point, also it seems to me on the YJM strats this high E drama is more associated with the latest generation of them..I didnt run into this problem on models dating from 1998 thru 2006..Has anyone else noticed this..?

Are you talking about the beveled end of the fret?   That's true on just about every guitar, ever.

Usually the string alignment is caused by the neck alignment and can easily be fixed.   Loosen the neck screws and wiggle the neck side to side until you like how the E strings are positioned.  Tighten the neck screws.  Done.

• Members

I have two Strats with Wilkinson ( correct me if I use the wrong # for the Wilky ) VN 100, a much better trem than the traditional 6 screw Fender Trem system.

I added a roller nut from Dragonfire with six rollers for each string and Sperzel locking tuners.

On the G,B and high E strings, I double wrap those strings before I lock the tuner down on the string and tune. Plus having string trees with roller wheels helped improve my tuning.

Plus, I also slacked the spring tension in the back on the lighter string to get better tuning stability on my Strats .... Not anywhere near my Floyd Rose guitars, but good enough.

Archived