Got some Tele questions

Hoople Head

• Members

I've decided that I'm well past due to add a Tele to the collection. Been thinking about a MIM or a Xaviere.

Went into GC yesterday to try out the MIMs (marked down $20, btw)... Wasn't really blown away. Liked the feel, but they all sounded pretty much like my MIM Strat. So then I grabbed a Highway 1. I thought it sounded a lot like a Tele should sound. Problem is, Highway 1 is probably a bit out of my budget right now.

So the question is this... aside from the finish, it seems to me that the biggest differences between the MIM and the Hwy1 are the pickups and the bridge. Does that account for most of the difference in sound b/n the two? Could I get a MIM (or Xaviere for that matter) sounding like a Hwy1 with a bridge and pickup upgrades? (Actually, the bridge on the X looks like it's already vintage style, as opposed to the MIM)

(On a side note... WTF do they do with the guitars at GC? All of the MIM teles were nasty dirty, and 3 out of the 4 had f-d up input jacks. Do they have clean/new ones in the back somewhere?)

So should I try to fix up one of the cheaper boys, or maybe hope for some nice sales on the Hwy1's over the next few months?

• Members

Honestly, I think Xaviere, Jay Turser, and Fernandes (no longer being made) make excellent Tele styled guitars which all hold their own against any import Fender. Pickups are such a subjective thing, some people buy top of the line guitars and still switch them out. Of the 3 I mentioned above, I like the Xaviere XV-820 stock neck pup the best and the Turser JT-LT-Dlx stock bridge pup. The Fernandes stock pups are long gone, but the neck was pretty muddy.

If the Xaviere seems tempting to you, why not give it a try as they have an excellent return policy. On the other hand, if that Highway 1 really spoke to you and you care about having Fender on the headstock, then I would go ahead and get it.

• Members

I'll tell you this. It took me about $200 in upgrades to really love my MIM Tele (see my sig)... and I'm looking to get an Xaviere soon. They're just so affordable - and as you said - they already come with some vintage attributes.

So suppose you get the Xaviere, upgrade the tuners and maybe the nut, and pickups (don't know why, they're GFS)... you can mod your way to that Tele tone and feel for less than what an MIM Tele will cost you initially.

I'd go Xaviere.

• Members

If you have played a guitar that you really like...save up for it. Buy a cheaper one to fill in until you have enough.

Made in America Peavey teles can be had on ebay for under $200, often times with a case. They are a great deal. A lot of them have had pickup changes but that can be easily taken care of. The other brands mentioned are also a good choice.

Often times the cheaper ones that I bought while saving for a better one turn out to be awesome and my GAS for the more expensive ones went away.

Surfy

• Members

If you can find a good MIM player go for it, pups are an easy swap. The players are out there, you just have to play alot of em to get one you like. In the mean time, save up and you may find a cheaper HW1 along the way. They are out there too.

True on both counts.

• Members

I've decided that I'm well past due to add a Tele to the collection. Been thinking about a MIM or a Xaviere.

Went into GC yesterday to try out the MIMs (marked down $20, btw)... Wasn't really blown away. Liked the feel, but they all sounded pretty much like my MIM Strat. So then I grabbed a Highway 1. I thought it sounded a lot like a Tele
should
sound. Problem is, Highway 1 is probably a bit out of my budget right now.

So the question is this... aside from the finish, it seems to me that the biggest differences between the MIM and the Hwy1 are the pickups and the bridge. Does that account for most of the difference in sound b/n the two? Could I get a MIM (or Xaviere for that matter) sounding like a Hwy1 with a bridge and pickup upgrades? (Actually, the bridge on the X looks like it's already vintage style, as opposed to the MIM)

(On a side note... WTF do they do with the guitars at GC? All of the MIM teles were nasty dirty, and 3 out of the 4 had f-d up input jacks. Do they have clean/new ones in the back somewhere?)

So should I try to fix up one of the cheaper boys, or maybe hope for some nice sales on the Hwy1's over the next few months?

A three saddle bridge probably makes the biggest difference/biggest improvement.

I bought a Squire Affinity Tele for $130, put an Allparts Fat Neck $150 on it, a new Wilkinson Bridge $60 with compensated saddles, and some good pots and pickups.

Plays and sounds incredible. The closest stock Tele would be the Fender Baja Tele, but mine is better imho.

• Members

A three saddle bridge probably makes the biggest difference/biggest improvement.

I bought a Squire Affinity Tele for $130, put an Allparts Fat Neck $150 on it, a new Wilkinson Bridge $60 with compensated saddles, and some good pots and pickups.

Plays and sounds incredible. The closest stock Tele would be the Fender Baja Tele, but mine is better imho.

Do you know if those Wilkinson tele bridges from GFS fit right into the MIMs, or your Squier? I can't really see how the screw holes are lined up for the modern bridge from the pictures online.

• Members

Do you know if those Wilkinson tele bridges from GFS fit right into the MIMs, or your Squier? I can't really see how the screw holes are lined up for the modern bridge from the pictures online.

Probably not. But who cares, it's a Squier. Mine did not line up.

Most modern bridges have different dimensions than "vintage" style bridges. I also made the Squier string through body.

This is the one I got, but not from StewMac

This is a good starting point too:

0303025507_md.jpg

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303025507

• Members

Mmmmm... That one keeps popping up, too. Haven't been able to find one to try out locally yet, though.

You can - as needed - replace the electronics and pickups, if needed the bridge and if needed the neck. Spread out over time you can customize it until it fits you perfectly. If you like fat necks I can highly recommend the Allparts TMFN-FAT.

Here is the scoop on the AFfinity mod:

http://www.frettech.com/mod.html

• Members

So what is your price range?

The HWY1 is an excellent choice.

As WBCSOUND said the Jay Tursers are good for the money. I almost bought their Rosewood Tele last year.

But for the cash, try a Xaviere. Everyone here seems to love them. And they are cheap enough to mod.

• Members

Thanks for all the responses...

So what is your price range?

The HWY1 is an excellent choice.

As WBCSOUND said the Jay Tursers are good for the money. I almost bought their Rosewood Tele last year.

But for the cash, try a Xaviere. Everyone here seems to love them. And they are cheap enough to mod.

Price range... right now I'd like to keep the whole thing under $500, including replacement parts. So I could swing a MIM standard and a new bridge.

For the price though, it's starting to look like the X might be the way to go for now. If I get it and find that I do indeed love the Tele vibe, I can sink some more cash into a more expensive Fender down the road.

• Members

Thanks for all the responses...

Price range... right now I'd like to keep the whole thing under $500, including replacement parts. So I could swing a MIM standard and a new bridge.

For the price though, it's starting to look like the X might be the way to go for now. If I get it and find that I do indeed love the Tele vibe, I can sink some more cash into a more expensive Fender down the road.

The Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster

• Members

If your going to go MIM to upgrade you could look for an MIM Standard ash.

Make a great platform.

psst Bill Lawerence Keystones with a 4way.

That one has the vintage frets. The MIM Standard and the Squier have the newer Medium Jumbo frets - which I prefer. To me it's not worth $450.

• Members

Yes but there are a lot of people that prefer vintage frets.

The Allparts Fat Tele neck has "tall" vintage frets which I like also.

I have played that Ash Tele in a store it just wasn't great overall. For a lot less, ok, but for that price I'd expect better quality.

• Members

I played one of those classic vibes or whatever their called(acoustically)and really liked the neck. Maybe the best bang for the buck. The tech there said those were the best guitars in the store in and sometimes well above their price range. That being said, the MIM guitars dont hold any value even if you have upgraded them. I know 2 people right now with tele's they have 700 dollars in and can't sell them anywhere close to what they have in them.
I say the moral of the story here may be that if you get MIM or whatever keep all the original parts so you can return it to stock if you ever sell it.

• Members

I have three Teles right now in my apartment. While I love the '72 RI and the Classic '50s Tele, the best-playing one has always been my plain-Jane 2002 MIM Standard. And I got it used for $275.

Can't speak for the quality of the Agiles, the SXes or the Xavieres, since I haven't played any, but a used MIM--assuming of course the fretboard's not facing the wrong way and there's not a family of sparrows living in the pickup cavities--is a pretty damn good value, too.

• Members

I'd recommend the Classic 50's Tele almost unconditionally.

Ash body, vintage specs, and the one that I bought is making me seriously consider selling my American Deluxe Ash. I own quite a few guitars, and this one is among the best I own.

They are fantastic Telecasters, right out of the box...possibly one of the best guitars coming out of Ensenada.

If they are beyond your budget, I'd take a look at a Squier Classic Vibe Tele before I'd even consider a MIM Standard.

Archived