Any VOS Black Beauty owners out there? Is the finish really this dull?

GAS Man

• Members

C178889-body-l.jpg

C178889-closeup-l.jpg

from ebay

0610_12.JPG

I'm "interested" in this guitar, but the shots I see on line all look like the VOS process of "gently aged patina of a vintage classic" is beyond what I'd like. The plating looks worn thin in areas and the black looks almost scuffed, or at least dulled down.

I'd want a black lacquer piano finish and shiny gold plating G-damn-it, not some over priced silly ass relic'ing job, because it's not a vintage guitar :mad:. Now I do have a VOS R9 and it doesn't look bad at all, so I'm wondering if what I'm seeing is relic'ing or just some photo issues. :confused:

Imagine for a second if they reissued the '67 Corvette Stingray, exact in every detail, then proceeded to put dings, oxidation, spot rust and tears in the upholstery for you, and then also charged you a premium for the effort. I guess I don't understand this trend with guitars, not that I'm saying that's what this BB VOS is, but I'd want to know before acting. None in my area to look at.

• Members

Cuz 1) I'm actually looking at the Bigsby version which is only available in the VOS & 2) I'd much rather have the BB1 & BB2 over the 490/498 combo.

The regular LPC has burstbuckers.

So.. You'd rather pay $300 dollars for a $160 bigsby, and a finish you don't prefer?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-Shop-57-Les-Paul-Custom-Black-Beauty-Two-Pickups?sku=517462

• Members

The regular LPC has burstbuckers.

So.. You'd rather pay $300 dollars for a $160 bigsby, and a finish you don't prefer?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-Shop-57-Les-Paul-Custom-Black-Beauty-Two-Pickups?sku=517462

Cool. Last time I looked I must have been looking at the specs for the regular Customs instead of the Black Beauty. Thanks for the correction. But I'd still like a factory installed Bigsby. If I added one to this model, then I'd have (doing the math) $140 holes in it from the original stop tail piece posts. :(

• Members

That finish looks great.

You're talking about the VOS right? I'd certainly like to see it in person. A little bit of "toned down" vintage-ing of the finish would be fine with me, I have no problems with it on my R9, I'm just trying to figure out by this thread how vintaged this BB looks. :confused:

• Members

Cool. Last time I looked I must have been looking at the specs for the regular Customs instead of the Black Beauty. Thanks for the correction. But I'd still like a factory installed Bigsby. If I added one to this model, then I'd have (doing the math) $140 holes in it from the original stop tail piece posts.
:(

Then do a factory bigsby. If perfection is worth it to you, by all means.

• Members

Cool. Last time I looked I must have been looking at the specs for the regular Customs instead of the Black Beauty. Thanks for the correction. But I'd still like a factory installed Bigsby. If I added one to this model, then I'd have (doing the math) $140 holes in it from the original stop tail piece posts.
:(

Then do a factory bigsby. If perfection is worth it to you, by all means.

By the way, if you look at the MF link for the non-vos black beauty, it said optional bigsby vibrato, maybe you should call MF on the phone and specify one? I think that may work.

• Members

^^^

Hey thanks for the post, I didn't see that until just now. It's reassuring, i.e. looks great!!

I just came back looking for this thread to announce - I'm a weak man :freak:

With the temptation of MF's 20% off, I just pulled the trigger on the Gibson VOS 57 LP Custom Black Beauty with Bigsby. Also used their one year interest free (denial) credit plan.

572045.jpg

421299.jpg

421301.jpg

I'm actually shipping it to a relative in Oregon, otherwise I'd be stuck with $316 of tax which would cut back too much on my $940 discount savings. But I've still got to figure out how I get it up to me, 250 miles north. I can pay $80 bucks in gas to visit them and still be $200 ahead of "the game".

No congratulations please, this is a disease. :cry:

But I'm sure it will be beautiful like yours, Great Dane, but mine will have the added feature of never being in tune. :lol:

:wave:

• Moderators

^^^

Hey thanks for the post, I didn't see that until just now. It's reassuring, i.e. looks great!!

I just came back looking for this thread to announce - I'm a weak man
:freak:

With the temptation of MF's 20% off, I just pulled the trigger on the Gibson VOS 57 LP Custom Black Beauty with Bigsby. Also used their one year interest free (denial) credit plan.

572045.jpg

421299.jpg

421301.jpg

I'm actually shipping it to a relative in Oregon, otherwise I'd be stuck with $316 of tax which would cut back too much on my $940 discount savings. But I've still got to figure out how I get it up to me, 250 miles north. I can pay $80 bucks in gas to visit them and still be $200 ahead of "the game".

No congratulations please, this is a disease.
:cry:

But I'm sure it will be beautiful like yours, Great Dane, but mine will have the added feature of never being in tune.
:lol:

:wave:

Man don't worry about it, by the time you've cum over that a few time it'll buff up beautifully

• Members

At least for all the actual vintage lacquer-finished instruments I've seen, the finish is going to eventually get like that anyway. Gibson just sped up the process by about 30 years.

That sounds about right. From the pics it seems to look not that much different than my 76...

lpview.jpg

Maybe next they'll come up with a similar line with a relic finish/hardware and then snap the headstock off and glue it back on at the factory:rolleyes::facepalm:

J.R.

• Members

That sounds about right. From the pics it seems to look not that much different than my 76...

lpview.jpg

Maybe next they'll come up with a similar line with a relic finish/hardware and then snap the headstock off and glue it back on at the factory:rolleyes:
:facepalm:

J.R.

It seems to me that a repaired neck has always been the surest indicator of a vintage Gibson being authentic. Relic-ers always seem to miss that crucial step. :facepalm:

• Members

Man don't worry about it, by the time you've cum over that a few time it'll buff up beautifully

Funny :lol:

I started getting wigged out when my notice of "20% off" arrived, and then I was mental for days once I started thinking about using it on this "black beauty". I thought I might suffer buyer's remorse, but after I pulled the trigger, I was dancin! :D

I'm totally stoked!

Now I just have to stare at my others and see if there needs to be some sacrificial lambs to make way. :lol:

Archived