Using a bass amp for guitar

diabolusnmusica

• Members

I origionally played bass and for a good year after switching to guitar i was still using my bass amp. Superb clean tones, it's a very honest sound and colourless- in the good way i mean; you're guitar isn't being covered up like so many amplifiers/ speakers do. however achieving decent overdrive sounds was a problem for me, bass speakers (especially paired with a decent horn) are too high fidelity, and you hear the distortion for it truly is- DISTORTION of the signal path- at times it can indiscernable from white noise!!

Clean tones- they work beutifully

Overdrive- requires a modeller to shape the sound coming from the speakers and even at that, will in all likely hood lack much presence in a band mix.

• Members

Hmm. Fender Bassman?

It was the combination of the inefficiancies/lack of fidelity of old loudspeakers that provided the more pleasant tones we hear from these things- modern bass amps and speakers or often too high a fidelity for the overdrie to sound as pleasant.

I've found anyways...

:blah:

• Members

This is a rig I play with (at home) from time to time.

Vox ToneLab on top - out in stereo to a Roland JC120 and an Ampeg B100R bass amp.

DSC01850.jpg

The bass amp warms up the tone and of course pumps up the bass and thump. By itself it sounds a bit too muffled to be a good electric guitar amp. I recall trying it once and quickly retreating. But I do enjoy running them both in stereo.

P.S. That's just a photo I happened to already have canned, so it doesn't show the set up all that well since I took it for the guitar. The piece on top is a JamMan. The ToneLab is out of view to the left.

• Members

A band mate from the early 80's used a Marshall bass 100 watt head. Really not much different than their guitar heads... just heavier bottom. He always had the bass control turned way down.

I use a 1974 Fender Musicmaster Bass amp as my main guitar amp. A tube amp with 12 watts and a 12" speaker, it was really supposed to be a "student" bass amp. But, it puts out great clean AND overdrive tones.

• Members

I have an Ampeg BA-112 bass amp. I use it all the time as my clean guitar amp. (I've been practicing with it all morning as I've been watching football.)

It's a freaking amazing clean amp...and also a kickass 50 watt bass amp, too! Kinda like a solid state version of a Bassman.

I have the BA115, do the same thing, play around with the tone controls and it can sound really nice.

Sounded better with the tweeter, but had to disconnect it, was really hissy..

Archived